It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
(female)

Zenobiadestiny HB User
Weight Loss and thyroid med

I just found out today that my thyroid is low. This would explain the weight I have been gaining even though I'm eating less and more healthy. My question is did anyone notice how soon they started to lose weight? I am so anxious to get this weight off! Thanks

Old 04-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Weight Loss and thyroid med

Ummm... I hope your expectations aren't too high. Even though that weight crept on without any effort, that doesn't mean it will just melt off now that you're taking thyroid med. Unfortunately, that happens for only a tiny percentage of people.
To get it off, you're still going to have to work at it the same way you would if your thyroid was working properly.
Sorry for that seemingly bad news. But good luck with your treatment and getting back in shape!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

Well, for me I lost two pounts the first week, and it has come off steadily since then. I am down about 10 pounds now. I wasn't expecting this to happen because I had read so many things saying it wouldn't, but I think for me I was skinny under the thyroid weight, if that makes sense --I am an avid exerciser (walking, yoga, weights) and have been all through this horrible time with the thyroid in all but the most bone-tired weeks. I used to be a full-time teacher and when I wore a pedomenter I would clock 10,000 steps just walking around the classroom. I also eat very healthy and no one, including me, could understand why I had put on the 15 pounds in the first place. So, that's my experience with the weight loss, but I know that I am a freak of nature.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
(female)

Zenobiadestiny HB User

Thank you for your replies!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hi - it is possible to lose the weight but you have to have a rigid plan and be committed to it. You also have to plan on making some permanent diet changes due to being hypo. I just posted a thread about "7" lbs I lost in the last 8 days. I've eaten certain things and all I wanted of any of it. I'm starting Phase I of the South Beach diet tomorrow (I like to whole concept of that diet). Please check out my thread to Bookishmama I just posted.

I also started a thread about weight loss on 4/4/07 please see if you can locate that thread about 5 or 6 pages back because lots of people offered their suggestions on how to tackle the problem. My present goal is to just get rid of 15 lbs. I've only got 8 more to go.

Like Bookishmama said - you definetly need to get an ample amount of exercise each day. At least 30 minutes. I have worn a pedometer all week to work and I average about 4.25 miles per day. I try to make sure it is as brisk as possible.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

i was diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis and symptoms include weight gain. i haven't gained anything. i hope that i don't. i did lose 12 lbs in one month. because i didn't know wat was wrong with me. now that i know that i have something wrong with my thyroid...i am so not looking forward to gaining weight. i am overweight as it is. so losing the 12 lbs was great. i did gain 3 lbs since but still not back to my old weight, which i'm happy about. goodluck in ur journey to losing weight. don't put so much pressure on urself to lose weight. right now, feeling better (on the inside) should be more important. goodluck.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

That's a great point, Iona.

Closed Thread