It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
(female)

crazycookie HB User
L Tyrosine question

Does anyone know if it is safe to use l tyrosine when hypothyroid? I'm on synthroid 100. my tsh is usually 3 point something. i tried 112 synthroid but i think it made me hyper, so i went back down. i have hypo symptoms off and on still. im also on zoloft 100. im always tired and no joy for life. never been the same since i had hypothyroidism. looking for ways to feel better. thank you so much for listening and help would be appreciated!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
(female)

SRC HB User
Re: L Tyrosine question

Hi Crazy Cookie

I was looking at supplementing with L-Tyrosine (it's supposed to be a natural way to increase dopamine) but seems to me the bottle mentioned not to take if taking thyroid supplements. I quit smoking a year ago and developed some weird-*** neuropathy in my body--and was thinking it was the lack of dopamine since smoking increases dopamine. But I was on thyroid meds so didn't want to take a chance. Then I read where hypothyroidism can cause neuropathy so was thinking that was the culprit. Still no answers. Lots of Dr.s don't know about that kind of stuff and some of the Health Food people are a little sketchy so it's a crap shoot out there sometimes.

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
(female)

crazycookie HB User

thankyou for the reply SRC . My bottle didnt say anything like that. many supplements had sea kelp and iodine in it as well.i just bought the tyrosine only. when i quit smoking years ago i gained weight fast and felt pretty down. I still dont smoke. congrats to you for quiting. It's so funny how so many things mess with your thyroid. maybe someone who tried it will let us know. thanx again!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

crazycookie--

Just to let you know, ...I was dx'd with hypothyroid-Hasihmoto's in July of '03 so that's when I started meds...shortly after that I started taking a lot of supplements, including taking L-Tyrosine. I take 500 mg's a day, and have never had a problem with it. I have taken it all of this time too. I once read some ladies (on this thyroid board, or another), saying that it is fine to take, but if it makes you start feeling angry or aggressive, to stop taking it. I've never noticed it to make me feel that way, although I have felt that way when my levels were still hypo....I could be a bear.

SBC--How are you doing with the neuropathy? I also had that, really bad too. Pins and needles, (severe), numbness in various parts of my body...and it finally got better after my levels were optimized. Well, not really right away, it took a few months. I guess it just took some time for my body to heal, ....those nerves have to heal. You know they say it can take anywhere from 3 months to 18 months, (I've even seen some ladies [on boards] say it took them up to 2 full years before they had complete healing) for all of your tissues to heal up. It seemed to take quite a while for me as well.....I wasn't exactly counting, but roughly, I would say it took a good 18 months after I was optimized before everything cleared up and healed and I once again started feeling good....really good.

A good friend of mine, (who is a year younger than me, [50]), and she also has hypo-hashi's, and we were talking how we still get some pins and needles... from time to time, and it is uncomfortable. (mild for me compared to before) Mostly in my fingers and toes now, but only occassionally. She gets it pretty much the same way I do, and her and I are both convinced that it's from laying around a lot and not getting enough exercise. I do notice when I exercise, it improves, and she notices the same. When I'm out and about with my friends, shopping or whatever, it never bothers me.

So, we think it's a lack of good circulation....blood is not getting (enough) to the nerve endings. Hypothyroid DOES slow down our circulation. The pins and needles that I had in my hands before I was dx'd was so severe, SBC, and I thought it would never go away! I could'nt even hold my cell phone as it hurt too much to hold on for more than a few minutes. I would get numbness in some weird places too. I don't think even exercise would've helped me back then.....I just needed to get on meds and get my levels optimized. Taking T-3 helped a lot too, in addition to my T-4 med. I hope you feel better soon, as I know it's miserable. Are you still working up to getting your levels optimized? If your levels are optimal, has it not been that long, and you possibly still are going through the healing period?

Congrtulations to both you and cookie for quitting smoking....I gave it up too right after my hypothyroid discovery, so over 3.5 years now. (after about 28 yrs of smoking) It's tough, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would/should smoke with this disease.

