It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

Judy Anne HB User
Question What is normal range for TSH, T4 and T3?

I've been searching the Internet but can't find the normal ranges in a blood test for TSH, T4 and T3.

I just got my new tests back and they are

T4 Thyroxine 6.0

TSH High Sensitivity .07

T3 69

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: What is normal range for TSH, T4 and T3?

You need to get the range from the laboratory which did your lab work. The ranges vary from lab to lab, so you won't find a standard range on the internet. In the U.S. we are entitled by law to have a hard copy of the lab results, including ranges. Some have to ask for them and others have to pay cost of providing them, but it is worth it to have your own file on your lab history.

You not only need the ranges, but you need to know the names of the labs. Hopefully those were Free T4 and Free T3 labs. Your TSH alone would be in the low end of normal for any TSH range I have seen, so knowing the results of the "frees" would be very telling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

Judy Anne HB User

I see why I couldn't find the ranges. I know she is most concerned about my low T3. I'll get more information.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Anne View Post
I know she is most concerned about my low T3. I'll get more information.

I would be very puzzled, indeed, if your T3 is low in its range with the TSH also low, if you are not taking a medication with T3 hormone in it.

Are you being treated for a thyroid disorder? If so, what medication and dose are you on currently?

Many people take both a T4 and T3 med in some combination. Depending on which meds, taking T3, they find the TSH lab becomes less meaningful because it often is suppressed by the time they get to optimum levels (measured by Free T4 and Free T3 labs). So, once a T3 med is being taken, one would hope the doc is looking at FT4, FT3 and your symptoms.

If you are not taking a T3 med, it would be troublesome to see a low FT3 and a low TSH at the same time, especially if FT4 is also low. Are you sure she didn't express concern over the low TSH? If so, I hope she is saying that based on a high FT3, not a low one.

midwest1, dea and some other members here can explain all this better than I can, but a TSH of .7 alone wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. It is still within lab range. However, a TSH of .7 with low "frees" would not be what one would expect, could indicate other issues.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
(female)

Judy Anne HB User

I am taking meds for low thyroid. I take levothyroxin, 50mcg with no problems and it has brought my T4 up to the normal range. It's the T3 that has been a problem. Me doctor started me on a half a 25 mcg a day and I got terrible itchy all over my body. So I went to 5 mcg a day which I had no reaction to but when I got the blood tests a few days ago my T3 is still low. So I need more. I am trying to add 2.5 after lunch on top of the 5 in the morning. After a few days the itching went away and it was never as bad as the first time. Now I am trying to get it up to 10. If that works I think I will be OK.

Closed Thread