It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
I miss me

My hubby snuggled up to me in bed last night and it just made me start crying. I miss the old me, and I'm so sure my hubby and kids miss me too.

I miss having a sex life (pretty sure my hubby does too!)
I miss being able to hop in the car and not worry about having vision issues or getting dizzy.
I miss being able to exercise without fear of falling because of my neuropathy.
I miss eating or drinking whatever I wanted and not worrying about the effects (other than gaining weight).
I miss going to bed at night and just dozing off to sleep without any issues.
I miss having more patience and energy to interact with my kids.
I miss having the will to clean my house or work on my scrapbooks or do anything besides study thyroid issues.
I miss being more involved with taking care of my elderly parents.
I miss feeling like a middle aged mom instead of an old sick person.

Not that I was such a wonderful person to begin with, just a middle aged mom trying to keep up with all my responsibilities. But I miss me.

I know I'm new to this mess and that my body is probably still adjusting to my meds. I know that I will probably feel better eventually with occasional bad days. I know there is SOOO MANY other things that could have happened to me that would have been so much WORSE than thyroid issues. (I do normally see my glass as half full.) And I think fluctuating hormones probably have to do with my 'emotional' days. I will be turning 39 next month and I keep trying to tell myself that next year as I approach 40 I will be feeling sooo much better and sooo much younger that I will be happy to be 40and healthy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
(female)

MatthewsMom HB User
Re: I miss me

I'm sending you a big hug.
Take care of yourself,
Lyse

Old 02-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

I can soooo relate. You are not alone at all.

It does get better. There will still be ups and downs, but it does get better as long as you fight to get the right treatment and get your levels optimal for you.

Hang in there

Last edited by dea4; 02-21-2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
(female)

jenn3 HB User

Sorry to hear you are not feeling too good. Are you on meds yet??? If so how long have you been on them??

Jennifer

Old 02-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

I totally relate! I have been very patient for over a year thinking this will all get worked out, and now I'm worse off. I still think one day I'll get back to some sort of normalcy, but will have to redefine what is "ME". I quit driving about 7 years ago, and miss hopping in the car and running to the store. I used to have extended family holidays at my house, and this past year had to opt out. My life feels like it's an invalid.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I feel EXACTLY the same way! I am new to all this thyroid crap too, but I miss being able to take a shower without feeling like I'm going to pass out from expending too much energy. There are soooo many things I miss as well, and I'm trying to be optimistic, but it's really hard when I don't have the energy to even be optimistic and all I do is think about "what's wrong with me?"

I'm so sorry that you and anyone else are feeling this way and wish that none of us had to go through this. I wish you a quick recovery and that they gets your meds right really soon. I wish that for both of us.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Boy you said it all with "I miss me"... It's so true, but hopefully we'll all keep trying to get well.(GROUP HUG) It could be worse right? Think of all your BLESSINGS everyone. My friend at work, her boyfriend's daughter was in a terrible car accident. She had what doctors said was a "Catastrophic brain injury". They all have to decide now what to do. I feel so small with my little thyroid problem. It just makes you put things in perspective. God bless everyone and their families.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Thanks for all your words of encouragement and well wishes!!!

I have only been on meds since November and had a little 'set-back' due to undermedicating myself earlier this month. I've been on 75 mcgs of Synthroid since November (except when I accidently only took 50 mcgs for 7-10 days) and I AM feeling MUCH better than I was. Just seemed like we had a really scaled back holiday and I'm not sure what I will be up for this summer. My endo would not even test my T3 but when I go back to my GP I'm going to see if I can get them to run some additional tests including T3 and see their opinions about adding Armour or Cytomel. I'm also curius about my b12, magnesium, selenium, potassium, cortisol levels as well as iron (my brother has hemochromatosis).

Hoping we all find the road to better health!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
(female)

callmegraceful1 HB User

I have been dealing with thyroid problems for 26 yrs. and I can tell you at times it does get better and then there are the bad times, but you can control alot of how you feel. I have no thyroid and I have osteopenia because I do not produce any calcium, I am only 40, have had to have several surgeries because of the "clumsiness" feel like crap most days, but as someone else said in an earlier reply it could be worse. I have days where I do not want to get out of bed to go to work or get the kids off to school, but then there are days when I feel great - or as good as I can- get as much done as you can on those days and don't sweat the bad ones. Keep your chin up and do not be afraid to tell the dr. exactly how you feel. I have had dr.'s who roll their eyes and tell me it is in my head - it is not and if you do not have to deal with thyroid problems then don't tell me that. Keep your chin up and just have a good out look.

Anne

Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

I sooo feel your pain. I really miss my old self also. And I really am beginning to wonder if I EVER will get my old self back again. U know this thyroid disorder and the symptoms that come along with it really makes me question IF it is only my thyroid ya know?!? Even though all my other tests and lab work always comes back ok for anything else besides the thyroid disorder. Uggg.. Very frustrating disease this is. It could be worse but sometimes I really wonder HOW!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

Amen Sistahs!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

omg, heckofagal, i just read your post and started crying. i soooo relate to you, and feel sad for you, as well as me and everyone else here who is struggling. i understand what you are saying. thyroid disease is totally underrated with the terrible debilitation that it brings and how it affects us so deeply. i hear ya. just gotta keep plugging along, trying all we can to get better, and try as best we can to think happy thoughts to get us through it all.
its tough!
ugh.