Deda

Old 02-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
(female)

SRC HB User

Last Cookie. I know the desperation feeling of wanting to have some normalcy back in your life. I wonder if that's ever going to happen but people here say it takes quite a while to get regulated. I've already had a year of hell so am hoping things start looking up soon. The Clonazepam I'm taking at night is starting not to be as effective in helping me get to sleep and don't really want to bring in the bigger guns-yet

Deda. What was your reason for trying L-tyrosine? And how did you come to the 500 mg amount?

Tomorrow will be 1 year for quitting smoking...wish I could say I feel like celebrating; although yesterday was the first time I ever filled out paperwork on something where I actually ticked off "non-smoker" (smoked for 33 years)--Good God, am I really 51 hahah. My how time flies when you're feeling like crap. I am so grouchy, depressed yet anxious. Thought the anxiety only came with Hyper?

I had RAI in September , went Hypo within 1 month. Four weeks ago my TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 were all now "in the range" albeit T's lower end and TSH 2.42 so I asked for another increase in Synthroid to see if that made a difference. He upped it from 100mg to 150mg but I think that was too much so I dropped it down to 125mg. Go for blood work in another couple of weeks so will see. I'm not freezing anymore so thermostat is resetting but still ache all over. Having this neuropathy all over my body is just about driving me crazy and makes the days seem endless. I will hold out hope after reading your message Deda...and just give it more time.

I did go for a BOWEN THERAPY treatment last night. I can't even really describe it fully and have to do more reading on it. Have heard many good things about it so thought I'd give it a try. Can't hurt.

Interesting about the L-tyrosine. I go through phases where I'm a total chicken to try stuff from the Health food store. About 9 years ago I was on an SSRI antidepressant (Effexor) and while visiting my mom I saw this woman who was an irodologist. Long story short, she told me to take St. John's wort also....I did...got very sick, nausea, disoriented etc. Went to Dr. and he totally freaked...said I could have had convulsions and gone into a coma because even though St. John's wort was "natural", if you mix it with certain drugs,(ie. SSRI's)...it can be DEADLY....and I was headed that way. Now I'm really afraid to take anything. My G.P. wants me to take Lugol's iodine but I'm holding off on that. He had just gotten back from a seminar on the West coast so wants his thyroid patients to try it. I'd like to try and get stable on Synthroid first--don't ask me why--I feel like I've been on "high alert" for so long I don't think I want to add one more thing to have to monitor yet.

Anyway, sorry for rambling ladies. Nice talking to you. Keep in touch
Shelley

Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Shelley...

Why did I start the L-Tyrosine?? Well....I was so sick, sick as a dog... and I felt like I was dying, Shelley...I really did, [at times], and I was so desparate to get well, to regain my health, to feel even just a little relief, I guess you could say that I was willing to try just about anything!

I would read and read on these thyroid message boards, and do a lot of research, and I purchased so many thyroid books, and somewhere along the line, I read that it (L-Tyrosine) was possibly good/beneficial if you had thyroid troubles/disease. So I thought, what the heck,...I'll try it. I read of several other women taking it too, [mostly on another board], and I suppose they said how many mg's to take. When I went to purchase it at Vita World, it only came in 500 mg's. I do take a lot of vitamins, Shelley, but I research everything thoroughly before I do so.

Are you taking Omega 3 Fish Oil? I take 3000 mg's of that, per day, as it supposed to help reduce inflammation...possibly those nerve ending are inflammed, who knows....most likely...as thyroid disease causes inflammation problems.

Also, do you take B vitamins? I also take a good B-Complex, as the B's are supposed to be good for our nervous system. So those are a few that I take among others....Vita E, Vita C, Co-Q-10, Calcium, Magnesium, Garlic, Selenium, Cayenne, [herb], B-12 lozenges, Vita D, Zinc, Evening Primrose Oil, and PB-8, (probiotics).... just in case you're interested. I also drink a couple of whey protein shakes daily....important to get all of those amino acids, for good health. I used to also take Maca, [a Peruvian herb root, grown only in the Andes Mt's]...as I heard that that too was good for thyroid health... I just quit taking that one a few months ago.

