It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: logansport ,indiana usa
Posts: 881
vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Question if you have under active thyriod do you have to take xanax too or can you ween off th

hi i recently found out i have under active thyriod but my gp a yr ago would not check my thyriods so i suffered a whole yr with it so he sent me to a psychiatrist who checked my thyriods and found my levels were 8.45 i now take thyriod meds for that its came down to 6.28 what i want to know is once my thyriods level out to where they need to be would i still need xanax i take 1 mg 3 times a day thats what my dr told me to do at the time i had no idea what xanax was he also put me on anti depressents and i want off both the anti depressents and the xanax does anyone who has thyriod trouble have to take xanax or do you feel fine once your thyriods are leveled out.?
vickie45

 
Old 03-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St.Lous
Posts: 500
Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
Re: if you have under active thyriod do you have to take xanax too or can you ween of

I've only been dealing with thyroid issues for 4 months myself and have acquired anxiety issues as well. I do have occassional periods of extrememe anxiety myself and I am still trying to get my meds optimized. Although my GP gave me some samples of Lexapro I have resisted taking them. I do understand anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds can be extremely helpful, I was just more concerned about the side effects. One of my biggest issues being hypothyroid had been dizziness and I try to elimate as many meds as possible that may contribute to this. (It's hard to battle an illness when you can't tell if the symptoms are a side effect of the illness or one of your meds.) I have to admit that I have been very close, on more than one occasion, to starting the Lexapro or asking for another med like Ativan that I could just take on an as-needed basis.

I would think once you've leveled out you may be able to get off the meds. You need to wean off them though as quitting cold turkey can cause withdrawal symptoms. Do you feel like your doing better? Perhaps you should take to your doc about taking less of the Xanax per day and getting down to an as needed basis.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Conroe,TX, USA
Posts: 2,930
dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: if you have under active thyriod do you have to take xanax too or can you ween of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckofagal View Post
I would think once you've leveled out you may be able to get off the meds. You need to wean off them though as quitting cold turkey can cause withdrawal symptoms. Do you feel like your doing better? Perhaps you should take to your doc about taking less of the Xanax per day and getting down to an as needed basis.

I agree. If the problem is caused by the thyroid issue, which it most likely is, then once you get your thyroid levels optimal then you should have no need for the other meds anymore. But wean off them as Heckofagal suggested.

 
Old 03-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PALMDALE, CA
Posts: 29
DAVZAN HB User
Re: if you have under active thyriod do you have to take xanax too or can you ween of

Heckofagel,
I had no idea dizziness was related to being hypo. I have had periods of being dizzy but thought maybe it was related to blood pressure, even though that seems to be within normal ranges. Do you know if there could be other underlying causes of the dizziness? I'm begining to feel like a bloomin hypochondriac (sp??), with all these symptoms cropping up without reason .........ugh!

 
Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Conroe,TX, USA
Posts: 2,930
dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: if you have under active thyriod do you have to take xanax too or can you ween of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVZAN View Post
Heckofagel,
I had no idea dizziness was related to being hypo. I have had periods of being dizzy but thought maybe it was related to blood pressure, even though that seems to be within normal ranges. Do you know if there could be other underlying causes of the dizziness? I'm begining to feel like a bloomin hypochondriac (sp??), with all these symptoms cropping up without reason .........ugh!
Dizziness can also be caused by heart palpitations (you would know if you had those) also low blood sugar can cause a dizzy or off feeling and inner ear infections can cause dizziness. The inner ear infection often causes vertigo (not fun).

