HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Thyroid & Muscle And Joint Pain (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/491420-thyroid-muscle-joint-pain.html)

DOROTHY859 04-18-2007 06:34 AM

Thyroid & Muscle And Joint Pain

WAS DIAGNOSED HYPOTHYROID IN APRIL AND HAVE BEEN ON .05MG THYROXINE FOR A WEEK. I CAN ALREADY FEEL SOME IMPROVEMENT IN THE BRAIN FOG AND THE MUSCLES, BUT IF I HAVE A NIGHT WHERE I CAN'T SLEEP, THE MUSCLE ACHE AND WEAKNESS IS WORSE. AT ONE POINT IT WAS VERY DIFFICULT TO WALK OR STAND FOR MORE THAN A FEW MINUTES. I'VE BEEN GETTING SOME GOOD INFORMATION FROM THIS SITE BUT I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS EXPERINCED THE MUCSCLE ISSUE WITH HYPTHROID AND HOW THEY HAVE PROGRESSED WITH IT. THANKS.:wave:

mominky 04-18-2007 07:36 AM

Re: Thyroid & Muscle And Joint Pain

Dorothy,

I was diagnosed a bout three weeks ago. I am on .5 levothyroxine. I have noticed some inprovement wi th muscle aches especially the twitching. However, when I stand for more than a few minutes, my lower back hurts like crazy. If I sit for a few minutes it goes away. Good luck

Kristie

DOROTHY859 04-18-2007 08:06 AM

Kristie
Thanks For Your Feedback. My Worst Muscle Aches Are In My Upper Legs And Upper Arms. I Find That If I Can Sit Down With A Hot Water Bottle Or One Of Those Bean Things You Heat In The Microwave It Will Relieve The Ache Somewhat.

sparkles916 04-18-2007 08:12 AM

I suffered from muscle tightness, I always felt really sore and stiff and I could stretch endlessly all day trying to seek relief. After I started treatment on the levothyroxine, the excessive stiffness and soreness resolved. But I am still generally stiff and sometimes sore. Never had any aches though.

I did read about a connection between autoimmune thryoid disorders and fibromyalgia. My mother has had fibromyalgia for many years with aching muscles so muc h so she often had to go to bed.

I have experienced general muscle weakness too. Sometimes, my arm would tremble if I was holding a magazine reading in bed. Other times I just relt as if I had no strength. Leg weakness was pretty much a direct result of fatigue, I sometimes tremble in exhaustion and feel I must throw myself on the bed.

I think they are two distinct phemomena. But, if the weakness gets worse or does not seem to be connected to fatigue, I would investigate further.

finally, I have been treated for hypo for a year. Still trying to get the levels correct with the amount of medication. I still experience the same symptoms though to a lesser extent. Be patient. Its only been three weeks and you do not yet know if you are taking the correct dosage. Many end up somewhere between 100 and 125 mcg/d from what I understand.

:)

Red Maple 04-18-2007 10:45 AM

I was formally diagnosed hypothyroid in Feburary of 2003, just a bit over 4 years ago. I am quite sure I suffered from the disorder, undiagnosed, for at least a year prior to that and most likely longer. Muscle/joint aches, especially my shoulders have followed me on this thyroid journey. At first the shoulder pain was really excruciating. I thought for sure I had injured my shoulder very badly. I did not know at the time that it could be caused by my hypothyroidism and saw an orthopedic surgeon. It symptoms indicated a rotator cuff tear that would require surgery to correct. The doctor ordered an MRI of my shoulder and no tear was found. In fact the MRI came out perfectly normal. He sent me for physical therapy, lifting weights, and it did nothing for me.

I have tried various meds, and various dosages of my thyroid hormone replacement therapy with some improvement. I am getting closer to an optimum dosage of thyroid meds, last fall added just a bit of T3 in the form of cytomel. That has also helped. Many of us find relief with thyroid hormone supplement and treatment. You probably will too given a little more time. In addition to my thryoid meds, the simpliest and effective thing for me been the gentle streching of yoga exercise. I have practiced yoga for about 15 years and love it. If I do it consistently it really helps me by not allowing my muscles and joints to stiffen up. However, I say that as I sit here with a heating pad on my back...I love to garden, yesterday was a beautiful day in my area, and I really overdid it! It's going to be a few days of rest for me, before I can even do the yoga stretches! Oh well... such is life. I love to work in my yard, it's very theraputic for me, and have no intention of allowing my thyroid caused muscle pain to stop me from doing the things I love! For me, where there's a will there's a way! Only sometimes I'm more willing than others... :rolleyes:

Bran'sNana 04-18-2007 02:30 PM

I am hyper and suffer from shoulder pain....none of you think it's from the meds? I take tapazole and It came on kind of slowly since December,I was put on the meds in September. It's a common side effect of the med. What about the Synthroid, is muscle or joint pain a common side effect too? Or is it the antibodies, cause I'm definitely not hypo(especially after today read my post). I'm still searching for the answer, and have gotten myself all screwed up playing with my dosage. I too do stretching, p.t. and all kinds of heat paraphenalia!!!:rolleyes:

loretta38 04-18-2007 02:58 PM

You know how you see those commercials for restless leg syndrome. I am on Synthroid now - since March 29th I had my thyroid removed due to Graves - So they have me on Synthroid 88mmg - well my tsh on April 13 was 2.49 - so in theory my doctor is going to up the dosage when I see him on April 26th to try to get to that target 1.0 - 1.5 range. I do another lab test on April 20, then see him on the 26th. Well if he ups the dosage - I am really going to feel that restless body syndrome all over. Upper thighs and upper arms especially. I am constantly stretching to try to relieve the symptoms - Taking advil too - Then at night - because I have a herniated disc in my neck - I have Flexeral (Muscle Relaxer) - I have been taking that to try to just sleep without constantly having to wake up and roll around my bed stretching my body all out. It barely helps. So today I looked up Synthroid to see what the side effects were and that restless body feeling - achy feeling - electrical charge feeling - is a side effect. But when I called my doctor about it - he said - "you have been through a lot with losing your Father - lets give it some time". I am thinking my time is about up with this medicine. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Maple 04-20-2007 07:28 AM