Shelley, I also changed my diet, (when I smoked, you know, we really don't eat that well, cuz... we'd rather be smoking), but I realized if I wanted to get well again, I better start taking really good care of myself. I eat nothing but healthy, good food now, and have been at least 2.5 years or so. My diet continued to improve as I learned more and more about eating healthy. I eat lots of veggies now, (fresh), good fruit, fish, [very little red meat, but I do eat a little as I don't want to become anemic], veggie juices, (carrot juice is so good!), good whole grain cereals, yogurt [one daily] etc. I never really ate breakfast all of those years that I smoked. Yes, I smoked almost 30 years too, (I'm 51 also), and I quit smoking about 2 and 1/2 months after I was dx'd and started thyroid meds. Shelley, sometimes I too wondered if that's why I became so darn sick, as I have seen so many people on these boards who really got so sick only after they quit smoking. But I was determined never to go back to it, no matter what.

Shelley, I really feel for you with that darn neuropathy. I remember at one point, when I was starting to feel somewhat better, and a lot of my pains were going away, or at least calming down, but I still had all of that neuro pain, (pins & needles, tingling, numbness, etc) and thinking, maybe this is the best it's ever going to get....maybe my nerves are permanently damaged and they aren't ever going to get any better.....I really was beginning to think that was the case with me, as it carried on for so long. I would cry sometimes as I would be so upset, thinking "how can I live feeling this way the rest of my life?" It was horrible!

Weird, ....although I think I had a thyroid problem for many many years before I was finally dx'd, (due to a lot of symptoms going way back in time, and yeast infections for over 20 years straight, that I no longer get anymore!), I did start getting a surge and increasing symptoms starting in Jan. of 2002. I remember Shelley, I came home from work one day and felt this strange numb feeling right below my left breast....it felt numb, and it felt tingly, and it felt like your foot or heel feels when they fall completely asleep, and you get up to walk, but can't really walk as it's too numb...it felt like that. at times,... often really. I remember the first day I felt that, and put my hand over it and thought, "What the hell is this??.....MS or something?...I hope not!" It would come and go, but was there most of the time, and later it was my fingertips and toes, and later my entire hands, both of em, and feet, and other places on my body too.

One thing that I think really helped me the most was getting on Cytomel, (T-3) along with my T-4 med, (Levothroid). I was just looking at my old (thyroid) lab results today [at the Kasier website], and saw that my lab results were just so perfect looking last March, yet I still felt unwell. My Free T4 level was 1.6, (top of the range was 1.7), and my TSH was 0.5, BUT my Free T-3 level was BELOW the middle of the range,....way below it.... So I requested the Cytomel, and slowly I started to feel better. It took about 6 to 8 months to get the full effect from that....every month I felt better, until I finally felt really well again. To tell you the truth, I think it's what really made me get well, and I have a feeling I still would be sick if I had never got on it.

Hey Shelley, ...glad nothing happened to you with the St. John's Wort. I did happen to know that one, as I had thought of taking that before too, for my depressive state I was in....but I was kind of afraid after reading some of that. I take Wellbutrin instead... and I too take Klonopin from time to time, (Clonazapam) as I still have anxiety problems at times. (I've always had this, it stems from childhood, and I will probably always have a problem with it, although it has been better lately) If you feel it losing it's effectiveness, (these type of drugs are known to do this after you've been on them for a while).... you develop a tolerance to them, and you have to either increase your dosage some, or change to another med, (in that same class of drugs,...Benzo's) Also, I had read that they don't really work well if taken with food in your stomach, so I make sure to always take them on an empty stomach. (at least 3 hours after eating anything)

I was just thinking back to that time when I was having all of those neuropathy symptoms....I remember having pins and needles in my chest! Over a large portion of it too.....also, before I got on thyroid meds, and for a little while after, I would get it on my neck too, in front, right around my thyroid gland.....a tingliing, or sharp pins and needles...oh, it felt so horrible.

