It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
Jaynie2

Intolerance to Meds

Hi all,

New to this Board but not new to hypo. To cut a very long story short, diagnosed Hashis in July 2005, symptoms going back to 2003. Have tried T4, Armour and T3 but have a lot of trouble tolerating even a small amount of meds without my temps rising and then eventually after several weeks I start to go hot and clammy, sweating, shaking and feeling sick. TSH when diagnosed was 53. I was started on Hydrocortisone 20mg (for adrenal insufficiency) which was increased to 40mg but has not helped. The issue seems to be getting the thyroxine out of my blood and into my cells, apparently it's the build up in my blood which is causing the above 'toxic' symptoms. I am now on another steroid to treat adrenals 6mg of methylprednisolone and I have started again on 25mg thyroxine after being off all meds for 4 weeks to run the previously used Armour out of my system. I feel Ok so far but temps are rising and I think it won't be long before I start showing symptoms again. I haven't worked since May last year because of the terrible fatigue. Anyone else know what could possibly be preventing the thyroid getting into my cells?
Grateful for any comments or advice.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: Intolerance to Meds

Hi Jaynie and welcome to the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynie2 View Post
Have tried T4, Armour and T3 but have a lot of trouble tolerating even a small amount of meds without my temps rising and then eventually after several weeks I start to go hot and clammy, sweating, shaking and feeling sick.
I have been on Levothroid (T4) since May 2006. TSH 6.4, given 50mcgs. Six weeks of mostly misery. Your symptoms and much more. Lab - TSH 3.7, given 75mcgs. Six weeks of mostly misery with your symptoms and much more. Lab - TSH 2.7, given 88mcgs. Eight weeks of mostly misery with various symptoms, but less intensity than before. Lab - TSH 1.9, given 100 mcgs. Told to wait three months for the next lab this time. Felt reasonably well, compared to when diagnosed, after about a month of regression in symptoms, thought this might be as good as it gets. Lab - TSH 1.7, given 125mcgs and told to adjust for another three months. A few days feeling the same, a few days of symptoms returning and then feeling much better. That was January and still feeling pretty good.

I can't say you aren't having med tolerance issues, but based on my own experience, it sounds to me like you just need to tough it out after each dose increase until you finally reach the right one. Reading the pharmacy handout sheets, I don't see anything alarming about what you describe and know I toughed my way through that and much more for ten months to get to a rather feel good place. I would hope the same for you.

Quote:
Anyone else know what could possibly be preventing the thyroid getting into my cells?
Grateful for any comments or advice.
I definitely don't know, but I guess it is you preventing the needed T4 hormone from getting into your cells. It can't get there if you don't take the medicine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
(male)

je46324 HB User

have you had anything besides TSH done? A FT4 and FT3, steriods are known to cause errorent TSH metabilization or secretions so TSH alone may not be the best indicator of thyroid problem.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Jaynie2

The problem is I've been at these dose changes for 20 months now. I have been all the way up to 200mg thyroxine and with every dose change I feel worse, then I went onto 20 and then 40mg hydrocortisone and up to 3 grains of Armour and again with each dose increase I got worse. I spent then 4 weeks off all meds to run them out of my system. Started on 6mg methyl pred and 25mg of thyroxine again 4 weeks ago. Please do not give me superficial answers about increases and 'toughing it out' believe me I have done all that. I need to know witH a TSH of 53 why increases give me increasingly worse symptoms - with every small dose increase the worse I get.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

My apologies if you took offense at my suggestion. That was based on what I read in your post and my experience. It was not intended to offend and I had no idea it was "superficial."

Now that you have provided more information, I hope you'll get a more relevant response. I also hope you find health and well being.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
Jaynie2

I am so rude to write such a terse reply to someone as kind as you who is only trying to help me. I'm sorry. I'm really overwhelmed by this illness, tired of trying and frustrated by my own inability to find the answers.
Good health to you. J

Old 03-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
(male)

je46324 HB User

Quote:
I am so rude to write such a terse reply to someone as kind as you who is only trying to help me. I'm sorry. I'm really overwhelmed by this illness, tired of trying and frustrated by my own inability to find the answers.
Good health to you. J
well we know this, so no problem...but i am still wondering if you have had anything other then TSH tets done, and FT4 or FT3, you are on steriods in one form or another and they are known to interfer with how TSH works, so it possible only useing the TSH is not helping.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:39 AM   #8
Jaynie2

Hi,

My last TSH was 5.9 and my FT4 was 10 Range 12 to 22. This was when I had been off all meds for 4 weeks. The problem is I can't seem to tolerate even a small dose of anything. Within 4 weeks of taking it, whether it be 25mg thyroxine, half grain Armour or 5mg T3, my temps rise first then I start to sweat and feel shaky and then eventually I get the mother of all headaches. So I end up with 'hyper' symptoms while still being hypo with my Frees barely in normal range.

Thanks for your help.

J

Old 03-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Apology accepted, Jaynie. I know you don't feel well and, looking back, think I might have chosen my wording better.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:01 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

Hi Jaynie,

Really sorry you are having it tough, I have been in your exact shoes as many of us have. I have not been able to work in three years due to ignorance of doctors and misdiagnosis and undertreatment.

I really think your issue is with adrenals still. As you have probably already learned if you don't have it right there you will never have it right with the thyroid. Did they start you out at 20mg of HC instead of gradually going up? If so, that was probably alot of your problem, it was causing your adrenals more damage. It should be a slow process starting out with 2.5mg and increasing slowly over a period of about two weeks to get to 20mg. When you went off meds for four weeks it would probably been better had you only went on adrenal support for awhile before starting thyroid meds to let the adrenals build up some.

There is a great forum (which I wish I could mention to you) that I am learning alot from about my adrenal/thyroid problems. If you haven't ran onto it try to find it I think it will help you alot, I know it has me. It's made me realize I've been undertreated all this time with adrenals and thyroid is why I am getting absolutely nowhere.

When there is adrenal problems as well as thyroid involved it makes this getting well and healthy process so much more difficult. You were like me, I had symptoms for a couple of years before getting on meds so my adrenals were completely shot by then.

Deb

Last edited by Deb123; 03-08-2007 at 07:05 AM.

Closed Thread