Hi everyone! I am back from St. Thomas hospital in Nashville and I have some answers finally. I have a multinodule goiter.
As reads: There are mulitple thyroid nodules associated with both thyroid lobes. The largest nodule involves the left lower thyroid gland measures 2.8 x 1.7 x2.6cm. in size. There are several smaller nodules in the let upper thyroid gland, which measures 4 to 7mm in size.
The largest nodule on the righ tis a predominantly cstic nodule. There are multiple small 2 to 9-mm nodules in the right upper an dmid thyroid lobe. There is an echogenic nodule in the thyroid isthmus, which measures 1.8 x 1.5 x 1.7 cm.
Tons of labs but of importance
TSH 0.043 mclU/ml
Total T3 170 ng/dl
Total T3 170
So the verdict is I am having Radioactive Iodine Treatment. The doctor gave me options. First being medication. Second being the Radioactive Iodine and third being taking the tyroid out. I chose the Iodine treatment. I hope I am doing the right thing.
I posted here a couple of weeks ago and go several responses that helped me a great deal. So happy to have found you all. Now, if anyone needs me I will have had my experience and can maybe help someone or answer their questions.
Poplar - hello from a Missourian - Please truly educate yourself on RAI - endo's push for that - say you just take a pill and it is over - but it really is not - SO many people wish they would have never done the RAI - so all I ask is that you TRULY educate yourself on what the outcome is - how long it takes - if multiple treatments are involved - There is just a lot to consider. I too had the choice and had mine surgically removed. Just think about it all.
Good luck with whatever decision you do make.
Hello..........I am over in Arkansas but work in Tennessee...........
I also have a multi nodular goiter..........with all kinds of nodules...........solid, mixed component, large and small............LOL assorted nodules........ I can laugh now but at first I was really freaked out and upset........
I am just watching mine and taking medication........ I get an ultrasound every 8 to 12 weeks and if they get too big or cause problems I will have to have part of it out.......... I want to try and keep my thyroid..........
May I ask why you chose the RAI? Are you having symptoms? What sent you to the Doctor......
Let us know what you decide..... and good luck................ Oleander
Well, the way he described it. He gave 3 options. One medication, second the RAI and third have my thyroid took out. The RAI just sounded easier to me. I don't want to have surgery, I don't think.He did make it seem like it would be a walk in the park.
So glad you got an answer. It's now time to really educate yourself since you now have a real diagnosis and can now learn about what it is you really have. There's pros and cons to all three methods of treatment.
Two of your options are permanent. Once you have had your thyroid removed or destroyed by RAI, you'll never be able to change your mind again. You will most likely become hypo and will remain so for the rest of your life. A lot of people do very well with replacement thyroid meds taken on a daily basis, others do not and spend a great deal of time trying to adjust to them. It's not to say that one of those options wouldn't be the ideal solution for you but it's something that you need to think about and make an informed decision on.
If you have any doubts whatsoever, meds can almost always tide you over until you feel comfortable with a choice. It's the only option that has been given to you that you can later change your mind on. Sometimes, they can be a very effective treatment too.
Ask questions, read and make sure you fully understand your options. That way, you are more likely to come out on top and be the one who's going to take the walk in the park.
The RAI is NOT a walk in the park. Sorry Sweetie - once I got truly educated on it and heard from so many that it did not work on - and had to go back for second and third tries - it wasn't what the endo's lead one to believe.
I had Graves disease - or have it- always will carry the antibodies - anyway - I could not take the meds to regulate the hyperthyroidism until it went into remission - which is often what happens with Graves.
So my first endo-and second and third endo - all had this set up - ten days and I would do the RAI - "Walk in the Park" - I too was told that. Then I did some serious investigations - and found that it was NOT what these doctors had led me to believe. For a person with Graves - it is not an option. I don't think you said you have Graves - but you do know the risks - right?
You know that you can't be around any small children for a set amount of time or they can be likely to get cancer.
If you ever opt to get pregnant - I don't know your age - you will have to take a certain type of medicine.
Once you take that pill - they do a scan to see if your thyroid has absorbed it - well - that is great - it can take 3-6 months to truly destroy/kill off your thyroid. That whole time - your thyroid can still be producing hormones of it's own - while they are doing replacement therapy on you - It makes it more of a challenge to get your dosage right - at least for a year.
Sometimes - the pill doesn't work - and you have to do it again - and if that doesn't work - you have to do it again.
Just read somewhere - they believe that there is an increase in the risk of cancer for people who do that treatment - seen more women have breast cancer - than others.
These are just a few things that fly off the top of my head - but I have read so many people say - "It was the biggest mistake I ever made" - so truly - I mean truly educate yourself about this.
You have options - I only had two and when it came down to it - I only had one and if I were you - I would only consider two of them myself - meds or surgery.
Just friendly input - you will choose to do what you want - and I will back you and support your decision - and wish you all the best - but truly educate yourself on this.
I was also recently diagnosed with severe hyperthyroidism with nodules. My GP and the endo only gave me one choice: surgery. RAI was never even mentioned as an option. I am pretty new to this whole thing and have been reading whatever I can find on hyperthyroidism. I discussed with my doctor in my situation I don't believe I always have been hyper as I have a hard time losing weight. She said with nodules the thyroid behaves unpredictably - can fluctuate between hypo, hyper, and healthy which is another reason it has to go.
Not sure if myself or anyone else recommended Thyroid for Dummies? It is a great book . Lot's of good information in the book...
I cannot tell you enough to educate yourself....... know your options......... Know you stats too............ Thyroid cancer is slow growing... what are the side effects of the RAI? Learn it all............
I went to 4 Doctors and got 4 opinions........ 2 wanted surgery and RAI , one partial TT and one said wait and watch...........I am waiting and watching and taking Armour.......... I have no promises but at this time I do not have to rush into a major surgery.........
The hardest thing you will find will be the decision will be put in your lap....So know your facts............... Hope this helps..........Oleander
No, never even mentioned a fine need biopsy. He said he don't believe it is cancer because my pituatary gland is producing TSH but because of the hot nodule my thyroid don't know what to do with it. He has a reputation of being a very good endo doctor BUT I am very afraid of doing this.
If I do I think I am taking a 2 week trip afterward to Florida alone. Close to my best friend but not close where I will see her. Just if something goes wrong I can call her. I am afraid to be around my family if I do RAI. I have two grandchildren I won't be able to see. I have a 18 year old at home. The husband, oh well....he can sleep on the couch .
Most likely cause multiple nodules are almost never cancer. Neither are hot nodules and their appearance on the ultrasound didn't raise a red flag. The largest nodule being cystic also pretty much rules out cancer there. Not all nodules require fna.