 
Old 03-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: logansport ,indiana usa
Posts: 881
vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Smile Re: if you have under active thyriod do you have to take xanax too or can you ween of

hi and yes i feel GREAT and this is week 7 im on the 50 now and all my energy is back i have a appointment with my internal medicine dr on the 23rd he's going to ween me off the anti depressents and xanax if i can deal without them and yes dizziness came with my thyriod levels being low it says high but mine was underactive it was 8.45 it was 6.28 last week this is week 7 and iam starting to feel like me again i suffered for a yr with this because my old gp dr wouldnt test my thyriods and just stuck me on anti depressents the anti depressents was making me feel worse plus made me feel like killing myself several times the xanax does help but i wont know if i need them just yet but as the way iam feeling right now i think im ready to come off them my new dr is going to help ween me off the anti depressents and the xanax or maybe give me less xanax i do take one at night to help me sleep but who knows i may not need them anymore im hoping i wont need them .another thing i was being medicated too much i have the thyriod meds i take for life of course then i was taking a anti depressents and xanax 3 times a day 1 mg and it caused me very bad depression and also when my thyriods were really low i was having the dizziness and i even started fainting from sept till feb its been like 2 weeks since i last fainted plus i was also terrifed anytime i had to have anything done like i had a catscan done and i was crying my eyes out because of it i use to get those panic attacks too now i just have the aniety but its getting alot better now that my levels are starting to get regulated to where they should be ,the dr's thought i was crazy and yes i was because they were over medicating me on too much medication im currently on celexa 20 mg but i couldnt handle the side effects so i cut it in half to help and then when i go to my new dr he will ween me off for good and then once im clean i will never ever take another anti depressent if that dr would have checked my thyriods i wouldnt have suffered so long i only been on my meds for 7 weeks now and i feel WONDERFULL im very happy too cause i was so depressed and i was sleeping 24/7 and was having the fainting spells crying spells my hair was coming out i was just not me at all but i feel like myself again and only been on them 7 weeks thats not bad at all my sister said it took her longer but my sister didnt take hers right.
god bless and hope all you people get better soon like i have .

 
Old 03-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: logansport ,indiana usa
Posts: 881
vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Re: if you have under active thyriod do you have to take xanax too or can you ween of

well so far today i only took 1 xanax at 6am and that was all i needed allday i dont feel the aniety just very little but i didnt take a pill cause it wasnt so bad i think im going to be allright now and as for the celexa i have another week to take then i start taking 1 every other day then im to stop .i will see how well i do without the xanax but i think im going to make it i will have to just wait and see but i only had to take 1 today and thats good . vickie45

 
Old 03-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,247
Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: if you have under active thyriod do you have to take xanax too or can you ween of

That's great Vicky! I hope you continue to do well. A lot of doctors prescibe women anti depressants and anti anxiety meds to women when we tell them our symptoms. Thyroid problems are hardly ever looked at first, it's so common, especially hypo, and the symptoms are always the same, did they skip the thyroid section in medical school? Just wean off the xanax slowly not all at once,it is habit forming at the level you were taking and you could have withdrawal symptoms in a couple of days, don't risk it. I only took 0.5 mgs a day or half of that, and when I weaned off I went down a half for a week, then cut that down,it was a quarter of a pill,for a week,once you get down that low you can stop. Try cutting the pill in half the first week, but take it 3 times a day still and do that for a least a week. You might feel good not taking it 3 times a day, but it might catch up to you, don't do it too fast, okay? Please ask the doctor how to do it. Take care!

