It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

gushanas HB User
Does anyone get hypoglycemic symptoms and headaches??

Hi Guys
Thanks again for everyones advice and help, I am so glad to have found this board, only been on meds 11 days and counting LOL!!!
What I wish to ask is, as one of symptoms I have been suffering sugar crashes, just a few hours of not eating (especially in the mornings) can put me into shakes, sweating, feeling like going to collapse etc.
Does anyone else get this from having underactive thyroid disorder?
I also suffer from chronic daily headaches, does this affect anyone else?Have the meds stopped or helped anyones headaches????????
I suppose I want to know what to put down to being hypo and what not to.
Just helps to not feel alone I guess
Hugs to you all Kathy

Old 02-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
(female)

Judy Anne HB User
Re: Does anyone get hypoglycemic symptoms and headaches??

Which meds did you just start. I had some headaches for a few days when I started cytomel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Yes, my sister and I both are hypothryoid and both have to be very careful of sugar panic attacks/hypoglycemic. Your thyroid is part of your endocrinal system and so is your adrenal gland (it's all hooked together). Some people can experience what are called sugar panic attacks where your sugar drops on you. Be sure to keep easy to grab protein foods handy that will convert to the right type of sugar. Complex carbs and no simple carbs. If my sugar drops - I do what is called a saw tooth drop. I eat it goes up to a nice normal level and then suddenly it drops dramatically, usually within an hour of eating. Stress is a real culprit that can help to trigger attacks. My sister's drops gradually, if it drops.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

BTW I would not consider that your medication is causing your sugar to drop. But, it definetly can be associated with your hypothyroidism. Especially, if you are just diagnosed and experiencing worry and concern about it. The stress can trigger attacks. Be sure to let your doctor know you are experiencing the drops.

I have experienced headaches but I was having them before I was diagnosed. I don't know if it's medication or just the overall thyroid condition. They are not that bad and I've become accustomed to living with them. lol

Old 02-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Gushanas,

I am unable to tolerate thyroid meds, even a plain T4 med like Synthroid/Levoxyl, first thing in the a.m. on an empty stomach. I get a horrible hypoG reaction that makes me miserable for the whole day. I am not diabetic, however my Mom is, and she has a similar reaction to T meds first thing on an empty stomach.

There is something about early morning hypoglycemia, and I believe it is that hypoG always puts stress on the adrenal glands. When you burn through a lot of cortisol early in the day, you can be left crashed-out for the rest of the day. Early morning is a time when we are normally flush with cortisol, however perhaps not all of us are 'flush' in the adrenal dept.

Have you tried taking your T meds mid-morning, several hours after a decent, balanced breakfast, complete with some carbs, a little protein & fat? That has worked much better for me, a tip I learned from my Mom.

Adrenal insufficiency can increase the tendency to crash with T meds. I would report these symptoms to the doc, esp. if a simple fix like taking Tmeds mid-morning doesn't work for you. Hopefully your doc would run an ACTH stim test.

Are you taking a T4 med, or something with T3 like Armour or Cytomel. I am unable to tolerate T3 meds in pure form, even in tiny doses they send me to bed in pretty much collapse. However, I have had better success with slow-release compounded T3, still pretty much in very low doses.

Best wishes.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
(female)

Freespirited1 HB User

Hi,
I've been diagnosed with enlarged thyroid with benign nodule. Meeting with endo. to discuss further testing, but my neurologist sent me for a 4 hr. glucose tolerance test & results came back that my blood sugar dropped very low at the 3 hr. mark (hypoglycemia). From what I've read, hypoglycemia is not a disease, but rather a symptom of something else going on. Hence, the need to find out what, through more testing. Eating three meals a day, with snacks inbetween will help keep blood sugar levels stable. Avoiding refined sugar is important, and eating protien with your complex carbs. will aid in the fluctuations of blood sugar. Good luck & hope you find all the answers to bring you back to the best of health!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
(female)

meisha HB User

Hello,
Some parts of your story sound familiar to me. I was wondering, after reading some of your earlier posts, how did you know that you had an enlarged thyroid? I've been having several symptoms for years that have been explained away as early menopause. In the past year, anxiety and feeling keyed up have been explained as part of some other problem. I had an appointment with an Endo this morning who is now sending me for blood work and glucose testing.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
(female)

Freespirited1 HB User

Meisha, i believe your asking me the above question. I found out my thyroid was enlarged when I went to my ENG because of light headedness I was experiencing. He felt my neck & could tell it was enlarged. He did not feel the nodule, but sent me for a ultra sound to check the thyroid & that revealed the nodule and the enlarged thyroid. A fine needle aspiration proved the nodule benign. The ENT receptionist called me to give me the news & says "follow up as necessary". That's it!!!! I went to my pc Dr. who had results of routine blood work & my TSH was normal. When I asked for more testing of the thyroid, she said "there is no need if the TSH is within normal limits". Thanks to this board I know better. I made an appointment with an endo and will see her next Monday. The first appointment I made with a different endo. was not until the middle of June. I don't want to wait that long. I'm hoping to get to the bottom of all this. I so want to feel better & hope you find the answers you need.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:40 AM   #9
(female)

gushanas HB User

Hi there all
Thanks for posts they are very helpful. I have been having the sugar drop attacks before I started on the thyroxine, so do not think that is related, however I think maybe they are related to Hypothyroid, especially after what you all say.In Uk we do not get all the tests you do, we just have basic tests and are told to get on with it, as the NHS pays the bill. You can ask for an endo though and I think I will do that, that way I think I will get more tests done.
The headaches continue daily, they really get me down, one day I may be free of them I hope.
Love and hugs
Kathy

Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Unhappy Re: Does anyone get hypoglycemic symptoms and headaches??

i too have the headaches daily and i take painpills otc ones and they only help for maybe 3 hrs i feel it in the top of my head and the back my shoulders hurt my arms hurt and yes i just found out i have thyriod my tsh level was 8.45 on 1/11/07 2 weeks later with new dr was 6.25 then i got retestested today 2/28/07 and my tsh is the same my t3 last time was 8.1 its now .89 not sure what that means i get my copy of them tomorrow or friday but when i called the lab thats what he told me they didnt have the t4 done yet i get very depressed also and cry i never leave my house unless its to go to dr's and my sugar level was 83 not sure if thats normal or not also my colesteral was 231 not sure if thats normal either i just know i dont feel good and i been like this for a yr because my old gp dr wouldnt check my thyriods or hormones my psychiatrist did ,my gyn checked my hormones and said they were fine i still have a period no nightsweats or hotflases im 44 i did have 1 ovary and tube removed jan 2006 i have everything else i go to nerology march 7th .oh and i take the thyroxine 25 mg so far for 6 weeks i take it at 6am .i see my gyn untill i find a internal medicine dr to treat me for my thyriods is 89 better then it was from 8.1 or is it dropping ? and shouldnt my tsh be better after 6 weeks? i know nothing about this thyriod stuff .and i also get dizzy and i faint too and i dont know why.

Last edited by vickie45; 02-28-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #11
(female)

Calore HB User
Thumbs up Re: Does anyone get hypoglycemic symptoms and headaches??

HI
I started out with feeling hypoglycaemic and with headaches but once I started the levo ( for hypothyroidism [Hashi]) these problems largely subsided, although it took a few weeks to really feel improved significantly. Maybe you just have to hang in there a bit and see how it goes.
I have learned from folks here that there is some trial and error re: meds.
Good luck
Carol

Old 03-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
(female)

OmegaDiva HB User

[QUOTE=gushanas;2826482]In Uk we do not get all the tests you do, we just have basic tests and are told to get on with it, as the NHS pays the bill. You can ask for an endo though and I think I will do that[QUOTE]

I'm in the UK and have not had that experience. My gp was right on the ball, recognised the symptoms I presented her with and ordered some labs to be done. She ordered tests for thyroid, celiacs, cholesterol and a full blood count. My results we're back within 24hrs, and at my next appt she told me my thyroid is hyperactive, she printed off a list of hospitals with contact numbers for their endo clinics.

It comes under the choose and book scheme, where I choose the hospital I want to be seen at and book the appt myself.
That was a month ago and my appt with the endo is this month. I imagine they will investigate further, but in the meantime I'm back at the gp's on monday for more blood tests so she can check how my levels are doing since starting the meds.

I guess like everywhere you get good gp's and bad one's, and I rate mine, I won't see anybody else.

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster since I started the meds, I'm on propranolol betas and carbimozol for the thyroid. Been feeling wierd, faint, room shifting, brain fog, cold feet and all the other wonderful side effects they bring, but I am finding that if I've eaten any chocolate in the last few weeks, I pay for it big time. I get zero energy the next day, can't grab a single thought, nor grasp any info. I'm in a coma like state for a whole day right after, everything that's around me feels vague, like I am detatched from my surroundings, it takes me up to 3 days to feel like I'm back with the rest of the human race again, so when I go in on monday I'll have her check my sugar levels aswell coz choccy aint never done this to me before lol

Danni...

Old 03-03-2007, 06:14 AM   #13
(female)

gushanas HB User

Yes I agree it is going to take time, my headaches have still been daily, even after starting on 50mg Levothyroxine, I am going again Mid April , maybe then the headaches will go away. That is one of the worst things for me, along with the extreme fatigue!!
I will try to hang in there, I think the meds will go up in April too as I am only on a starter dose the GP told me.
Very good posts though and glad the sugar crashes are normal for hypothyroid, as I was not sure they were connected.They have improved a lot since starting the meds though, I can go longer without eating now, although I try not to do this.
Love to all
Kathy

Old 03-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

elmhar hi pursie here though you prob remember me better as kat purs lol,
i guess you know my story i went hyper came off an d now back on it finding the right dose this caught my eye to as maybe i would do better after breakie aswell???? is this a good idea for someone so sensitive to the meds as i know you are too and how are you by the way lots of love form pursiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 03-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #15
(female)

gushanas HB User

Yes you are right.I am lucky I have a lovely GP, I think it was someone else in the UK saying they did not.
No I am only borderline but feel awful so my GP let me go on meds to see if it will help my symptoms. I guess that was lucky.
Had 3 weeks , any idea how long to feel better?
Kathy

Closed Thread