It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
(male)

lillalion HB User
hypothyroidism, visual problems, fatigue,

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, healthboards seem really amazing. Sorry if this is a bit long but please read till the end. I'm hypothyroid but my main problem is vision. I first noticed my vision suddenly changed about 4 years ago (was 17). Everything suddenly looked a bit different, a bit surreal as though my brain was slower to register things. Really hard to describe. It was after a few weeks when i'd been having pressures in my head, not real headaches but annoying. This stopped as my vision changed. I had a CT scan then which was clear and so was my eye check. I think i must have got used to it so it felt 'ok' until about 2 months ago. My symptoms got a lot worse. It happened after a few strenuous days (link?). My vision suddenly got a lot worse in the same respect - slower to register things in my brain and substantial fatigue. I see clearly although my eyes tired a lot quicker but think there must be something wrong with my brain. Some days are a little bit better some are worse but i feel very spacey, not lightheaded or dizzy though, and i think the are my eyes focus on is smaller with this problem. So i seem to visually perceive less. I've been dx with for hypothyroidism about 2 weeks ago, my tsh just slightly over the upper boundary. Have been given 50 levothyroxin but last 2 days have been a lot worse. Still very tired, more spaced out and also my limbs feel weaker. Had an eye check, clear, just an inflammation of glands in eye lids apparently nothing serious. My optician has found a slight astigmatism in my eyes but even with glasses the problem is still there. When i close my eyes and focus only on my hearing it also feels different, like when you're falling asleep and concentrate less..all is a bit surreal, distant. I'm also taking some B vitamin now and some brain pills to support brain activity but to no effect really. Almost forgot, have got a penetration in my left eardrum...any link to my head problems? Had some inner ear probs as a child.
Can anyone relate to any of this? It's terrible. Any comments, experiences ideas will be very much appreciated. Good luck to you all with health problems!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
(female)

Hoopa7p HB User
Re: hypothyroidism, visual problems, fatigue,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillalion View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, healthboards seem really amazing. Sorry if this is a bit long but please read till the end. I'm hypothyroid but my main problem is vision. I first noticed my vision suddenly changed about 4 years ago (was 17). Everything suddenly looked a bit different, a bit surreal as though my brain was slower to register things. Really hard to describe. It was after a few weeks when i'd been having pressures in my head, not real headaches but annoying. This stopped as my vision changed. I had a CT scan then which was clear and so was my eye check. I think i must have got used to it so it felt 'ok' until about 2 months ago. My symptoms got a lot worse. It happened after a few strenuous days (link?). My vision suddenly got a lot worse in the same respect - slower to register things in my brain and substantial fatigue. I see clearly although my eyes tired a lot quicker but think there must be something wrong with my brain. Some days are a little bit better some are worse but i feel very spacey, not lightheaded or dizzy though, and i think the are my eyes focus on is smaller with this problem. So i seem to visually perceive less. I've been dx with for hypothyroidism about 2 weeks ago, my tsh just slightly over the upper boundary. Have been given 50 levothyroxin but last 2 days have been a lot worse. Still very tired, more spaced out and also my limbs feel weaker. Had an eye check, clear, just an inflammation of glands in eye lids apparently nothing serious. My optician has found a slight astigmatism in my eyes but even with glasses the problem is still there. When i close my eyes and focus only on my hearing it also feels different, like when you're falling asleep and concentrate less..all is a bit surreal, distant. I'm also taking some B vitamin now and some brain pills to support brain activity but to no effect really. Almost forgot, have got a penetration in my left eardrum...any link to my head problems? Had some inner ear probs as a child.
Can anyone relate to any of this? It's terrible. Any comments, experiences ideas will be very much appreciated. Good luck to you all with health problems!
It could be a problem with your equilibrium which would stem from your ears. However; I was curious that you posted this. For a long time, my thyroid was borderline hypothyroid. Then last year my PCP did a blood test and found that I was actually hypothryoid but I had to stop the medication because I was feeling too many side effects. A few months later, I went to the eye doctor for a regular check up and he found a small catarac in each eye. About two months ago, the doctor insisted that I take synthroid because my TSH level was over 8. Now that I look back on it, I wonder if the cataracs are thyroid related.

