It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

wangela67 HB User
Stay on Levoxyl or switch to Armour?

Hi
Currently on 175mcg Levoxyl. Thinking about switching to 1 1/5 grain of Armour. Thoughts anyone. I feel pretty good right now, except for weight gain, and very low libido. Could Armour help in these areas?

My last lab results were:

TSH - 3.43 Ref. Range (.3-5.5)
T3 Total - 121 RR (59-200)
T3 Uptake - 36.3 (23.0-37.)
TT4 8.8 - (4.5-12.)
T4 Free - 1.16 (.80 - 1.80)
FTI 3.2 (1.5 - 2.9)

Old 03-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
(female)

boata HB User
Re: Stay on Levoxyl or switch to Armour?

Your Free T4 is low in range, which would indicate to me that you are undertreated. Armour is mostly T3 - which could cause you some problem changing over if your original problem is lower than optimal T4. I am well on my way to being optimized and libido never got better with thyroid meds - it was only after I found a nurse practitioner that knew what to look for in my female hormones and supplemented properly that this got better. Estrogen and progesterone helped me. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I switched and I feel much better. But why do you or your doctor want to switch meds if Levoxyl is working for you? The first time I switched I made the mistake of not allowing the Levoxyl to get out of my system. The T3 in Armour really made me hyper when mixed with the Levoxyl. I don't know why my doc didn't tell me that. The next time I tried the switch I just went off thyroid meds for a little over a week. Then I took the Armour and I felt fine. One word of caution though, 1 1/2 grain of Armour is about equal to .175 of Levoxyl. I was on 100mcg. So I was put on 1 grain of Armour. That was to much. I ended up taking 1/4 grain and going up to a 1/2 grain. So be careful. Maybe you should try cutting Armour in half and see what how you feel on it. You can always take the second half a few hours later if you don't feel anything. But with T3, you usually feel something pretty quickly.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
(female)

wangela67 HB User

Thanks for responding RSTARRE and BOATA.
Well you are right, Levoxyl is working for me because it is the only drug I've ever known. Then again, has it worked? Since I was 20 I've suffered from panic disorder, and right now am taking Paxil for this disorder. Also, I will turn 40 this year, and I've gained 40 lbs this past year, my libido is nonexistent. My husband has talked to me about his feelings, and I basically feel bad that I am never in the mood. I know the Paxil has an impact on libido so I know it may not be all Hypothyroid related. However, before I even took Paxil I had problems in this area. I had a nurse practitioner check female hormones and I was low in Testosterone, which I received a cream prescription. This has not helped.

This past year I made a pact with myself to see if I could solve the low libido, and weight problem. I've tried Testosterone cream, I've tried another antidepressant (wellbutrin) in hopes of coming off Paxil. The wellbutrin made me more anxious after 3 weeks so I stopped taking this drug.

( REMOVED )

You hear so many good things about Armour, and how the addition of T3, T1, T2 is more like a human's thyroid. I honestly don't know what to do at this point. Maybe I should just up the dosage of Levoxyl and see if I see improvement. Do you think (based on lab results) I should not take the Armour?

Last edited by moderator2; 03-27-2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting rules section titled "How to share information".

Closed Thread