It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
(female)

Kezzalou HB User
Sore Tongue!

Hiya

Just curious to know if anyone else ever suffers from a sore tongue? I seem to get this on and off, it is painful and annoying!

I kind of thought it was caused by low iron and B12 originally. My levels are better now but I still suffer from this (although not as frequently)

All my other symptoms could be caused by my under-active thyroid but I've not heard anyone mention tongue problems!!

Any help would be appreciated

Old 05-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User
Re: Sore Tongue!

I do not suffer from this, however, from being on the anemia boards and reading about b12 deficiency, there is a connection. Of course, it could be caused by other things as well.

When you say your b12 is fine, what do you mean? There is a wide range of opinion out there in the medical lit and practice about a good range. Serum b12 under 500 is treatable, I heard from another poster here (can't remember) that she is treated under 800. Some people can have seeming adequate blood levels of b12 from supplementing, but have some problem in utlization. There is a whole body of info on the web on how IM shots of b12 seem to work for some people better than supplementation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

I don't know about painful tongue as a symptom of problems with thyroid but, a swollen tongue can definetly and usually is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Most people that get the swollen tongue symptom will also have ridges/teeth marks on the sides of tongue.

Swollen tongue was one of my first symptoms. Whenever that starts up for me it's always a sure sign that my levels are all out of whack again. It subsides when doc adjusts my dosage up some.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
(female)

Kezzalou HB User

Thanks guys for your replies

I don't know that my tongue feels swollen but sometimes it just feels a bit rough and weird! I've heard about teeth marks but thought it was to do with some defficiency.

My B12 was at 282 at my lowest reading which as you said anything under 500 can be considered low. I read up about it but as you can imagine my doctor and consultant were not interested and said it was fine. I brought some B12 sublingual supplements in the Methyl kind that is supposed to be absorbed easier. My levels went right up to about 900 and was told to stop taking them! I still take them but less often. They would not test to see if I had an absorption problem so I will never know.

I'm kind of worried what else would cause a sore tongue now!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:37 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

Well, my b12 was in the 200s then a few years ago after supplementing orally, 400s. I had a few IM shots in my life (back when drs probably wanted to "solve" my fatigue problem, without diagnosis or real long-term treatment). I have to say, on these occasion I felt an effect. On one occastion in particular. I felt great, with a profound sense of "well-being", of course, I thought i was imagining it, since drs had basically convinced me that all my symptoms were in my head...until I was diagnosed as hypo last year. From supplementing, my serum b12 was 1800. Dr and NP said no problem being high, to be expected if you are supplementing. However, no matter how much oral b12 I take, I don't get that energy, or sense of well being. I understand now from researching, that some people do better with b12 shots - has something to do with utilization or metabolism......

Yeah, it is too bad after supplementing, there is really no way to "prove" you are deficient, even with "normal" serum b12 levels. Can you find an "alternative" dr and ask for a trial of b12 shots without any "proof"?

I did look it up, and other causes of burning tongue are yeast infection, medications related, endocrine related (diabetes and hypo), dentures, other nutritional deficienccies, including iron, zinc, b-9, b-1, b-2, allergies, reflux,
postmeopausal hormone imbalances. The most common cause is the yeast infection. I would see the dr just to exclude this first and work on paring down the # of possibilities.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 AM   #6
(female)

Kezzalou HB User

Aww thanks for being helpful and looking all that up for me!

It's interesting that you read it could be endocrine related - I must admit I haven't seen that suggested before. I'd only read about the Iron & other nutritional defficienccies. I've had it for about a year so I'm not sure about yeast infection but I will look into it!

I get loads of weird stuff happening on and off, tingling, numbness, aches & pains. I always feel tired and it is making me feel depressed.

Wow your B12 was really high at 1800! I read it is okay to keep taking as you don't store this like Iron, I now take 1000mg every couple of days. My symptoms are not as bad as when I was in the 200's. I had severe tingling, dizziness and just felt horrible!

How come your B12 was low? Do you have a problem absorbing? I'm going back to see a neurologist, I willl try again to persuade him to test the intrisic factor to see if I do have a problem.

My TSH levels have been all over the place - I thought they would improve as I recently went back to my "old" level of meds which is 125mg (they tried me on 150 for a few months and it went too low) My TSH is now 0.03 and they have told me this is fine! The range is 0.35 - 4.94 so I don't think I can trust their opinion!

Thanks again for your help

Old 05-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

When I got my serum b12 results I nearly freaked out. But the dr and from what I read on the internet seems to say it is fine. Yep, iron is the one to watch if you are supplemting that you don't overdo it.

A major presentation of b12 deficicency is tingling in extremties (neuropathy). When you speak to your neurologist, ask him about this.

Mine, I don't know. I am stuck in the bad healthcare syndrome. It took me YEARS to get the thyroid diagnosis. You know how it is. So, it is either familial, my father, sister and grandmother all have/had pernicious anemia. However, my PCP tells me if my b12 elevates, I don't. But, then I read about all sorts of utilization/metabolism issues can also exist, tho I don't know if they can test for it. Or, it could be celiac, which I will get around to having the test for. Or, it could have been exacerbated by the endocrine issue, which does have a connection with both micro and macro cytic anemias.

It is hard to get a dr who will give a trial of IM shots, when the newest literature says sublingual is just as effective. oh well.

With reagrd to the other tests, it is straight out of my pocket. Same old, it is in you head treatment, the same way I was treated when I expressed my hypo related symptoms over the years.

But, I will sort it all out, hopefully soon. Thank god for the lab tests one can order online!

Yep, the site I read, from a well-known medical clinic, listed the buring tongue, mouth as being possibly caysed by endocrinological factors. I don't know any more specifics. However, given your neuropathy, I would give b12 a deeper look first.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
(female)

Kezzalou HB User

Thanks Sparkles for you help. I'm seeing a neurologist in a couple of weeks so I will mention the B12 situation again and see what he says...

I have started taking more of the B12 in case this is the problem. My thyroid is all over the place at the mo though - my levels just keep getting lower even though I have decreased my medication !

I think you are right and it is easier just to pay for tests yourself, I'll look into this also!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
(male)

enigmatics HB User

All the docs I've spoken to completely dismissed my swollen tongue and the ridges were blatant too.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatics View Post
All the docs I've spoken to completely dismissed my swollen tongue and the ridges were blatant too.
My doc didn't dismiss my swollen tongue symptom but I could tell she wasn't necessarily buying that it was thyroid related either. I was convinced when it went away within a month of being put on medication. I'd had it for over a year and wasn't diagnosed. My ridges were blatant also. I had to all but fall on my face before I was properly diagnosed.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
(male)

enigmatics HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_Ann View Post
My doc didn't dismiss my swollen tongue symptom but I could tell she wasn't necessarily buying that it was thyroid related either. I was convinced when it went away within a month of being put on medication. I'd had it for over a year and wasn't diagnosed. My ridges were blatant also. I had to all but fall on my face before I was properly diagnosed.
I'm getting close to that. I swear my heart beat is feeling more and more awkward by the day. The anxiety is out of control. My feet are killing me. I'm having severe depressive episodes. And when I'm not at work, I'm hiding in my bedroom because I don't have energy to do anything.

Closed Thread