It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

Crystalgray HB User
Hypothyroid and strong metallic odor

I have been having very odd symptoms for the past year and now my doctors seems to think its my thyroid. It all started with what I thought was a cold. I was really cold all the time, stomach pains, constipation and bad breath, white-coated tongue and a sore throat. I t all came out of no where and for no reason. I went from doctor to doctor for a year and they could find nothing wrong with me. The bad breath is more like a strong metallic smell of sorts-all my doctors thought it was unrelated and that I should see a dentist. I have, I have excellent hygiene and perfect teeth. Each doctor noticed that my thyroid seemed enlaged during examination yet each test came back normal.

I went to my 13 or 14 doctor last week and had blood drawn and my TSH level came back 4.76, my cholesterol was also sky high (105). The thing about my cholesterol is that its been high everytime they have checked it
(at least 4-5 seperate blood tests from various doctors).

I am not sure what is wrong with me or why I have this awlful smell. Has anyone ever endured this?

I am a female, in excellent shape (I gained 15 pounds over the past year even though I workout and eat well), early 20's.

Any information would be helpful.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: Hypothyroid and strong metallic odor

Your TSH (above 3) combined with the symptoms of unexplained weight gain, cold all the time, stomach pains, constipation (classic hypothyroid) all point suspiciously toward an underactive thyroid. Some doctors would prescribe a trial dose of T4 med based on those. Others will call it borderline and, perhaps, want to see a rise in the TSH before treatment. There are good arguments for both approaches.

I think, if I were you, I would try to find a doctor willing to either (1) run TSH, Free T4, Free T3 and antibody tests for Hashimoto's or (2) run TSH labs more frequently or (3) run a minimum of TSH and Free T4 or (4)prescribe the trial med. Some doctors will treat with a TSH over 3, especially if antibodies present indicate Hashimoto's.

Sooner or later I think you will be diagnosed hypothyroid. Take deep breaths and keep trying. Try to remember good doctors prefer to err on the side of caution for your safety. This doesn't mean the doctor doesn't know what he/she is doing. It doesn't mean your doctor is heartless. He/she is probably more aware than most would think and cares very much. Don't allow this to affect you emotionally. Just keep trying to get help. Know you have a lot of empathy and support here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, you do sound as if you'd benefit from a trial of thyroid hormone, now, not later. Your TSH is about where mine was when I started treatment.

The metallic breath business may be related. Does anyone else smell it, or is something only you perceive? Smell and taste aberrations are among the definite but lesser-known hypothyroid symptoms.

Don't give up hope! If my advice does nothing for you except to give you courage to persist in finding a diagnosis and treatment, my time giving it will have been well spent.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

hello there
your symptoms sound hypo. you may have heard here before that tsh alone is not a sufficient guide for thyroid disease. they should be testing your blood for free t3 and free t4 levels as well. they noted your thyroid is enlarged - has anyone done an ultrasound on it for you? have they tested you for anti-thyroid antibodies? that is another typical test to look for hypothyroid of the hashimoto's type. not sure about the bad breath - maybe its directly or indirectly related to hypo. have you looked into acid reflux?

keep persisent with these docs.

Last edited by scoot; 03-28-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Closed Thread