Keep a check on everything. Hypothyroidism appears to do a lot of damage to the body.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
(male)

lillalion HB User

Hoopa, thanks so much for your reply. I think my equillibrium is fine, don't fall even with my eyes closed and according to my ear doctor my innear ear is fine although he does insist i should get a plastic surgery on the penetrated ear drum to close the ear so nothing can get in. But i think my ear drum got penetrated when water got in there about 2 years ago but i felt ok after until this february. Strange. I think the side effects of levothyroxin can be much worse and different from the packet info says. I'll keep taking it and see if it improves otherwise will have to stop. I've got exams coming..so hard to study
But do you feel better now or did the side effects come back? Anything done about your eyes? Good luck with everything, I'm sure we'll figure it out!

Old 04-28-2007, 04:06 AM   #4
(female)

darlindeb25 HB User

Very interesting. I have constant headaches, well, one headache that never stops, grows in intensity, but never goes away. My eyes get very dry and my optomitrist (who is also my boss ) tells me dry eyes are assosiciated with autoimmune diseases. My vision changes too, but then again, I AM OLD!!!! Well, incomparison to an 18 yr old, I am. I know my equillbrium is off. When someone is standing too close to me, I tip, or if the walls are too close, I tip. I'm not sure if that is because of my thyroid problems or my neuropathy. I think they are all connected and fighting among themselves as to who gets to aggravate me the most on any given day!!!!!

It's always good to know there are others with your same symptoms, makes it easier to deal with them.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I have also had inner ear issues. They seem to be better now that my thyroid meds have stabilized. Contsant pressure really was annoying. And I too had vision issues. Felt like I still have good vision but it took me awhile to focus on things. I was not too concerned about this as I read vision can be affected when hypo, so I thought once I was on meds long enough it would go away. Actually what helped me was B12. I began taking sublingual B12 (2500 mg per day) and after taking it the first night I woke up and my vision was EXCEPTIONALLY better. You can actually take up to twice what I was taking per day (it will not harm you, your body excretes any excess that it does not need). I began taking it for the pins and needles sensation and the improvement in my eyesight was just a bonus. Give the meds time to work. It should HELP your thinking and studying more than hurt. Although you may do better on a different brand.

Good Luck!

Old 04-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
(male)

lillalion HB User

Thanks a lot for your reply! I'm taking some b12 together with B1 and B6..i think you meant micrograms..i'm on 200...not much huh? you sure you're taking 2500?what is your thyroxine dose now and how long did it take you to stabilize the meds? I've been feeling rather worse since i started with levothyroxine...

Old 04-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
(female)

Hoopa7p HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlindeb25 View Post
Very interesting. I have constant headaches, well, one headache that never stops, grows in intensity, but never goes away. My eyes get very dry and my optomitrist (who is also my boss ) tells me dry eyes are assosiciated with autoimmune diseases. My vision changes too, but then again, I AM OLD!!!! Well, incomparison to an 18 yr old, I am. I know my equillbrium is off. When someone is standing too close to me, I tip, or if the walls are too close, I tip. I'm not sure if that is because of my thyroid problems or my neuropathy. I think they are all connected and fighting among themselves as to who gets to aggravate me the most on any given day!!!!!

It's always good to know there are others with your same symptoms, makes it easier to deal with them.

I read someplace that Thyroid problems can cause Carpal Tunnel syndrome. If that is true, then it can cause the foot equivalent which is Tarsal Tunnel syndrome. It is the exact same problem only in the feet and it can cause neuropathy in the feet.

Last edited by Hoopa7p; 04-28-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
(female)

darlindeb25 HB User

I read someplace that Thyroid problems can cause Carpal Tunnel syndrome.

Is very true, just as having Celiac Disease, it being an autoimmune disease, attacks the thyroid. Celiac Disease causes vitamin and mineral deficiencies, which is how I got the peripheral neuropathy. Carpal tunnel and tarsel tunnel is also neuropathy--so, I figure all of these are connected to each other in me. Aren't I lucky????

I too, take B12, 2400mcg daily and have been for 2 years now. I will probably have to take it for the rest of my life. It has helped slow the progression of my neuropathy and that's a plus. It takes a long time for B12 to repair things, you have to give it time.

I also have a very intense ringing in my ears--anyone else?

