It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

loretta38 HB User
Re: tightening of throat

I felt that way for ten years. Have they done an ultrasound on your thyroid? Mine was huge and then when they did surgery to remove it - the doctor commented "your thyroid was so large and hard as a rock - I am surprised you hadn't complained to doctors about feeling like you had something stuck in your throat" - well I did - for ten years - but of course it was anxiety - depression - you know the mind thing. Have yours checked if you haven't already.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

red maple: i am glad that u are living life. we need to hear those kinds of stories. stories of wanting to live and to beat the disease. i know at times these pains can bring us down. but we have to remind ourselves that this too will pass.

loretta: i am going to see an endo soon. i was seeing a cardio because i thought i had some heart palpitations but she said it wasn't my heart, that it was my thyroid. so now i scheduled to get referred to an endo. i will keep everyone posted.

i hate when the tightening comes because i really feel like vomitting. it hasn't gotten real bad where i'm completely out of breath but i do start to freak out. i have learned to slowly calm down and drink cold water or do something to distract me. it is annoying, but i always try to remember that it will pass. thanks guys for all your advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #18
(female)

rakerabbit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona_23 View Post
thanks for the advice misswells. i will definitely give it a try. do u know of any remedies to stop the tightening feeling??? my doctor hasn't diagnosed me with either hypo or hyper but is doing some tests on me still. i have an appointment on april 2. i will know more then. i hate it when i feel the tightening feeling and then i get lightheaded. how can people live like this???? i'm new to all this, but i'm really freaking myself out.
i totally understand...I have been getting the choking feeling for years and have never been able to wear high collered shirts or necklaces. I always thought it was in my head

I pretty much forced my doctor to test me for hypo...my blood tests are "normal" but I still knew something was wrong so they did an ultrasound and found cysts.

crazy....

Old 04-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

rakerabbit, so they removed the cysts? or the whole thyroid? i had an ultrasound done on my thyroid and doctor said that it does look inflammed but not too bad. whatever that means. she also said that the left side is bigger than the right side. i'm going to see an endo soon and hope that i learn more about my illness. it really does take a toll on the body.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
(female)

redhed87 HB User

I have the same feeling and I too get lightheaded. I have a 2.5cm cold nodule on my thyroid. I fell like garbage- I see the endo on 4/19- hopefully to get some answers. My nuclear scan suggests hyperthyroidism- although bloodwork "normal". I was thinking this could also be anxiety? Any thoughts?

Old 04-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

sometimes i don't know anymore. i feel it not as often as i used to, thank goodness. i do get anxiety but really not as bad as before. redhed87, i'm sure that your thyroid has something to do with your anxiety. i do get lightheaded more often and that isn't fun. i hate it too. i go to my family doctor tomorrow to get a referral to the endo. and hope to get some answers then.

FYI, i put "To all who has sickenesses" down in my churches' prayer book. so u are all in our prayers.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #22
(female)

rakerabbit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona_23 View Post
rakerabbit, so they removed the cysts? or the whole thyroid? i had an ultrasound done on my thyroid and doctor said that it does look inflammed but not too bad. whatever that means. she also said that the left side is bigger than the right side. i'm going to see an endo soon and hope that i learn more about my illness. it really does take a toll on the body.
well, I went to the doctor yesterday and he said I had three cysts, one about 1.1 cm so he wants to do a biopsy and aspirate it...but he doesnt think any of my symptoms or the choking feeling is related to it and he doesn't think i am hypo.
Also, he went back and looked at my blood tests and notices my cortisol levels are low..so now he wants to check into my adrenal glands.

he referred me to a ear and throat doctor for the choking feeling.
arggggg ;(

Old 05-03-2007, 02:26 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

yes i have it to infact i had to take anti inflamitories and it helped a s when i have it i also get red eyes and feel unwell my heart gets weird with it like irregular and feels shallow and slow?? do you have this i think its when the thyroid is undermedicated this was relaly bad when i got wrongly taken off thyroid meds and it was inflammed and swollen i guess thats why it feels tight unhappy thyroid ????????? if the ibuprfen helps it then you knwo and i have also had really irregular beats sinse thsi has anyone else had theese with thsi full feeling ???? good luck and i hope you can post back?? lots of love from kat and i do understand its not a nice feeling xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 05-03-2007, 03:15 AM   #24
(female)

darlindeb25 HB User

i totally understand...I have been getting the choking feeling for years and have never been able to wear high collered shirts or necklaces. I always thought it was in my head It's so strange when you read another say something and you know exactly how they feel because you live it too. I can't swallow some foods and I choke, sometimes, I can't catch my breath, I get severe hiccups and must either force the food down or it comes up. I also can not tolerate anything around my neck, no collars, no t-shirts, no necklaces.

By the way, I tried that "swallowing water and watching neck" thing. I see a thickness on the right side of my neck. Kev told me he thought my neck had been changing, but he thought maybe it was because I have gained weight and he didn't say anything because he knows how upset I am about the weight gain. I sure hope this endo is a "don't stop until I figure this out" type, I do not need another doctor who just settles for average!

Celiac Disease--gluten free since 7/00
Peripheral Neuropathy--DX 10/05

Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

darlindeb, im sorry that your feeling this way. i hope that you find answers because feeling crappy isn't a good thing. i'm sure tons of us feel that way on here. u might have a goiter. so as soon as they can fix it, i'm sure u'll start feeling a little better. there's so much craziness that comes together with this this thyroid disease that i don't wish this upon anyone. and i'm new to all this. goodluck.

ps. im in the same boat when it comes to doctors. many of us are....hope u find a good one.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #26
(female)

Gilgul HB User
Unhappy Re: tightening of throat

I am also new to hypo and only after taking thyroxine did I start feeling the tightening of the throat, I was actually eating baby food for a week as I could not swallow, but it is getting better and as I do get anxiety and lightheaded I just gathered that the tightening was part of the fact I am not relaxed about the whole thing...I guess its a combination.

As for the tingly sensation you mentioned In also was getting those on and off again not sure if it was anxiety or condition and probably a combination.
I will be seeing an Endo later in June and really hope to find healing as the whole situation is getting me down emotionally

I did however make sure to go dancing the other night and had a great time, only at the end of the night got a funny feeling in my throat and ears and tingly hands on the way home...but I hope to try and continue enjoying life although these sensations to make me feel very vulnerable at times....
Wish you all health, relaxation and balance

Closed Thread