It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
Endo"s And Cytomel

I am so tired of these doctors ignoring or refusing to try Cytomel. I asked my doc about it an got not answer. The problem in my area is if you want to see a good Endo, you have to wait at leasts 2 to 3 months to get in. I read where where Cytomel is 4 times stronger than Synthroid. So I was on 100mcg of Synthroid and still felt like crap. 125mcg was a little to strong for me. Anyway I decide to give Cytomel a try on my own. I cut the dose of Synthroid in half 50mcg and took 5 mcg of Cytomel. I have to tell you, what a difference. A lot of my aches and pains have gone away. I have energy, can think clearly and actually feel like doing things. Why do these doctors ignore the fact that most people feel better on Cytomel. The New England Journel of medicine did a study where they added 5 to 1 and 10 to 1 Sythroid to Cytomel and most patients claimed they felt better. Then another study claims to dispute that study. All I know is we all know how we feel. I can't stand to hear from a doc again to "Allow The Sythroid To Work" I've been on it 10 years and I still didn't feel good. How long do you want to wait for it to work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Endo"s And Cytomel

Please, please, be very watchful of the cytomel. It can give you a heart attack or stroke if you aren't monitored.

My endo. quoted me the studies, and gave me cytomel. I seemed to need it in the beginning, as I had been very hypo for thyroid cancer treatment, but then it started making me feel jittery after a couple of months, and I stopped it. Now I seem to do well with just synthroid, and as you said every body's body needs different things.

I hope you get into that endo. to make sure you are dosing well.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Echo to Reese's post. Your doctor should know what you are doing when you begin a new medication or prescription. I made an appointment for the 2-3 month typical wait when I first started with my current endo. I asked to be put on the "wait list' for cancellations, and was able to see the doctor within 3 weeks. They called me on short notice and I had to rearrange my schedule a bit, but it was better than waiting so long. You may try to see if the endo you want to see has a similar policy. Even if it does take the full 2-3 months to get in to see the endo of your choice, as you said, you've already waited 10 years--what's a few months more at this point so you can get the care you want.

Cytomel and Synthroid are two different and separate medications, so which one is stronger I couldn't say. Cytomel is the thyroid hormone "T3" and Synthroid is the hormone "T4". Many people need just T4 meds. such as synthroid and thier body naturally converts enough of the T4 to T3. Others need additional T3 as they do not naturally convert T4 to T3 very well. The only way to know if your need additional T3 is through blood tests for "Free T3" or an "FT3" test. You really should know what your current level of FT3 is in your blood before you add any more.

If your doctor does only a TSH test (as many do who favor synthroid) you are not getting an accurate reading of the proper thryoid hormones in your blood work. You need to insist on an "FT4" and especially an "FT3" test. Also be sure to ask for the reference ranges that the lab uses as the "normal range". If your results for the frees are low in the ranges, you dosage of either and/or both medications could need to be altered. If you change doctors to an endo, be sure to request they test your "frees" as well as the TSH, or you will probably end up with someone else who will only prescribe synthroid or a similar T4 medication.

I am on 10 mcg cytomel with 100 mcg synthroid. I really think it helps me, but it is will doctor's supervision. I tried Armour and found the ratio of T4/T3 to be too much for me and got really sick. I am therefore VERY careful with T3 medications, but for the most part have been very pleased with my results on cytomel. You need a doctor to monitor you though to be sure the dosage of both T4 and T3 suits the needs of your individual body.

There is a posted here by the sign in of Midwest, she is an absolute pro at understanding T3 and lab results. You may want to post to her directly with your questions, I promise she will have great advise. She's taught me a lot
of important information to consider as I manage my health care along with my doctor. Though Midwest and I have thyroid different needs, her opinion is always important to me for consideration. The more information you have the better decisions you can make. Good Luck, hope to see you around with great news about your health!

Last edited by Red Maple; 03-08-2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: clumsy finger syndrome

Old 03-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Maple View Post
The only way to know if your need additional T3 is through blood tests for "Free T3" or an "FT3" test. ...

If your doctor does only a TSH test (as many do who favor synthroid) you are not getting an accurate reading of the proper thryoid hormones in your blood work. You need to insist on an "FT4" and especially an "FT3" test. ...
*cough, cough*

Remember me, Deb? So far, my doctor (who doesn't favor synthroid) has ordered only TSH. I am doing amazingly well, especially considering how long I was likely hypothyroid before diagnosis.

I must disagree, of course. You can know you don't need additional T3 if you take T4 and your hypo symptoms disappear.

I realize rstarre now needs the frees done since he added the T3. Just wanted to point out once again people whose doctors only order TSH for them, but treat them and get them feeling well with T4 only and without other tests, don't need to feel abused.

I do, however, agree about not prescribing for oneself. I'm also wondering where the Cytomel came from if it wasn't prescribed by rstarre's doctor.

Last edited by ErinBeth; 03-08-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarre View Post
... So I was on 100mcg of Synthroid and still felt like crap. 125mcg was a little to strong for me. ...

I can't help wondering why a dose of 112 mcgs wasn't tried.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
(female)

polly_d HB User

Hi. I am new to this board and seeking more information on thyroid function. I have been hyper twice and am now "Normal", but I am having symptoms and and questioning. My levels were

TSH 1.3 range .3 to 3
free T4 1.1 range .9 to 1.8

I have antibodies for graves disease? I run low grades and am fatigued. Have trouble with weight gain.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Hi Polly,

Welcome to the Thyroid Disorder message board!