Hang in there, Shelley....if I can feel this good, after having that for so long, then I'm sure that you can, (AND WILL) too. I really believe you will. Please make sure they test all of your levels, and make sure you get that Free T3 tested too, okay? Will they do that for you over there? If your Free T 3 levels are low, you may need some T-3 med like I did too. But if not, it may and probably will take some time for you to heal. I noticed that you haven't been on meds that long, so give it some time.

Try to get some daily exercise, (if you feel well enough) to increase your circulation, (to get blood flow to your nerve endings) Do you ever have any burning skin, Shelley? I had that one too. Ugh..... thyroid disease can suck, huh? I didn't believe it as I was ready to just throw in the towel, but it can and does one day go back to normal. You'll get there too. Glad you quit the smokes too, you and Cookie. Sure are a lot of people with thyroid disease on the smoking boards. Sorry this is so long....I'm bored tonight, (hubby works late) Cookie...hope you feel better soon too! (please visit us at the smoking cessation board)

Good luck, Shelley...
Deda

Old 02-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
(female)

SRC HB User

Hi Deda. Thanks for the reply. I really enjoyed reading it...makes me feel not so alone with this damn disease. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me.

I just started taking a B-50 Complex, 1,000mg sublingual B12, folate acid, vitamin C, multivitamin/mineral, calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. I'm so NOT used to taking them that I haven't quite "clicked" into a rountine yet but you've given me the "boost" to get on it.

The past year I have been eating so poorly and gained probably 60 lbs. Before that, I was swimming laps every day and going to aqua classes 5x's week and had lost about 30 lbs. Was eating very healthily for about a year and a half. Seems like with the quitting smoking and replacing it with chocolate and chips, then all this thyroid madness, the only comfort I could find was in food...and it was oh so fleeting! I've been waiting to feel better but looks like that's not going to happen for a while so it's time to get off my *** and start eating properly atleast. I can't walk all that fast because my legs feel like they're "lurching" sometimes. It's really icy here right now anyway so not all excited about wiping out.

My last visit to the Dr. I asked him to Please order a Free T3 (I had inquired earlier at the lab if they did the test here and they said it had to be sent away to Calgary--3 hours from here). This is the first time ever I've had that test done in the 20 years I've been on thyroid meds. In fact, it's only been the past few years that he's sporadically done the Free T4. In any case, these were my test results from Jan. 16th:

TSH 2.32 (0.27 - 4.2)
Free T4 12.90 (12.0 - 22.0)
Free T3 3.4 (2.7 - 5.7)
Total T3 1.3 (1.3 - 3.1)

His response at this point was "you're in the range now" and was quite smug when he said my Free T3 was "right in the middle"....well gee, doc, can you add...that's not IN THE MIDDLE....4.2 WOULD BE IN THE MIDDLE.

Think I mentioned I convinced him to increase Synthroid anyway (am on 125 mg now) and go for my blood work next week; so, am curious to see where things sit. I know the Internist I saw who arranged for the RAI said Cytomel would be an option down the road if I didn't get stablized; however, he did say it could take up to 2 years to get things right.

Am curious to see what the Neurologist has to say next Tuesday....what he'll gleam from the radiologist's report of my MRI.

This has been a very stressful year to say the least. We had to euthanize our German Shepherd Rhubarb last April (14 1/2) but still had Nala, our Shepherd/Blue heeler who is now 12 1/2. In December we adopted a 10-month old Belgian Shepherd from the SPCA and it turns out he has OCD (Osteochondritis Dessicans) which is when a piece of cartilage has broken off from his shoulder and is floating around irritating the joing ...limping very badly. Is going to need surgery... and is on a 10-day course of anti-inflams which are making him act very strange. Then, we're meeting with the vet in a week to discuss the surgery...in the meantime, we're trying to keep him calm which is almost impossible because he always wants to go full blast into play mode with Nala. He is so beautiful and such a wonderful guy we couldn't not opt for surgery. Can't leave it because he would become crippled and in alot of pain, and certainly not going to put him down. I'm fretting already though on how I'm going to subdue him AFTER the surgery. Don't think my anxiety level could get any higher.

