It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

boata HB User
Has anyone switched from Armour to Synthroid? Insomnia...

My doctor is wanting me to switch from Armour to Synthroid. I have been doing pretty well on 3 grains of Armour, except my FT4 has never come out of the basement. I have lingering spells of severe insomnia which he believes is because I am overdosed on Armour, bringing my available T3 into a level where I feel well but causing the inability to sleep without increasingly large doses of sleep aids. I have been a huge advocate of Armour, as it has worked very well for me, along with other healthy choices. Has any one else had problems with insomnia on Armour - or switched to Synthroid and would like to share success stories? I am the only patient my doctor has on Armour (at my insistence) and have been managing my own dosage/symptoms. He insists Synthroid would work well for me, as I responded so well to thryoid meds. The insomnia worries me though - a horse would go down on the dosages that I need right now to get to sleep and stay asleep! Oh, and by the way, adding Synthroid into the Armour at any dosages puts me into hyper pretty quickly, lending credence to his opinion that I'm on too much T3?
Thoughts?
Anna

Old 02-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
(female)

cm5476 HB User
Re: Has anyone switched from Armour to Synthroid? Insomnia...

Hi - I can't say anything about Armour as I've never used it. I've been on synthroid for 6 years with no sleep problems whatsoever and thyroid has been quite stable (however, I am seeing an endo now as I haven't felt quite right since being pregnant a year ago)...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Boata, I was not successful with Armour for a variety of reasons. (long story, far to long for a short post). However I have been pretty successful with a combination of synthroid and cytomel. I am currently fine tuning my dosages as I have some lingering symptoms. I did not sleep well on synthroid alone, but do sleep very well cytomel combination. Since synthroid is T4 only and Cytomel is T3 only, you can get a more "custom" dosage than with a combination drug like Armour. If you do go the synthroid route, you for sure need to ask the doctor about adding a small amount of T3 since your body is so used to it in the Armour. IMO just switching to a T4 only hormone will not serve you as well as taking some of both. The T4/T3 ratio in Armour I think is 100/25. To me, and it's just my opinion, you need a higher ratio of T4 to T3. I am currently on 100 synthroid (T4) and 10 cytomel (T3) and sleep just fine. Of course since you have been taking 3 grains of Armour your dosage of synthroid/cytomel will be higher than mine; but with a little trial and error you probably can find a dosage ratio that suits your T4/T3 needs and gives you a good night's sleep.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Red Maple; 02-26-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

boata HB User

Thanks Red Maple! What you said in your reply makes a lot of sense to me. I'm just a little nervous about changing and losing ground... I really appreciate your support on these boards - and your experience.

Closed Thread