It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Blister/Bump under tounge

This is weird and kind of gross but who am I going to ask? My friends on this board.

I woke up the other day and had this big firm like water blister under my tounge. Under my tounge hurt and I could feel this bump about the size of a dime so I looked at it in the mirror !!!! Yikes.....it was clear, round and it seems to be pretty firm... I like freaked out..... it eventually broke and there was no taste or smell or anything gross.

I looked it up and it said salivary gland cyst? or a stone it was called? or it said your gland under your tounge can be plugged. But Why? I have never had anything like this before.

My concern is I have never had anything like this and of coarse I immediately worry if it is connected to my thyroid in any way..........I have not had another one since. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Am I being paranoid........... I will mention this to my Doctor next week but I am hoping someone on here can share something.

Oleander

Old 02-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Blister/Bump under tounge

Hi Oleander,

Maybe a tad paranoid. I've gotten them off and on since I was a kid. Never talked to the doc about them cause like you said they pop and go away. I looked them up too a couple years back and it read pretty benign and not terribly unusual. They do hurt though until they pop.

I don't know why they happen either. Maybe thyroid, maybe not. I've always figured there's a lot worse things to worry about.

Take care,
Helen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

My sister and I have both had those far and few between during our lives and long before our thyroids went hypo. We used to get them on our outter gum areas (usually the lower ones). About the same size as yours. I used to brush mine with salt water and bust them. I've really only had them about 3 or 4 times (sister about the same amount). Never worried about them but was very curious what on earth caused them. They didn't hurt. Just wake up one day and HELLO there one would be.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the replies.......... really strange and it came out of no where.
I will let you know what my Doctor says about it when I tell him at my last visit......... I have never had anything like this before so it seems strange to me.

Thanks again. Oleander

Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

I had tongue sores following RAI but they were small white bumps, mostly along the sides of the tongue. Unless you recently had RAI I'd say yours is unrelated to thyroid.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Archie,

Thanks for the info...........no I have not had anything done.......in the waiting phase with my nodules and goiter..........because I am choosing to wait I get a little jumpy about anything strange up around my thyroid.

Oleander

Old 02-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Oleander,

Several yrs. ago I had a mucocele or ranula under my tongue. It was a plugged salivary gland. However, this occurred not on the underside of my tongue, per se, but rather on the jaw tissue beneath the tongue. Not sure if that's your situation or not.

Eventually I saw an ENT, who palpated & tried to reduce the blockage by gentle squeezing. When that didn't work, he recommended surgery (outpatient). However, while I was waiting for insurance to approve the procedure, one day the dang thing just resolved on its own. I was driving along in my town & suddenly became aware that I had a mouthful of YUCK. Had to stop & spit. (TMI!) Apparently when saliva sits around for a few months it gets pretty ugly.

Anyway, within the next 3 weeks, the ranula recurred several times, but much smaller each time before it would discharge. And it's been almost 7 yrs. now with no sign of it. I'm actually quite glad to have been spared the expensive surgery ($1000s) & the loss of my salivary gland.

I hope your situation works out as happily. Best wishes.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I do not feel so alone now LOL Thanks so much.....I am now seeing they are more common than I thought.

As chicken as I am about FNA and other things it would not be unlike me to stick a sterilized pin in one of these and operate on it myself....

What has happened to me? Nodules, tumors and now Ranulas? Geez what next? I am sprouting all kinds of things???

Love you guys

Oleander

Last edited by Mod-S4; 04-19-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
(female)

Bellsoph HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
This is weird and kind of gross but who am I going to ask? My friends on this board.

I woke up the other day and had this big firm like water blister under my tounge. Under my tounge hurt and I could feel this bump about the size of a dime so I looked at it in the mirror !!!! Yikes.....it was clear, round and it seems to be pretty firm... I like freaked out..... it eventually broke and there was no taste or smell or anything gross.

I looked it up and it said salivary gland cyst? or a stone it was called? or it said your gland under your tounge can be plugged. But Why? I have never had anything like this before.

My concern is I have never had anything like this and of coarse I immediately worry if it is connected to my thyroid in any way..........I have not had another one since. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Am I being paranoid........... I will mention this to my Doctor next week but I am hoping someone on here can share something.

Oleander

Hi Oleander,

I was just wondering what you ever found out at your doctor appointment reguarding your blister. I think I may have the same thing.

Thanks!

Closed Thread