Anyway, enough whining.

Will keep in touch.
Thanks again
Shelley

Old 02-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
(female)

SRC HB User

DEDA. Question..... when you started taking Cytomel, did your Dr. lower your dose of Synthroid (or whatever T4 meds you were on)? I read somewhere that once you're more or less stabilized on the T4 meds, you lower the T4 dosage by approx 36mg and add 10 mg Cytomel. (T3 is 4x's stronger than T4 so that's why the reduction). I've done so much reading I can't keep anything straight anymore

You asked if I had burning skin...and yes, sometimes it feels like that also. My legs hurt to touch in the calf area most of the time. I also will get mini-vibrations in my chest, mainly when I'm lying down. It will usually wake me up during the night (if having to go to the bathroom doesn't first!!!). This is also weird and not sure if it has anything to do with it or not (and please don't think me too forward) but I have very urgent, loose BM's in the morning....think the nerve thing is affecting my bowels also. Any chance you had that weird little experience? Just wondered 'cause it's awfully strange (especially when you're supposed to be constipated when Hypo).

Thanks again for the messages. Have a good evening.
Shelley

Old 02-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hey Shell !

I was going to write you back in the morining, but since I'm just goofing around on here, I can answer this message now, and I'll reply your other one tomorrow.

NO! I don't think you're being too forward. This disease is so strange, and causes so many things to happen to our bodies, a lot of people get pretty deep, (personal) on here, very often, and I have myself in the past. As far as that vibration thing....Oh YES! I had that, first about a year before my diagnoses, or in the year before. I was sitting here at the computer, (where I always was...if I wasn't on the sofa), and I remember my left foot started vibrating....and it happened off and on a few times too. It would feel like a little vibrator was inside my dang foot! It was like an electrical feeling...humming,...so weird.

Later, after I had been on meds for a while, (I was on Armour) I had that same strange vibrating right in the center area of my chest, also....that worried me even more, but I had so dang many symptoms, (off and on for a couple of years) in my chest area, it wasn't funny. So that went on for a while, and I just started ignoring it. My Dr. had already sent me to a neuro doc, and some other specialists (for other problems), and had done every blood test under the sun, (over and over), and x-rays, etc.....I just gave up....I even took a 5 month break once from seeing any Dr's, as I felt nothing and no one was helping me anyway. I just stayed at home and prayed a lot. Yes, I quit my job too, about 18 months before my diagnoses, as I just felt too terrible and too pooped out to work any longer. (are you still working, Shelly?)

Another weird vibrating place I had, (and this is embarrassing too), was a few times it was in my....ahem....you know, my private parts, up inside. Believe it or not, I've seen that mentioned on here before too, that same symptom in the same place! LOL I've also seen it come up on here for feet and in the chest. Same thing was said, in the middle of the chest. Just type in "vibrating" and "chest" in the searchbox here.,,you'll see. I never had the loose BM's, only when I went very hyper on the Armour. (I did poorly on that med) In fact, I stayed constipated forever, and I still have to work on that....eating All Bran cereal daily, and taking Metamucil sometimes too.

As for the cutting down my T-4 med....she did decrease it by only 12 mg's....from 125 to 112...before I started the T-3.... as she was prescribing me 10 mg of Cytomel. Well, I couldn't start with the 10 mg's....I'm way too med sensitive to thyroid meds. I tried it, but my head was killing me, (bad!) for about 2 weeks, and my skin was burning up, (I mean really burning bad) from the 10....(too much at first).

