It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User
Radioactive Iodine Pill

About 8 years ago, I was overactive. I had an thyroid scan and a thyroid ultra sound done. I have mulitnodular (hot and cold) goiter with a background of graves. They gave me a Radioactive Iodine Pill to kill part of my thyroid. Now I'm underactive. We since moved and I've been going to a thyroid doctor here and told her that my husband said I had cancer of the thyroid. She said if they didn't do a biopsy and since these nodules went down or away, I didn't have cancer. My husband said, they why did they give me a radioactive iodine pill? I'm confused. I was told that this pill will kill part of my thyroid whether it was cancer or not. Are there other reasons to give a RAI pill?

Thank You,

Bernice

Old 03-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Radioactive Iodine Pill

The pill is given most often for overactivity of the gland - like you had. It most often kills off all of the gland, which cures the hyperT by trading it for hypoT. Even though doctors tell patients it will kill only part, it nearly always renders a person hypothyroid afterward.

RAI is also given as part of the treatment for thyroid cancer. The gland is first removed surgically, but because thyroid tissue can regenerate from the remaining bits of tissue surrounding the parathyroids that have to be left in place, administering RAI will kill off those remaining bits in order to prevent regrowth and possible recurrence of cancer.

It appears that you did NOT have cancer, because your gland was not removed and your nodules went away or reduced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User
Re: Radioactive Iodine Pill

Thank You for your reply. I told them to take out my thyroid but he said it wasn't neccessary. Now, I can't get it regulated.

Bernice

Closed Thread