It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
what causes tight-throat/lump-in-throat sensation?

does anyone know?

i had it when i was a kid with hyperactive thyroid, and as an adult now with hashi's it has come back. it is not constant, thankfully, because sometimes the feeling is darn annoying. i had an u/s done and the lump/tightness is just a feeling and not due to growths or anything. several docs say my thyroid doesnt feel swollen either.

does anyone know the exact cause behind this feeling? docs never say anything about it. is it that my thyroid is actually 'sore' or 'tired' or something? i dont understand why the feeling comes and goes either, and follows no pattern.

anyone have any idea about this? i know others have complained of this symptom.

thoughts?

thanks

Old 03-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: what causes tight-throat/lump-in-throat sensation?

It's ironic how most MDs tell us it's all in our heads, isn't it? How could we all have the feeling and just happen to have thyroid disease too? Let 'em explain that!

Fortunately, my doc believes what I tell him. He didn't have a certain explanation, but he thinks it has to do with inflammation of the nerves in the gland and the brain interpreting that inflammation as an actual lump. Since I've reached my optimal dose and been at it for some time, apparently whatever gland function that remained has been switched off. I haven't had that lump feeling in ages... Thankfully!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

thnx, mw. yes i can see how that can make sense.

if i move to mo, i'm going to look up your doc.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

That sensation comes and goes for me.......... I had it from July until December, then it went away. It came back mid Feb and now is gone since March 1st. When that sensation comes of fullness in my neck, I could draw you a circle where every nodule is....... I am hoarse and feel tired...... I know the pattern now.

But why it comes and goes I have no idea...Last time I had it I had my TPO checked and it was fine. I am feeling great this week. I have energy, no fullness, my voice is normal? I hope it lasts..........I am having a great week. Other than taking my Armour I almost forgot I had problems for a week.

Oleander.......

Old 03-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
(female)

jenn3 HB User

i have lump feeling alot. Complained to dr about it many times. It drives me nuts.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:40 AM   #6
(female)

Kezzalou HB User

Hi

I've been experiencing this also, mostly in the last couple of months. It comes and goes also, today it feels horrible though, kind of like something is choking me !

I mentioned this to my doctor and asked if it could be anything to do with the thyroid, she just laughed and said no!

I've been over medicated for a couple of months so I'm hoping that by reducing my dose it may go away...

Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
(female)

MATYA HB User

Not sure what this is happening in your case. After a TT post 1 year 3 months, at times I have that same sensation, but I still have many problems since the surgery so I probably can't help you on this one. Have you been checked for Gastric reflex?? You may want to have it checked.

Be Blessed and please keep us posted.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

I also have this sensation. I hate it! I have lived with it now for nearly 3 years. For me, it has been very hard to convince the doctors that it is indeed related to my thyroid disorder and not just "LPR", a form of acid reflux that affects the throat and causes very similar symptoms. I have had a scope down my throat at least a half a dozen times, ultrasounds, etc. and two ENT's who have diagnosed/dismissed it as "just acid reflux". I have spent nearly a year on the prescribed medications for reflux, have done all the dietary restrictions etc. for acid reflux, raised my bed as suggested for acid reflux, all with no results. Ironically, when I have a thryoid meds. change the lump feeling is greatly improved. I am absolutely sure it is caused by not quite optimized yet of my thyroid medications. I have been working with a great endo and we have been tweeking my meds. added some cytomel etc. for fatigue, and the lump in the throat thing is much, much better than it ever has been.

How have any of you been able to convince your thyroid doctors that it really is thyroid rather than an ENT problem???? I love my endo., but to him, this "lump" problem is sort a "secondary symptom" to the more common thyroid problems of fatigue, muscle aches, hair loss etc. His focus has been on relieving my lingering more common hypo symptoms (though the better thyroid hormone balance has relieved the lump sensation quite a bit); but he has sent me for a yet another opinion, with another ENT. That resulted in another scope down my throat...and you guessed it --"dismissed" by the ENT with a diagnosis of LPR, another prescription for Nexium 2x a day, and told to make another apppointment in a few months and "let's see if it's not better by then"... yeah like that's gonna happen...