So I cut down (myself) to 5 mg Cytomel, and went back to see her and let het know, and my levels results came out where I could still go back to 125... As for how much to cut down, well, from what I've read other people have said on this board and another, is that 5mg's of T-3 is equivelent to 20 mg's of T-4....I'm pretty sure that is was I read. I will try to do a search on that tomorrow.....if I remember. (That's one problem that remains to this day....memory is not so good anymore...not like before)

So I am now on 125 Levo, (T4) and still only on 5 mg's T3. I feel very good, but I'm still not losing weight, although I watch my diet very, very carefully. I just know if I got my lazy butt out there on my treadmill and started doing my aerobics again, (just 3 x a week), that I would start losing, as I was able to last summer....I just don't think it's possible any longer w/o some reg. exercise....I'm sure of this. I haven't gained too much wieght, about 14 lbs, but went from a sz 6 originally to an 8 and now a (snug) sz 10. My hips have really got it all,...hips and bootie. I went into menopause soon after I started taking thyroid meds....I was having really screwed up cycles for 2 yrs before that anyway. It seems like as soon as we hit menopause, we gain weight so easily, and all in the hip area, huh?

I was thinking of increasing my Cytomel up to 7.5 (myself) and tell my endo later, as I think there is still enough wiggle room there in my last test results, to up it only by 2.5 mg's. I was thinking maybe just a little bit more T-3 might just rev up my metabolism a bit.... and then tell her about it, (confess) later....if my labs look okay...which I think they would.

Shelley, I'm so sorry about you losing your precious dog, and then all the problems with your other doggie....I know those losses are so difficult too,....people pet's are like family members to them. (my daughter lost her dog recently, and she was so heartbroken) Stress is so bad for this disease, I know. I just lost my dad, (and we were very, very close) last May. I'm still crying some days, feeling lonely... and it's tough. Already lost my brother 6 years ago, and my mom 25 years ago, and now it's just me and my younger brother, who I used to be close to many years ago, but he has turned into a monster,....long story....but I don't need the grief of hanging out with him and his crazy wife, just for the sake of having family around.

I joined a grief support group right after my dad passed away and it was the best thing I ever did. All women of course, and we all have become close friends, and still get together for dinner every Monday night...and one of them I have become very close to...like a long lost sister....really got lucky meeting her...we are so much alike, it isn't even funny....thyroid disease, and all, age, same politics and global views, etc. We get together often for coffee and just hangin out. We discuss all of our dumb little symptoms when we do get them, and we are pretty convinced what we, [both] need more than anything is EXERCISE!!!! Lots of it!! She's a year younger than I am, and lost her hubby to cancer. In fact, all of them are widows, and 3 of them are fairly young....which makes me worry about that....being left alone.

Awww., getting old is hard...my dad used to say that...that the older we got, the harder life becomes. When I first heard he said that, (my aunt told me he said that) I thought, what is dad talking about...life is great ?!!! I was in my very early 40's at the time, my daughter, (our baby) had just left for college, and I was just starting working, (as I was a stay at home mom), and just feeling incredibly well, (I was on Zoloft) and my hubby and I were really enjoying life. Wow, things sure can change to poop real quick, sometimes, huh?

But I have to say, I am grateful for where I'm at now, and things could be a whole lot worse.....my best GF over here is dying of breast cancer, and I see a whole lot of people that are so worse off....so as much as hypo is lousy and it sucks, I'll take it over a lot of other things. Guess we don't have any choice anyway... but, you'll see.... a year from now, I'll bet you'll be feeling super good...if not even sooner, Shelley. The thing is, why do these Dr's always think they have to wait and see how the T-4 is going to do first?? Why don't they just go ahead and give us a small amount of T3 earlier in the course of our treatment, instead of waiting and making us go through all of this pain and crap?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that your surgeon said that you could try Cytomel....maybe you could ask him if you could speed that up a bit? Oh....and looking at your levels, I thought, no wonder the poor girl is not feeling well....your Free T4 is way too low, and you're right....your Free T3 is not even at the mid range....how did he get his M.D. if he can't do math?! Next time, Shelley,...in a nice way, just point that out to him....I used to be wayyy to nice to these [somewhat stupid] Dr's, and they just weren't helping me at all, and once I started getting more aggressive, asking for and demanding what I wanted, ...when she said my levels "looked perfect"...I would say, "well, they may look 'perfect', but I still feel real lousy, and I would like another increase"... seems like I finally started getting the respect I deserved after I started speaking up....and sometimes I just got just a little bit huffy...for one thing, I quit showing that they imtimidated me....because really they didn't any more. I was just so sick if feeling sick, and I thought, I'm not going to let these people ruin my health...they're being well paid to help us, and that's what they need to do.

