It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

jaczach HB User
Question New - Need help with surgery decision

Hi - I am 32 and always had an enlarged thyroid. I have lots of nodules in them - about 6 above 1 cm. I had 1 biopsied and it was OK. I have had ultrasounds every 6 months and the nodules keep growing and more keeping adding. I have had 2 doctors want to take it out and 1 said maybe wait. I fluctaute with hyperthyroidism - sometimes my blood results say I am and sometimes not.

The doctors said they can't biopsy all the nodules abpve 1 cm - too many. I am scared of surgery because I am scared to feel awful and after reading everything on this board it seems like you don't feel good and gain a lot of weight.

Sometimes it is painful and hard to swallow - but I could live with that if I had too. Not sure how I feel about nodules growing and adding.

Can anyone help with my decision? Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
(female)

cpht32 HB User
Re: New - Need help with surgery decision

jac

I had a total thyroidectomy on Feb 28 of this year. I also had nodules, a goiter, and hashimoto disease. I was also very scared. I am so glad that I decided to have mine taken out. My Endo doc could not get mine regulated. I would go hypo then hyper. After my surgery, I had a sore throat for about a week. I did not have any pain with my incision. I still have some days were I feel weak, but nothing as bad compared to the way I was before the surgery. I am so glad that I had mine taken out. I have lost about 30lbs. I know that I could gain it back, but I am happy that I went through with the surgery. I am 35. Hope this helps and not confuse.

God Bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
(female)

jaczach HB User

Thank you so much - I needed an honest response to help me in feeling good with my decision.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

loretta38 HB User

Just had my thyroid removed due to Graves disease and they could not regulate mine - and it was causing heart and immunity problems. So March 29-I had a total thyroidectomy. The surgery is really easy to get through - yes you have a hard time swallowing - like when you first get up in the AM to get a drink - but after 2-3 days - you don't really notice it. I had some trouble with them regulating my Calcium levels and had a pretty scary day 5 days after the surgery - if you start getting cramps in your body or tingly feelings in your lips or fingers - let your doctor know right away. My calcium had dropped out - and I was really sick that day. My doctor was honest with me that it would take 3-6 months for me to get regulated on the replacement thyroid medicine. I am on synthroid 88mmg which I started taking on day 5 after my surgery. Feeling a little rough right now - but way better than before surgery - so it is worth it. I pray surgery goes as well for you - within 2-3 days you are pretty much back up to speed. I was driving - doing light housework - throat a little tender - but just eat softer foods. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out or if you have any questions after.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:31 AM   #5
(female)

jaczach HB User

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me!

Old 04-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
(female)

Tinkerbell16 HB User

I just had a TT too on Feb 28th. The surgery is very easy. My neck was sore, but I was feeling fine in 2-3 days.
I was hyper, had 2 small nodules. My endo was pushing the RAI.
I chose to have the surgery. It just seemed like the better option for me.
I go to my Dr today and will get results of my first labs since surgery.
I was very tired for a while, but that seems to be a little better. Weight gain is a big issue for me.I lost about 70 lbs 3 yrs ago and have kept it off.
I gained 10 lbs almost immediately after surgery. Of course I wasn't eating well either.
I've been doing a very strict low carb diet for about 3 weeks now, and only lost 1 lb. I'm hoping that will change when my levels are closer to "normal"

Old 04-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
(female)

mapgirl HB User

I had a total thyroidectomey in July of 2006. I had nodular Graves Disease with suspicious nodules that no amount of biopsy could determine whether or not there was cancer. (It turns out everything was benign. ) I was very scared prior to surgery. These boards didn't help very much because a lot of people on here are in bad shape. I was outside this afternoon taking a brisk walk and thought about this. Frankly a lot of people who are doing well post surgery and managing their disease with few problems may not be using these boards any more. So I decided to stop by....

As far as recovery I was back at work after 10 days and in less than a month I was hiking, mountain biking, and camping. As far as the dreaded weight gain, I have not gained any weight. I can't say I have lost weight but I'll keep exercising....

My voice has come back strong. I only took the prescribed pain meds for about 5 days post surgery.

I can't tell you what decision to make but if you do go through with the surgery, it doesn't have to be terrible.

Blessings to all.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi lve been using the boards for along time even before been diagnosed with graves.... it will be my 3 year anniversary of been dxn with graves next month although l know lve had it for a lot longer than 3 years lve led off surgery even though it was offered to me from my 2nd endo appnt because l was so scared l guess if l knew l would still be ill years later l might of been better off doing it years ago!. Like some of the others l have had lots of problems and l have been resistant to the drugs l finally agreed to see a surgeon in March. I know l am not going to get any better despite high doses of anti thyroid meds and using block and replace. So l know how scared you are honestly! Im waiting for the letter with the date dropping through my letter box and l can tell you when it does it will make me ill lol l am so scared too but when l see how good others feel its lifting my spirits. I think of all the things that can go wrong more than what can go right and lve even been having panic attacks at the thought of going in to getting it removed! really bad attacks l KNOW the letter is coming soon l have a 'feeling' Your not alone and lots of us understand exactly how you feel. I will be posting alot in the run up to my op because l know lm going to have myself round the bend lol and lm just going to read how good everyones doing but alot of people once there well disappear from the boards lm glad some stay good luck with everything thinking of you xx

Closed Thread