 
Old 03-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: logansport ,indiana usa
Posts: 881
vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Re: if you have under active thyriod do you have to take xanax too or can you ween of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran'sNana View Post
That's great Vicky! I hope you continue to do well. A lot of doctors prescibe women anti depressants and anti anxiety meds to women when we tell them our symptoms. Thyroid problems are hardly ever looked at first, it's so common, especially hypo, and the symptoms are always the same, did they skip the thyroid section in medical school? Just wean off the xanax slowly not all at once,it is habit forming at the level you were taking and you could have withdrawal symptoms in a couple of days, don't risk it. I only took 0.5 mgs a day or half of that, and when I weaned off I went down a half for a week, then cut that down,it was a quarter of a pill,for a week,once you get down that low you can stop. Try cutting the pill in half the first week, but take it 3 times a day still and do that for a least a week. You might feel good not taking it 3 times a day, but it might catch up to you, don't do it too fast, okay? Please ask the doctor how to do it. Take care!
i know about the withdrawls i go to the new dr on march 23rd but im doing pretty good my aniety isnt near as bad as it was i still take the xanax till i get into the dr and have him help me ween off cause i been on the 1 mg 3 times a day for a whole yr and yes that dr who i was seeing i begged him over and over to check my thyriods and he wouldnt and i suffered for way too long because of him so i found a new dr hes a internal medicine im now on the 50 mcg of the name brand of levothyroxine i still have some headachs but it feels like tension but i feel WONDERFULL and only been 7 weeks im going into my 8th week i even drove today and before i never drove i never left my house i wouldnt go into stores now im doing everything i feel like i finally have my life back and my depression is gone too im very very happy i was so depressed for a whole yr and im weening of the celexa i had to ask the drugstore how because my psychiatrist termanated me because i wanted him to ween me off the meds so he got mad well so far im weening off good but i did turn that psychatrist in to the main corp because if he gave me the meds and no refills it was his responceablity to ween me off or tell me at least and he wouldnt even tell me that.but he done me a favor cause i didnt need them anti depressents now the xanax i did cause i was a total mess a yr ago but now im all better .i truely thank god for helping me and some of that meds i was on was making feel like killing myself oh but do they care no they dont i told them i hated taking anti depressents but they said why do i want off if it will help but it didnt help it made me feel worse now i feel GREAT!!!!!and i hope i stay this way and it keeps getting better and better.my husband and family sees a big difference in me too.

 
Old 03-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: logansport ,indiana usa
Posts: 881
vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Re: if you have under active thyriod do you have to take xanax too or can you ween of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckofagal View Post
I've only been dealing with thyroid issues for 4 months myself and have acquired anxiety issues as well. I do have occassional periods of extrememe anxiety myself and I am still trying to get my meds optimized. Although my GP gave me some samples of Lexapro I have resisted taking them. I do understand anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds can be extremely helpful, I was just more concerned about the side effects. One of my biggest issues being hypothyroid had been dizziness and I try to elimate as many meds as possible that may contribute to this. (It's hard to battle an illness when you can't tell if the symptoms are a side effect of the illness or one of your meds.) I have to admit that I have been very close, on more than one occasion, to starting the Lexapro or asking for another med like Ativan that I could just take on an as-needed basis.

I would think once you've leveled out you may be able to get off the meds. You need to wean off them though as quitting cold turkey can cause withdrawal symptoms. Do you feel like your doing better? Perhaps you should take to your doc about taking less of the Xanax per day and getting down to an as needed basis.
yes iam im weening off celexa and its like lexipro i was told but i didnt really need the anti depressents i just needed to get my levels right my aniety is getting alot better its nothing like it was i still have aniety but not anything like before and i never abused my xanax but i just want off them id prob feel alot better once i do im hoping i wont need them but i will have to wait and see i took one this morning and then one tonight to help me sleep but come monday i'll see how i do since i get up at 6am and sometimes i get real shaky when i get up but i will play it by ear and see what happens and i tried the 5's and they never helped my aniety i felt terrible i never calmed down at all on the 5's.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
xanax ??? need advice on how to come off them. vickie45 Panic Disorders 3 09-01-2008 04:38 AM
How much xanax do other people take? mandy26 Anxiety 1 06-16-2008 09:04 PM
if i have the anti bodies is that good or bad or will i get worse? vickie45 Thyroid Disorders 8 03-18-2007 10:47 AM
i have thyriod disorder and this is week 8 and i have tons of energy.... vickie45 Thyroid Disorders 12 03-15-2007 05:06 AM
Celexa-anyone have any info. terry111 Anxiety 10 03-12-2007 06:21 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (668), midwest1 (631), FinnMaid (312), Reece (225), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), ladybud (47), Bran'sNana (44)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (851), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!