Celiac Disease--gluten free since 7/00
Peripheral Neuropathy--DX 10/05

Old 04-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
(female)

Hoopa7p HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillalion View Post
Hoopa, thanks so much for your reply. I think my equillibrium is fine, don't fall even with my eyes closed and according to my ear doctor my innear ear is fine although he does insist i should get a plastic surgery on the penetrated ear drum to close the ear so nothing can get in. But i think my ear drum got penetrated when water got in there about 2 years ago but i felt ok after until this february. Strange. I think the side effects of levothyroxin can be much worse and different from the packet info says. I'll keep taking it and see if it improves otherwise will have to stop. I've got exams coming..so hard to study
But do you feel better now or did the side effects come back? Anything done about your eyes? Good luck with everything, I'm sure we'll figure it out!

I feel better when I get a lot of sleep (7 or more hours). I occasionally feel some of the side effects such as a weird sensation in my forearms, a weird mild pressure headache that is hard to relieve and some minor focusing problems. Nothing like what I felt with the Levothyroxin. With that, my throat felt like I had a lump in it constantly. It was actually painful and scary. Before the doctor diagnosed me with a low functioning thyroid, I didn't even know that I wasn't well. However; I gained a lot of weight in the last few years and couldn't lose it and my heartbeat was irregular. But I never attributed these to my thyroid.

Last edited by Hoopa7p; 04-28-2007 at 06:00 PM.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

I have tried to explain similar phenomena to my bf and family. Until I started the levothyroxine, I could hardly keep my eyes on a page, I would scan, not read. I seemed not to be able to really focus, no matter how hard I tried, or how much coffee or sleep I had. It is like you are "seeing" i.e. physical vision, but not "seeing", i.e, mental processing of things in the field of vision. I often remarked it felt like I had a constant hangover...I don't know if you have had that special priviledge of a real life college hangover. The fatigue, brain fog factor is more like being on the road for hours and hours and being hyponotised so that your brain reacts with a long delay. The brain fog as omnipresent is gone since I started treatment, but still pretty bad on tired days. I respond slowly or cannot process conversations.

You will only find out the source of each symptom as you work on your various ailments including the thyroid. I think that, for instance, my fatigue is in part related to my as yet unbalanced thyroid levels, and in part to low iron and b12 and maybe adrenal fatigue. They can all be present in a person with thyroid disease, so just becasue your dr gives you a T4 supplement doesnt mean everything magically disappears overnight, at least not for some of us!

Old 04-29-2007, 02:24 AM   #11
(male)

lillalion HB User

Thanks a lot sparkles! I was just wondering if you started taking iron and b12 yourself or the dr. told you to...just don't want to start something without consulting it - am abroad now so cant talk to him. Btw what dose are you on with b12 and iron? I'm taking only 200mcg of b12 so probably not enough...also did you have any head checks like MRI CT? I have not so wanna do it soon.
Thanks!

Old 04-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

Oh. I did not notice you were in Prague.

I have written elsewhere on this board and the anemia board on the subjects, so you may want to do a search.

The short version:

B12 is safe to take in large doses, as it is excreted in the body. Sublingual preparations are best, research seems to indicate. I was taking a "mega" dose, which was a 5000mcg sublingual preparation. My friend who has celiac and had very low b12 takes 3000 mcg per day. My dr neither agreed nor disagreed with me taking the vit. My serum b12 was in the 200's. By traditional doctor standards it is "in range". But, studies seem to indicate that anything less than 500 should be treated. Most people have sucess with b12, but I did not respond, so I am going for IM shots of b12.

Iron is a different matter, since one must be a bit cautious about dosage and iron accumulation in the body. At regular supplement doses, 18mg is the RDA for women. If you are not iron deficient, it is recommended that one not take anything greater than the RDA. The standard measure for deficiency is serum ferritin, the amount of stored iron in the body.This is a refernce point used to gauge deficiceny/anemia and progress from supplementation. Some research says 16ng/ml is deficiency, some use a lower value. I am 18 (bottom of the range =9), so I am not technically deficient, but pretty close and with fatigue severe enough to warrant trying supplementation. I told my dr I was taking iron, and she said "ok". I have read on the anemia boards and elsewhere that 50 seems to be a good lower limit for ferritin.

So unless, you have an idea of your iron stores, I would not go for higher supplemetation. But, try the B12, you can do it yourself and do not need any supervision. Can't hurt to try

Closed Thread