Oh...this is getting too long winded again, I can't seem to write a short post. lol

Talk to ya soon, Shelley, and keep in touch.
Deda (and what part of Canada do you live in...if you don't mind me asking?)

Last edited by Deda; 02-22-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
(female)

SRC HB User

Hi Deda. Just a quick note here before I go to bed. I've had a horrible day with the vibrating and am exhausted. I was so tired at 8pm I crawled into bed a cuddled with my blue heeler but soon had to get up because of the tingling.

I live in a town (50,000) called Medicine Hat, Alberta. It's about 300 km south east of Calgary (you might have heard of the Calgary Stampede--big cowboy country). And, no, we're not one of the "rich, oil people that drive an SUV" haha although 3/4's of the people here do haha.

I was on desiccated thyroid for 4 years before all this started (and synthroid before that). My Dr. never checked my free T3 and would always just say...your thyroid is ok when I'd go in for my results. When all this started, I phoned his receptionist to get the #'s from my file...she gave me some of them and usually my Free T4 was way lower than the lowest in the range (12.0-22.0) mine were 7.7, 8.3, 11.2, 9.? and my TSH was usually below 1. I'd get this vibrating thing in my chest (that you talk about) every time I'd try to lie down in the afternoon to have a snooze 'cause I was tired. For all intents and purposes by looking at the free T4 one would say I was HYPO, yet the TSH wouldn't show that. But then again, am wondering if I was getting too much T3 and it was suppressing my TSH? Guess I'll never know.

I'm getting so that I don't feel comfortable with my Dr. anymore. He really appears disinterested now. He was so good to me when I first switched to him, then got Breast Cancer and yet now throughout this thyroid fiasco he has not been very supportive at all; in fact, last visit when he said my levels were "in the range" and I said "so what do you think is causing this vibrating/tingling?" His response: "your guess is as good as mine". Nice.

Because of the situation with our Belgian Shepherd and the fact that I'll be tied to him literally for probably 8 weeks after his surgery (date yet to be determined) I've been putting off looking for a new G>P. Although, have heard there aren't many , if any, taking new patients. My husband's doctor said he'd take me as a patient but he's young and does alot of lazer, botox etc so I'm not feeling all that thrilled about my overweight, saggy body and a dr. who treats women to make them look young again. Better do something soon though because I've missed having my yearly physical this January so don't want to put that off too long, especially with my history of cancer.

You're fortunate to have your friends from the grief group. My mom died almost 3 years ago and I don't think I've fully recovered from that. I have no family here or friends. We moved here 10 years ago when my husband's father died, to look after his mother My daughter is 22 and graduated from Concordia University in Montreal,, Quebec and is living there now; and our son, who is 25, is back in school getting he's teaching degree in French in Edmonton(8 hours north of here so we see very little of him)

(Actually, there is an older lady I met who leads a breast cancer group and she and I keep in touch and have tea once in a while.) I used to see my youngest sister maybe 4 times a year when we'd meet up at mom's (5 hour drive from here in a small city called MOOSE JAW) but that doesn't happen anymore. I haven't seen her for almost a year and a half. My other two sisters live out at the West Coast, one in Vancouver, the other on Vancouver Island. One of them came here last summer for 3 days and it was so wonderful...I miss them so much. I'm really thankful we have a good telephone plan so I talk to my one sister at the coast every day, and the younger one a couple times a week. The third sister--well, kind of had issues when mom died so don't talk to her much.

I'll write again soon, (probably repeat myself haha--attention span of a knat!) Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you so much for corresponding.

Shelley

Closed Thread