It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

Robinchar HB User
Pain radiating from thyroid nodule

Hi I have five thyroid nodules, the doctor ordered a fine needle aspiration biopsy on two of them. I get the results on Wednesday. I am having a sharp throbing pain radiating from the largest one and it goes up the side of my neck. It comes and goes, it is not always present.

If the results of the biopsy show they are not cancer, I am wondering what kind of treatment they could or would do to relieve the pain in the neck; short of surgery.

Has anyone had this same experience that has not had surgery?

Thanks for the help, I am sooooo nervous!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Pain radiating from thyroid nodule

Have you tried advil for the pain?

I had thyroid cancer and had sudden pain from a nodule I wasn't aware of, but was probably there for many years.

Many pp. have popped up on these boards with painful nodules (not necessarily cancerous!), and if they are large, and causing discomfort they may require surgery anyway even if they are benign.....

Just so you know, the surgery is not a biggie when it comes to surgery. If you go thru. old posts, you will see many pp. who've had surgery (benign nodules) with very good results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
(female)

stephanie867 HB User

I have a pretty large nodule and sometimes it hurts...I'm trying to keep a diary of what I eat and see if some kind of food is affecting it. I know that when I'm not drinking enough water, it bothers me. Sounds weird, but it's the truth. My endo has suggested taking it out (I went through the ultrasound, biopsy, etc. and it's benign), just because of the size, but I don't want to be on meds for the rest of my life, and it's not bothering me that badly. So for now I'm just dealing with it.

My naturopath suggested rubbing castor oil on it...castor oil is supposed to help with inflammation. So I've been doing that the last few days, I don't know if it's helping or not, but it does seem to be feeling a little better.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

I HAVE A 3MM SOMETHING IN MY THYROID ANFD A SWOLLEN GLAND AND I GET SHARP PAINS ALSO IT HURTS I PUT A SALT HOT RAG ON TI AS IT HELPS THE GLANDS CAN GET SWOLLEN TO AS IT SEEMS TO CAUSE A STIFF NECK ALSO THEY SAY THEY SHOULDNT HURT BUT MOST OF US WITH THEM KNOW THEY DO LOVE FROM KATXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX

Old 03-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
(female)

Robinchar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie867 View Post
I have a pretty large nodule and sometimes it hurts...I'm trying to keep a diary of what I eat and see if some kind of food is affecting it. I know that when I'm not drinking enough water, it bothers me. Sounds weird, but it's the truth. My endo has suggested taking it out (I went through the ultrasound, biopsy, etc. and it's benign), just because of the size, but I don't want to be on meds for the rest of my life, and it's not bothering me that badly. So for now I'm just dealing with it.

My naturopath suggested rubbing castor oil on it...castor oil is supposed to help with inflammation. So I've been doing that the last few days, I don't know if it's helping or not, but it does seem to be feeling a little better.
Stephanie, thanks for the info. that was my feeling exactly. If it is not cancer, I don't want to have my thyroid taken out and be on medication for the rest of my life. But at least I know now from some of the replys and research I have done on the internet, if I do have to have the surgery, it won't be that bad.

Closed Thread