It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

conleyjk HB User
Question about T3 uptake results

My daughter is 14 and has had menstrual problems for 2 years. A gyn doctor ordered a thyroid panel. Her first test was August 2005 and she was re-tested Jan. 2007.

TSH ( 0.55)
T4,total (7.5)
T3 uptake (40.8) Normal Range % 25.0 - 40.0
FTI- (7.6)
T4, free (0.92)

Both times times the t3 uptake was the same. Doctor said do re-test in 6 months. Now is she on Ortho Lo BCP to regulate cycle. As an after thought office called and suggested she go to an Endo for evaluation. Doctor refered me to an Endo that is 2 hours away. I am not sure this doctor knows about thyroid issues.

My question is that when she had these tests done both times she had been bleeding for about 6 weeks, can that alter the results? Also, now that she is on BCP, won't that affect further testing? Is an out of range T3 uptake enough to see an Endocrinologist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: Question about T3 uptake results

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleyjk View Post
My daughter is 14 and has had menstrual problems for 2 years. A gyn doctor ordered a thyroid panel. Her first test was August 2005 and she was re-tested Jan. 2007.

TSH ( 0.55)
T4,total (7.5)
T3 uptake (40.8) Normal Range % 25.0 - 40.0
FTI- (7.6)
T4, free (0.92)

Both times times the t3 uptake was the same. Doctor said do re-test in 6 months. Now is she on Ortho Lo BCP to regulate cycle. As an after thought office called and suggested she go to an Endo for evaluation. Doctor refered me to an Endo that is 2 hours away. I am not sure this doctor knows about thyroid issues.

My question is that when she had these tests done both times she had been bleeding for about 6 weeks, can that alter the results? Also, now that she is on BCP, won't that affect further testing? Is an out of range T3 uptake enough to see an Endocrinologist?
Can you give us the ranges for these tests. It would be very helpful as where in the range her levels fall makes a lot of difference.

The T3 uptake is a test that actually has nothing to do with her T3. It is a test that measures the binding protiens or the protiens that carry thyroid around in the blood stream. The FTI is a mathematical computation that used the T3 uptake and the T4 to tell how much free hormone is available. The measurement of the actual free levels are a bit more acurate as they tell how much of each the FT4 and FT3 is available.

Just looking at the tests without the lab ranges her FT4 looks low. If you can post the ranges we can tell how low.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

conleyjk HB User

The last test is as follows:

TSH (0.55 ) range 0.34- 5.60
T4, total (7.5 ) 4.50- 12.0
T3 Uptake (40.8 &#37 % 25.0- 40.0
FTI (7.6) 5.90- 13.1
T4 Free (0.92) 0.58- 1.64

I can not get the lab to tell me if this is adult range or the results are based on her age of 14 years.

I am concerned that if I have further tests the fact that she is now on BCP will not give a clear answer.

Last edited by conleyjk; 04-30-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleyjk View Post
The last test is as follows:

TSH (0.55 ) range 0.34- 5.60
T4, total (7.5 ) 4.50- 12.0
T3 Uptake (40.8 &#37 % 25.0- 40.0
FTI (7.6) 5.90- 13.1
T4 Free (0.92) 0.58- 1.64

I can not get the lab to tell me if this is adult range or the results are based on her age of 14 years.

I am concerned that if I have further tests the fact that she is now on BCP will not give a clear answer.

O.k. Though her TSH is very normal and looks very optimal the other levels are indicating there may be a problem. The dr is most likely looking only at the TSH and the fact that the other levels with exception of the T3 uptake are "in range".

The TSH is a pituitary response. So when other levels are off it does indicate that the TSH is not yet caught up to the problem and is showing all to be well. The FT4 is low in the range. This is where most people will experience hypo type symptoms. The Ft4 should be more at 1.11 and above. The FTI which is the calculation is above the mid range, but again it is a calculation and not as accurate or telling as the actual Ft4 and FT3 would be. The T4 total is also below mid range. This does indicate as well that the FT4 would be low, which it is.

I would suggest that you get antibody tesing done. She may have an autoimmune condition called hashi's. It is very common and treatable.

Does she have any other symptoms other than the problems with her cycle? Problems with the cycle are associated with thyroid problems, but there are many many other symptoms as well. Is she experiencing any others? There are many that you wouldn't even think are thyroid related but can be.

Last edited by dea4; 04-30-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

By the way, the BCP can affect the results.
Here's how from a previous post by another poster MEEP.... Higher levels of estrogen cause more binding of thyroid hormones to proteins in your blood. Since they are bound top proteins and not immediately available for your body to use, your need for thyroid hormones is greater.

If your need for thyroid hormones is greater, your TSH will be higher. Since TSH is what most doctors go by when diagnosing thyroid problems, this problem will show up on a lab test.

Even if your BCP doesn't contain estrogen, it CAN affect estrogen levels, theoretically, since it affects the balance of other hormones.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
(female)

conleyjk HB User

Thank you for the information. I have an appt this week with the Gyn doc to follow up on the BCP. My daughter has only been on them for 3 weeks. So far, she is responding well. I was originally told by the GYN that she wanted to keep her on them for 6 months. 2 days after she started the pills, the GYN office called and wanting to refer her to an ENDO.

I believe that if she stops the BCP her hormones will really go crazy. I have studied the HYPO and HYPER symptoms, and I CAN NOT readily see any that she may have. My question is now should I wait the 6 months or go to the ENDO right now?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think I'd go to the endo to see what they say. If she has no other symptoms and no antibodies then her low FT4 level may be optimal for her. Every person is different as to where in the lab range they feel best. Most people need the free levels to be at mid range or higher. Especially women.

The list of hypo/hyper symptoms is short compared to all the actual things it can cause. Indigestion and gastrointestinal problems can also be caused by the thyroid. Nausea, weakness, muscle aches, headaches, blood sugar problems, brain fog or trouble thinking can also be caused by the thyroid. If she has nothing bothering her other than the cycle problems then hopefully all is well. But I would check out the thyroid antibodies just in case.

Closed Thread