It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Tamsin HB User
30 Min Vs. 1 hour Before Meal? Any Difference?

I'm very sensitive to my dosage (.125) and I just started to be able to take my dosage on an empty stomach before breakfast (after 5 months at this dose). Does anyone notice a greater effect when waiting an hour before eating versus thirty minutes? I'm just now at 30 minutes and I am experience some shakiness/heart paps, but I think that will pass. Should I try to work up to waiting an hour, or will it make any difference?

TIA

Last edited by Tamsin; 05-08-2007 at 06:49 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: 30 Min Vs. 1 hour Before Meal? Any Difference?

I have never tried taking my med less than an hour before eating, so I can't give you a comparison.

Some of us awaken an hour or so before we actually get up, take the med and then fall back asleep. I find this works for me. If I wait until I get up, it is hard to wait an hour for my coffee. I would have to do that because I have a little skim milk and Splenda in my coffee.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

I do like Erin Beth. My body just seems to wake up on it's own around 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. - I take my med then and go back to sleep for another hour. Some people on the board also take theirs at night. Eating too soon before or after taking it can seriously affect the absorption of it. Meaning you may not be getting the full benefit of your dosage by doing that.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 05-09-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

loretta38 HB User

If you read on the dosage package it says to wait 30 minutes on an empty stomach. So - I asked my doctor and he said an hour. Makes you wonder who is right. I know this may sound silly - but I am a person who will literally forget to eat all day. I just don't get hungry like most do. I guess lucky me - but then at around two or three I will start to get a headache and think - wow - guess I need to eat something. I don't know why I am that way - my friends all envy me - but - I think it has to do with growing up so poor - we hardly had any food in the house - let alone junk food. I never eat junk food - chips - candy - If I eat anything - I will bake something and eat it. Maybe I am that way. But to answer your question since I got off the subject - I don't know if it matters much. Package says 30 minutes - my doc said an hour. So who knows?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Tamsin HB User

Thanks for all of your replies.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
(female)

jenn3 HB User

I also take mine around 6:00 am and then go back to sleep and then when i get up i can have my coffee!!
jennifer

Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
(female)

June Tyson HB User

Tamsin, I've had TT and they found papillary cancer and I've been on Levoxyl for almost 8 months and I know to take in the A.M. on empty stomach 30 min to hour before eating. I've been doing fine, but I do have coffee right after I take the pill as I did not know coffee was wrong -- liquid. I drink decafe and a little coffemate and raw sugar. Should I discuss this with Endo, as I have no problems and my blood work is always where it should be. What's everyone's opinion on this. Maybe I should take early and go back to sleep also.

June

Old 05-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Hey, I think midwest1 drinks coffee with a non-dairy creamer first thing in the morning, also takes her pill then. I got the impression the coffee and non-dairy creamer is ok, but my milk might cause absorption problems.

The key would be to do the same thing every day, but you'll likely need a higher dose if you don't wait before taking food. If your doctor is willing to increase the dose to accomodate, I'm not sure there is a real problem.

Closed Thread