Any suggestions anybody has would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Red Maple; 03-14-2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: naughty fingers

Old 03-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

red maple

i have not convinced any of my endo's that the lump feeling/tightness sensation is anything at all. as far as i can tell, they probably think i'm imagining it because its not "swollen enough" to justify the feeling, according to them.

i have such a low esteem for endo's. doctors in general but endos are the worst. i gather information on my own, hear people out on these boards, and judge by how i feel and what makes sense. some people here are fortunate to have good endos. i as of yet have not found one.

i have wondered if it might be reflux but the sensation is much higher - around the adams apple/thyroid area.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you are really wondering about reflux, do a ****** on "laryngopharyngeal" reflux, or "LPR". Many informative web sites will come up. This is a little known form of acid reflux that affects the larynx (voicebox) and pharynx (the back of the throat), just about at adam's apple level in the throat. It's usually diagnosed by a scope passed down (through your nose, with local anesthesia) to that area of the throat, if it's even slightly red, they will say it's reflux. I don't think they really know what it is, but LPR is an easy answer and they can get you out of the office and on to the next patient. I don't mean to be so negative about my treatment by the ENT's, but that's precisely how I feel. For me they have not even been willing to consider it could be anything other then reflux, even when the LPR treatment for me is useless. I am not saying that people don't suffer legitimately from this problem. I am sure it is very uncomfortable for them also, and don't want in any way want to slight thier suffering. The symptoms are very similar to what we as thyroid patients discribe as associated with our thyroid disorders. Mine is particulatly affected by my thyroid meds., but not affected in the least little bit in the treatment for LPR. I have therefore come to the conclusion that it is not reflux in my case, or the treatment for LPR after this length of time surely would have given me at least some relief.

It is definately worth it for you to do some research on LPR. Who knows you may be one of those who truely does have it and the reflux treatment would work very well for you.

Best of Luck and if you find anything that works for you, please keep me posted too!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Are you taking Nexium now, Red Maple? I was prescribed it in 2003, after I was told all my symptoms were from GERD. It did relieve my heartburn, but after discovering the heartburn (and other symptoms) could've been from hypoT, I pursued that angle. After I read the physician's prescribing information which says it has caused goiter in rare instances, I stopped taking it altogether. Now that they've learned the stuff causes hip bones to dissolve because of its interference with calcium absorption, I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10-foot pole.

If you don't believe your trouble is from any kind of reflux, you'd be wise to reconsider taking it, JMHO.

Guess I just did a thread hijack... Hope you'll forgive me, Scoot.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-14-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #12
(female)

ljs HB User

This is related to this topic...My 8 yo head-butted me in the neck about a week ago. Since then, I've had this type of sensation going on. It was hurting a bit before but now is mostly uncomfortable. I'm guessing it was sort of bruised or something.

Otherwise I've had this occur for periods several times in recent years. I do have reflux and sometimes symptoms occur at the same time but others I am not sure it's reflux related. I don't take meds for the GERD except when symptoms occur in relatively short episodes. And then I seem to be mostly okay until the next one...

I've only got a semi-dx on hypo and not being treated yet so don't know if thyroid is connected to this at all in my situation.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Midwest, no I am not taking any reflux medications now at all. And, thanks for the tip about the calcuim, and goiter issues. I didn't know that PPI's could do that.

When I was first diagnosed with "LPR", I did Prevacid for about 8 months, then the insurance company dropped that in favor of Nexium, I took Nexium for about 6 months. Neither made any positive change in the way I feel. The only thing they did was constipate me. I didn't think constipation and a motility problem could be any good at all for my digestion, even if I did have a reflux problem. I have no heartburn (and never have) or any other symptoms of the more common form of GERD. I stopped taking the PPI's about 2 years ago, and frankly have felt better without them if for no other reason than the constipation stopped.

The "lump in the throat" has improved as my doctor has tweeked my thyroid meds over the past year, but it's not completely gone. I can sort of "feel" it in my throat when my thyroid hormone levels go up or down. I hope I am just not quite optimized, and this isn't something I am going to have to live with the rest of my life! You know me and patience though--I have absolutely none at all when I don't feel as well as I thnik I could. Waiting for a new dosage to fully integrate into my system and see how I do just isn't my cup of tea!!!!! (Whine...whaaaaaa)

Last edited by Red Maple; 03-15-2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: clumsy finger syndrome

Old 03-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #14
(female)

adj76 HB User

I've posted twice with a similar concern with no response, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who suffers from this. I have noticed that as my TSH has become more stable, the sensation has improved. Now I don't know if it was an anxiety thing and now that the anxiety has improved somewhat that the feeling has gone away, or if it's a thyroid related thing. Anyway...Good luck with it. Hopefully it will improve like mine has
Angela

Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #15
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but is this the same as waking up in the middle of the night and thinking that you just swallowed a ring, rock, jawbreaker, or something? I noticed that I have been getting this many nights a week for the past 2 years and I was diagnosed hypo in October 2006. Just wondering if you guys have experience this.

Closed Thread