Last edited by scoot; 02-22-2007 at 12:53 PM.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:48 AM   #13
(female)

OmegaDiva HB User

Hit the nail right on the head there Heckofagal.
I miss most of those things, although I am still driving as that's not been affected. And you will find people from all over, coming out to say 'me too!'
Whether you're hyper, hypo, hashi's or without a thyroid... I think we are all bound by this in many similar ways.

I'm new to this too, only been a month, but I'm learning this thyroid is nothing short of a thief and if you don't watch out it steals parts of your life!

Well I will reclaim what was mine, I will get back on track and more like the old me, coz nothing in life beats me and certainly no silly thyroid that's trying to act tough!

oooo fightin' talk

Old 02-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

Well guys, add me to the list of "missing me" . Luckily for me, by the time I got sick in 2002 my kids were grown and out of the house so it's just been me and hubby. I really don't know how he has survived the last few years with me. In the beginning before any meds when the depression and horrific moods overtook me and I ceased to be the wonderful fun person to be around. Then when the horrific fatigue, brain fog, muscle and joint pain hit I ceased being the one that took care of everyone and everything with energy to spare.

I was sick for 3 years before finally getting someone to believe me about my thyroid not working and thought THANK GOD, I'll get "me" back now but I think going so long unmedicated has caused alot of damage that is going to take along time to recover from. Because of all the "wonderful" docs that kept treating me like a nut case because nothing was physically wrong with me I now have blown out adrenals and candida to deal with as well as the thyroid issue.

I lost my job and the last 5 years of my life to this nightmare and I totally agree that thyroid illness is underrated. Some people are lucky and get diagnosed easily and adjusted on meds easily and really it's just a bump in the road of their life but then there are people such as myself that the bump in my road turned out to be a brick wall that I can't seem to get around.

Enough of my pity party, and yes I agree, there could be much worse things to happen to us in life and on the fairly good days I can see that clearly but on the bad days, well ..... I can't see past the bad.

I too am sending a (((((Group Hug))))))

Deb

Last edited by Deb123; 02-23-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb123 View Post
Well guys, add me to the list of "missing me" . Luckily for me, by the time I got sick in 2002 my kids were grown and out of the house so it's just been me and hubby. I really don't know how he has survived the last few years with me. In the beginning before any meds when the depression and horrific moods overtook me and I ceased to be the wonderful fun person to be around. Then when the horrific fatigue, brain fog, muscle and joint pain hit I ceased being the one that took care of everyone and everything with energy to spare.

I was sick for 3 years before finally getting someone to believe me about my thyroid not working and thought THANK GOD, I'll get "me" back now but I think going so long unmedicated has caused alot of damage that is going to take along time to recover from. Because of all the "wonderful" docs that kept treating me like a nut case because nothing was physically wrong with me I now have blown out adrenals and candida to deal with as well as the thyroid issue.

I lost my job and the last 5 years of my life to this nightmare and I totally agree that thyroid illness is underrated. Some people are lucky and get diagnosed easily and adjusted on meds easily and really it's just a bump in the road of their life but then there are people such as myself that the bump in my road turned out to be a brick wall that I can't seem to get around.

Enough of my pity party, and yes I agree, there could be much worse things to happen to us in life and on the fairly good days I can see that clearly but on the bad days, well ..... I can't see past the bad.

I too am sending a (((((Group Hug))))))

Deb
i too suffer from thyriod trouble i just found out 2 mos ago i was seeing a gp dr for a yr see i had 1 ovary and tube removed jan 2006 and ened up with a panic attack so he put me on xanax i done fine up till about may then i was in walmart and had a very bad attack they said it was panic i dont know so the dr put me on effexor and i was on them from may till dec and they wasnt working i kept telling him so but he kept saying stay on them they take time well finally i went in and i kept begging him before this to please check my thyriods and hormones he wouldnt so i went in and told him id rather die then feel this way and i meant it i hated the way i was feeling before this i done everything i no longer drive either due to passing out spells has anyone known this to happen with thyriods ?i also have some depression because i want my life back i only been on my meds 25mg for 2 mos so far and iam slowly getting my energy back not alot but more and more each day i was sleeping 24/7 i have agroaphobia depression i take zoloft 50mg for now untill my levels are where they need to be i go see a nerve dr the 28th because i fall down if i leave my house and i get depressed i take xanax to calm me down cause i do have panic attacks and i get very scared i cant handle this much longer im thinking of admitting myself to the hospital till im all better ,or do any of you know about how long it takes to feel 100% better my level was 8.45 then my gyn who i switched to because my gp wouldnt check my thyriods or hormoes oh my psychiatrist found my thyriod levels and my gyn checked again 2 weeks later and it was down to a 6 he also checked my hormones and said im still producing hormones as iam still having a period and my breasts hurt some so its my thyriod thats wrong with me but can any of you tell me about how long it takes to feel good again i cry because i use to work drive and tan everyday now i hardly leave my house unless its to the drs and at the beginning when i got my first attack right after surgery i was scared to be left alone i still fear im going to die and my upper arm hurts but its not my heart so is that a normal symtom of the thyriod? my hair was coming out too but now its not i had 2 inches cut off thinking i needed a trim well its done grown back fast too i have very long hair .vickie45

Closed Thread