Your situation is a bit different from rstarre's, so may I suggest you start a new topic with a catchy title descriptive of your questions?

There is a New Thread button at the top left of the list of topics. Click on that and you'll get a message box which will start a new thread when you are ready.

I'm afraid your questions will get lost in here.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry ErinBeth. I do know how much your health has improved by using T4 only medications. I didn't mean to imply that TSH is not a reliable test for those who DO see improvement in symptoms by dosing meds. according to TSH.

I assumed that "rstarre" did not improve by dosing her thyroid meds. from TSH tests only; she posted that she still felt like crap, also she has not felt well for 10 years on synthroid alone. I meant, that in her case, (especially after so much time without success on synthroid) it may be necessary to move beyond the TSH test by using the FT tests for further and/or better medication choices. Perhaps her doctor has done these tests, including the frees --Heaven knows I've been wrong plenty of times and should never assume anything!

However, IMO, rstarre should to be under a medical professional's care, with the appropriate blood work to further support the need for cytomel, rather than just taking it on her own. It seems that restarre's symptoms have really improved with the addition of T3; she might be on the right track to feeling better with a bit of cytomel. Maybe waiting those 2-3 months to see an endo. in her area would be a good idea to get appropriate dosage of T4/T3 for her individual case.

I apologize, my intentions were not to discount the value of TSH, and use of T4 only medications in those numerous cases that it does work very well for. People who DO get well, like you, certainly have no cause to feel abused. I am sorry if my assumptions made you feel that way.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Oh my, Deb, no apology necessary. I was just clarifying a bit and, maybe, teasing you around a little. Hence the smilies.

And, again, I do realize rstarre's situation is different than mine.

Hugs,
ErinBeth

Old 03-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks ErinBeth! You're the Best!

Deb

Old 03-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think 5 mcg of Cytomel is going to hurt me since many bodybuilders have used up to 75 mcg a day. Even though it is only for six weeks at a time. You get to the point where you are fed up with feeling bad. These doctors look at you like your nuts when you tell them you feel lousy and your blood tests come back normal, except for my thyroid tests. I will bring this up to the doctor on the next visit. My point is doctors do write scripts for Armour and the synthetic version of the drug. So why do some doctors seem not to believe in it if there are reports like that of the New England Journal of medicine about the adding Cytomel to Synthroid made patients feel better. Do they think Synthroid is the only drug available? It makes me mad.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #12
(female)

Calore HB User

Rstarre
I was reading on a website where they felt there was a monopoly out there and docs were encouraged just to stick with synthyroid. I concur with you. It is very frustrating when one feels like CRA# and the labs look ok. I wish I could get my hands on some cytomel
I think it would help me too. Good luck and hope you feel better SOON
Carol

Old 03-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
I don't think 5 mcg of Cytomel is going to hurt me since many bodybuilders have used up to 75 mcg a day.
Forgive me for being blunt, but that reasoning is absurd.
First -- Cytomel is very likely hurting those bodybuilders - in the form of bone loss and heart damage - precisely because they don't need it.
Second, you may not need it either ... not even a mere 5 mcgs. Five mcgs probably isn't going to help at all if you do need it, and it can kill or disable you if you don't need it. You absolutely cannot know if you need it without a free T3 test. If a person doesn't have a low blood level, he doesn't need it, not at any dosage - period.

Taking T3 - or any thyroid drug, for that matter - without medical guidance and without knowing if it's needed, is the same as playing Russian roulette. You're very naive if you think it isn't.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calore View Post
Rstarre
I was reading on a website where they felt there was a monopoly out there and docs were encouraged just to stick with synthyroid. I concur with you. It is very frustrating when one feels like CRA# and the labs look ok. I wish I could get my hands on some cytomel
I think it would help me too. Good luck and hope you feel better SOON
Carol

Calore, I responded to another of your posts in somebody else's topic just now. I believe it is way too soon for you to consider a T3 med like Cytomel. Your symptoms, your TSH and your FT3 all indicate you are undermedicated with your T4 hormone, the one you are taking. Look here:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=2849538#post2849538

There are people who actually do need T3 as well as T4, but just because they do doesn't mean everyone does. IMO, we should all try to get the right amount of T4 before any trial of additional T3. There are even some exceptions there, but rare, IMO.

Why T4 only if you can? Because, if your body can do the conversion from T4 to T3, it would do that at the rate your body actually needs it. You guessing when to add it would be less accurate if your organs/glands can cooperate to do it naturally. Cytomel is also more expensive than the T4 meds. Why pay a higher price, have to juggle doses throughout the day to try to reproduce what your body can do better and more naturally, if you don't have to do that?

Please see if your doctor will increase your dose of T4 med gradually until you get near that TSH of 1 mark where most people feel good. Reason with him/her that a TSH of around 1 is still within lab range and you want to try it with his/her supervision to see if it will eliminate your symptoms.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
(female)

Calore HB User

Erinbeth
Thanks for the reply. Problem here is the meds only come in 50 mcq or 100 mcq. To get a 75mcq dose I am splitting tabs on my own which dont always come out ok. I understand the risks and would LOVE to be ok on the current meds. Is it possible though? 100mcq a day had me bouncing off the walls. I just was feeling too hyper ( tried it for a month). What should I do?

Closed Thread