It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Internist or Endocrinologist?

I haven't had much luck with Endocrinologists so far, but I found a good Internist. He is an Internist with a specialty in cardiology but seemed to know quite a bit about Hashimotos and Graves disease (supposedly I have both), treatment while pregnant, etc. Should I switch to him for my thyroid problems or continue with the Endocrinologist I'm not thrilled about? Do I really need an Endocrinologist, or will a good Internist do?

Old 02-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Internist or Endocrinologist?

The best doctor I ever had for my thyroid was an internist. He moved. Why not ask yours if he's willing to treat you. Some internists are very knowledgable but would rather have you in the care of an endocrinologist. If that's the case, he might be able to recommend another one.

Good luck,
Helen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

IMO, the best doctor a patient can have is one who really "listens" to the patient and whom you have a positive opportunity to communicate your needs--regardless of speciality. Many internists do a very good job of treating thyroid patients. Many endo. don't listen to a word you say, and just treat you by the lab numbers very coldly and clinically. If you have a good relationship with your internist, it won't hurt to ask his opinion of your thyroid problems. If he is not comfortable treating you himself, he may be able to recommend someone other than your current endo.

Many people here have found open-minded doctors on the Armour web site. Even if you are not taking Armour, or don't feel it would be right for you, many doctors who are listed on thier site are very experienced with thyroid treatment and often more open-minded to alternative treatments than just a T4 only medication. It sounds like you are very displeased with the treatment you are receiving from your endo. and continuing with him seems pointless.

Best of luck to you. It's can be really a challenge to find someone who you relate well with, and whom you trust your treatment to.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

After a Family Doctor, a cardiologist, 2 Endocrinologist, then an ENT I ended up with an older Vascular surgeon who is working with my Family Doctor on my thyroid problems.......He listened to me , seemed to know the most about thyroid medications and he does his own surgeries..... I am sticking with him.

You will find the right Doctor.......... I hear DO's are good too.......

Oleander

Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for the opinions. This whole thyroid thing is very new to me. I currently have one of those endo's who doesn't listen and isn't even willing to treat based on labs/symptoms, unless they're so far out of the normal range that the patient is almost on their death bed (at least if they're pregnant anyway that seems to be the case). I'll see how today's appointment goes (I finally get to talk to the actual doctor, not her dumb assistant, after being diagnosed with Hashimotos AND Graves disease and ask her all of my bazillion questions that the assistant couldn't answer). If she listens to me after the Hashimotos and Graves diagnoses and all of the lab reports, maybe I'll stick it out with her. If not, I'll ask the Internist if he'd be willing to take over my thyroid care. Maybe I will anyway because he seemed more thorough and knowledgable (he didn't even have my labs and said that I definitely need hyperthyroid treated during pregnancy if there is a low TSH, regardless of whether or not my T4 and T3 are outside of the normal levels - THANK YOU!) and willing to listen, let alone I like the fact that he doesn't just specialize in endocrinology and can decipher if my symptoms are thyroid related or something else (my thyroid labs are normal now and those symptoms have subsided for the most part, but my OB sent me to him because she thinks that these other symptoms that aren't going away are from this pregnancy putting a strain on my heart - YIKES!). I don't like the idea of having all of these doctors and would prefer one good one.

Closed Thread