It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User
Low TSH and Thyroxine Free

I had a biopsy last Thursday, and it came back benign, whew! My doctor just wants to wait and redo the blood work in 3 weeks. I have my labs here from 04/11/07
and they read TSH .12 (0.34 – 5.60)
Thyroxine free .7 (.6 – 1.6)
Uric Acid 3.2 (2.6 – 6.0)

My doctor says if things go the way he thinks, my TSH will continue to drop, and my Thyroxine will drop too I think, but there goes my wonderful memory again, I can’t remember exactly what he said! I am 42 now and initially found my multi nodular goiter when I was 19, so my bet is in 3 weeks the blood work will come back normal. So frustrating!!!
Any ideas, comments? thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 02:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Low TSH and Thyroxine Free

Congratulations on the benign results!

Interesting labs. Are these type of labs typical for you? It's not often you see a low tsh with low end free t4. I gather they've been following the hormone levels over the years? Do you have any symptoms related to the thyroid other than the memory?

I wonder why he seems to think the tsh would drop further. It seems to me it should rise in an attempt to bring that t4 up. Curious if you've got any other medical problems going on?

I'm going thru a whacky labs period right now too. I agree. It's totally frustrating. I'd really be interested in hearing about your next set of results and what else is going on.

Helen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Those are rather odd. Usually if the TSH and Total T4 are low it can indicate a pituitary problem. This is on labs however that are done prior to any treatment.
My TSH and Free T4 can be low at the same time. This can happen when on treatment with thyroid meds and especially if on Armour which supresses the TSH. That's why its important to watch the FREE levels once on meds.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

Thanks for writing me back! Looking back to the last time I was abnormal, just my TSH was low, everything else was normal. I'll have to look around this weekend for paperwork from the actual past lab work.
I do have some mixed symptoms: Always cold, but night sweats, fatigue and insomnia, severe muscle pain in legs, and mid back, hair growing on chin (could be an age thing!) I quit smoking in Feburary and at first i thought a lot of this was from that.
Are either of you on medication, are you hyper or hypo?
Thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

I would have them check your pituitary gland if I had those test results. They will usually check a prolactin level and others to see if the pituitary is whacky. A CT scan of the pituitary can be done if the other lab tests come back suggesting a problem.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

keystone,

I'm hyper. Usually run high T's with normal TSH but sometimes they all fall in the normal range. They haven't figured it out and they've been looking 25 years. I take beta blockers.

"I do have some mixed symptoms: Always cold, but night sweats, fatigue and insomnia, severe muscle pain in legs, and mid back, hair growing on chin (could be an age thing!)"

I got everything but the hair.

I'd be interested in seeing your labs.

Helen

Old 05-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

I saw my Dr today and he agrees and if my labs in 2 weeks are unchaged he will have me get an MRI of my pituitary, and said we can add in a T-3 as well. I am not sure what they do if they find anything with the MRI. Does anyone else?
Thanks!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi keystone,

I keep looking at your posts and they're missing info that would make anything more than a guess possible.

First, the multinodular goiter. Was it toxic? Did you receive any treatment for it? Are you on any treatment now?

A T3 would be extremely helpful. So would a couple former labs.

The mri will look for any abnormality with the pituitary.

What you have posted so far, and the info is by no means adequate to make more than an educated guess. I'd say he's looking at the possibility of secondary hypothyroidism which is caused by a failure of the pituitary gland.

Treatment for that is to replace the deficient thyroid hormone. Levothyroxine is the most commonly used medication.

Take care,
Helen

Last edited by accessn12; 05-08-2007 at 02:38 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 AM   #9
(female)

cougars HB User

Hi,

I am no expert and am rather new to this myself. A few months ago, one of my lab tests showed a low end TSH and low end Free T4. BUT, the Free T3 was high end. Since then, my TSH has stayed low end and my free T4 and T3 have been mid to high end of "normal". Anyway, has your free T3 been tested? I have read here some people convert (almost too) well from T4 to T3 and you could have higher Free T3 reading. Then, it might not be good if you take T3 meds?

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi cougars,

By any chance, when you had that odd test run, were you or had you been sick? I've been reading a lot lately about non-thyroidal illness and the affects it has on the labs and it appears that any illness can lower the FT4 temporarily. Severe illness can lower both FT4 and FT3.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #11
(female)

cougars HB User

Hi Helen,

Nope, not that I can remember. The doc didn't seem concerned either. My Free T4 wasn't out of range either. I believe there are a couple other people I have read about on this board who had a low normal Free T4 and a high normal Free T3 and I think they got diagnosed with T3 toxicosis. I have read that some people just convert too efficiently to T3. Don't know if that is true or not. Then, again I have Hashi's and that is supposed to send you up and down anyhow, right? So, maybe that was why the low normal Free T4.

Hope you are feeling better!

Old 05-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

My Dr said that when we re do the blood work in 2 weeks he will do a T3 then, I don't think I have ever had one before. I am currently not taking anything, but in 2000 I did take synthroid for a short time and since then nothing, but my blood work is always "normal" I am very interested to see what the next round of blood work shows! Thanks for all your info!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

I thought I would let you know that I was retested last week my tsh .10
Thyroxine Free .8
and my T 3 was "normal"
Not sure what normal is, as I don't have a copy of it myself yet, the Doctor is sending me for a MRI of my pituitary gland Thursday and I see and Endocrinologist at the end of July.
Thanks

Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi keystone,

The tsh is low by any lab standard. However, it's impossible to see where the ft4 is sitting without the lab ranges. When you get a copy of the report, post the results along with the ranges so that they can be interpreted. Get your hands on a copy of the mri report too. It would be very interesting to see what it says.

Good luck with the mri on thursday. Let us know how everything goes.

Helen

Old 05-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

Helen,

I am so sorry! I knew better than to post without the ranges, I had them from before, they are TSh .10 (0.34 – 5.60)
Thyroxine free 8 (.6 – 1.6)
sorry about that!

Last edited by keystone206; 05-29-2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: mistake

Closed Thread