It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Somewhat prominent thyroid??

Hi, I am wondering if you all can help me understand this. I have been complaining of a lump in the throat feeling, tightness in my throat, I get night sweats and depressed. I had my thyroid blood checked and it came back normal. An Ultrasound of my thyroid came back as somewhat prodominent thyroid but otherwise normal. It showed the measurements but I dont know what they mean.
Can anyone help me undderstand what a prominent thyroid means. I am hoping that this may be the reason for my constant throat lump.

THank You

Old 03-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
(male)

je46324 HB User
Re: Somewhat prominent thyroid??

it means your thyroid is larger then normal, most likely you have a very small almost unoticable goiter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hi Alex12;

I use to live in NJ - when I was a youngin' - My dad was stationed at McGuire AFB - we lived in New Egypt. How close are you to that? I've lived all over between my adult life and my dad in military when I was a dependent.

I just got the results of my ultra-sound last week also. I have a prominent (ahem) thyroid too. I'm not worried about it though. I've been on meds since June of last year. Doc just upped me about 4 weeks ago to .88mcgs synthroid. She also sent me for an ultra-sound just so she had a clearer picture in her mind of what she was actually treating when she examines me. I liked that precaution on her part.

What je46324 posted is correct.

When were you diagnosed and what meds etc. are you on. It takes 6 to 8 weeks depending on the person to adjust when first on the medication.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 03-05-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the posts guys... I think it read 4.8cmx 1.5 cm right lobe, 5.2cmx1.2cm left lobe and isthmus 33mm.

Would this explain the lump in throat feeling?

I am only on Aciphex for acid and Klonopin for anxiety, nothing for thyroid.

Barbara: I live about 45 minutes East of New Egypt... I live on the coast. I used to work at Freehold Mall, I'm sure you were there! What else is thee to do in NJ but go to the mall? haha

Old 03-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just looking at your stats I would say you probably need to be on medication for thyroid. Have you had a blood work up for that?

Here are my results that you can compare against:

right lobe: 2.6 x 1.5 x 1.4
left lobe: 3.3 x 1.6 x 1.4
isthmus: 3.5 mm

I don't know a lot about this stuff - I just hang out here at the board and learn . I feel pretty darn good all things considered compared to when I was first diagnosed. I've not had the lump in the throat but my mom did when first diagnosed. She said they told her it was from anxiety caused by her thyroid. However, she does not have any indication of a goiter and she is now 83. She was diagnosed when she was in her mid 50's. What they did find when they first diagnosed her was a nodule which you don't seem to have. This stuff is so confusing

Maybe Midwest1 will be along shortly and she can decipher much better then me. If not you might start a thread to her attention - she's pretty savy when it comes to reading these results.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry Alex12 - in regard to the lump in throat question I don't know. I've not experienced it with my current measurements.

Why don't you try going to the search feature at the top of this forum page and do a search on the boards for the words "lump throat" and see what pulls up. I'm sure others have had threads about the symptom.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
(female)

sunrise1982 HB User

hi i also suffer with problems with my thyroid gland, i have had problems with it for years, it feels like ive constantly got something stuck in my throat its horrible, bin feeling really depressed n low 2, i no certain things happen if u got an under active or over active thyroid, but they said my was larger but nothing wrong, ive had the scan, n now just waiting for the biopscy. i hope u feel better soon, as do i im here if u wanna chat xx

Old 03-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Alex, Did they do any thyroid blood tests on you like TSH, T3 and T4? Or just the ultrasound? Oleander

Old 03-06-2007, 04:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for all the reply's, my PCP did preliminary blood work on my thyroid that came back normal. I don't know if I should see another doctor in regards to this or not?
Do those U/S measurments seem big? I wish I had my thyroid levels but I don't. Are those blood tests accurate?
Ugh! I am hoping to finally have a reason for all of my symptoms.
It's twisted but I just want them to say Yes, it's your thyroid lets fix it, so then I will start to feel better.

Thanks all
Alex

Closed Thread