Though it certainly could be a side effect of medications, but muscle aches/discomfort are also a common symptom of an underactive thyroid. At this point in your treatment it may be very difficult to tell if your discomfort is from the meds. or the disease itself. When the muscles and tissues of the body do not receive enough thyroid hormone they ache. If your body has been depleted of thyroid hormone, it will take some time for those muscles to heal and absorb the beneficial hormone again. Thus you are probably better off with it than without it. Most people adjust well with a little time. I would guess (and it's only a guess) that you will be feeling better in 8-10 weeks time. Then you will need more blood tests to determine if the medication is at the correct dosage for you. Many of us continue to have minor "annoyances" of muscle aches and pains. My shoulder is definately one of those annoyances. I have gotton used to it, am able to continue most of my regular activities, and for the most part just ignore it. I don't know if it will ever go away completely. It is minor though on the scale of annoyances...many other things in life annoy me much, much more!

Good luck to you. At this stage of your thyroid disorder, you don't know if this problem is from the medication or from the disease itself. Unfortunately you will not have a clear picture to determine where it's comming from for several more weeks until you know it the meds are helping you or not. I think the most miserable thing about this thyroid stuff is the uncertainty, trial and error, wait to see if it helps-and often the wait time while not feeling well is for nothing.

Please know that your are not alone. Most of us on the board have gone through similar situations as yours. Please let us know how you are, if for no other reason than to just vent your frustration. Good grief..I've whined so many times here and it's really been thearaputic if nothing else! Hang in there and best of luck!!!!!

marian100 04-20-2007 07:48 PM

i have hashimoto's and have been on thyroid meds for at least 15 years. i was taking 150mcgs of levoxyl and had been for at least 3 years. my level in march came back low and so my endo decreased my meds slightly. about 3 weeks later i laid in bed aching in almost every joint and my calves. i hadn't done anything strenuous to cause this. i went to my internest a few days later and he did some blood work but nothing wrong there. i believe this is from lowering my meds. my meds have been changed before due to the test results and had to go back to the original dose a few months later. i bet that's what will happen this time. the aches aren't as bad but still there. use ibuprofen and heat as needed. God bless:angel:

rach33 04-22-2007 12:49 AM

I know I am a broken record with this b-12 thing, but the wonderful thyroid disease/hashi especially causes b-12 defiencie/pernicous enemia, and that nerve pain, arms and legs, I am on b-12 injections and it is so much better, I know when I have missed a dose cuz at about 9 days, it comes back... Lovingly reminding all to "make" dr check b12 levels :) Rach

ErinBeth 04-22-2007 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=Red Maple;2929745] ... Muscle/joint aches, especially my shoulders have followed me on this thyroid journey. ...

I am getting closer to an optimum dosage of thyroid meds, last fall added just a bit of T3 in the form of cytomel. That has also helped. ... However, I say that as I sit here with a heating pad on my back... I love to garden, yesterday was a beautiful day in my area, and I really overdid it! It's going to be a few days of rest for me, before I can even do the yoga stretches! [/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]Glad I caught this post, Deb, although I am sorry to hear the addition of the Cytomel hasn't resolved the pain issue. That was going to be my next step after reaching the target TSH of around 1. I was going to ask my doctor to do the FT4/FT3 tests for the first time to see if there was room in range to up my dose or add some T3, primarily because of the soft tissue pain I have from shoulders to lower back. Other pressure points, too, but not really noticeable unless pressed.

I have believed there was a strong possibility most, if not all, my pain is caused by that underfunctioning thyroid, which has likely even died by now considering the number of years I know it wasn't doing its job and wasn't receiving any help.

As I think about whether to even bother my doc about this, it occurs to me I can't recall a single story here where anyone described the kind of pain I have being eliminated by thyroid hormones, even though it sure seems related considering the number of hypothyroid patients claiming to also have this kind of pain.

Another factor is that I have been feeling this kind of pain for about 18 years, gradually increasing. While most of the time it can be pushed back to bearable levels using Ibuprofen and Tylenol, I did have an amazing month or two after my last Levothroid increase (to 125 mcgs) where it was just gone. Gone! Awesome! Life felt just gloriously good during that period!

And then that acute lower back, pelvic region, pain where I had to take a heavy NSAID med for about four days and the fibro-like pain came back. It has stayed back, as intense as ever.

I don't know what to think, frankly.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Bran'sNana 04-22-2007 04:35 PM

hey Erin, you can have some of my t-3 if you want, it seems Im making to much again! I was so desperate to eleviate my shoulder pain, I stopped my meds for a week(with doc's okay), then went about 3 weeks, and decided to cut my dosage in half just to see if THAT helped. (Yeah, it helped to screw up my labs) Not really, I think I feel better from my stretching exercises(p.t.) and the med Mobic, an anti- inflammatory. It just seems awful weird that I being hyper and you being hypo, and Red all having the SAME kind of pain? Is it a co-incidence? Do we have rhumatoid athritis, another auto immune disease? My physical therapist says I don't have it. The only thing she thought of from one of her medical books(she has a masters in p.t) is the sensory nerve she said, runs from the thyroid to the neck and shoulders?I know I never had this pain 4 months ago, and have been on Tapazole almost 8 months. I hope someone finds an answer for us. I know I've heard a lot of you guys say you have hip pain, that I don't have(knock on wood!)