It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
Left hand, fingers, arm numbness/pin/needles

I haven't posted in ages, because I have been SOOOO sick. Barely functioning. However, I've been feeling better in these past couple of weeks than I have in 20 years. Still nowhere near how good I felt before I got sick with Hashi's, Chronic Fatigue/Fibromyalgia, but better than I did the last 6 years or so.

I'm taking a rather high dose of Armour Thyroid - around 360mg/day, but am not feeling any of the hyper signs my doc told me to watch out for - shaking, sweating, rapid pulse, etc. However, I am beginning to get some numbness and tingling in just the left fingers (just the ring and little finger), as well as the lateral portion of my arm and hand.

My regular doctor says it must be that I'm taking too much thyroid hormone, but the doc who has me on the Armour says my dose is fine (He doesn't know yet about the numbness/tingling).

Anyway, I thought numbness/tingling was a hypo symptom. Can it also be a sign of too much hormone? I hate to cut back my dose, since I am starting (after 4 years of playing with the dose) to feel good, and if I go much lower, my muscles start to cramp, spasm, and charlie horse.

Have any of you had this problem? Is numbness/tingling a sign of too much thyroid hormone? If so, why in just the left hand and arm?

Thanks!

Ora

Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
(female)

tawnyjade HB User
Re: Left hand, fingers, arm numbness/pin/needles

Hi Ora,
I also am Hypo with ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia. So strange I read your post this morning. I woke up with my left hand, mostly the back of my hand, with the numbness and pins and needles. Weird, huh?
With all the things that get confused with ME/CFS and FM, I am definitely adding it to my list of things to tell the doctor next week when I see her.
With your high dose of Armour, I would call the doctor ASAP, just to be absolutely sure you are not being hurt by it. Ask the pharmacist, also. They are so smart!
Let us know.
Tawny

Last edited by tawnyjade; 05-16-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
(female)

xanthia HB User

It could be a calcium issue as well. Try eating some calcium enriched tums or some of those chews for a few days. I would definetely talk to my doctor about it.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

That kind of numbness and tingling can also be caused by a B12 deficiency...even a borderline deficiency can cause that. Both my mom and I have had good success with supplementing with the methylcobalamin form of B12 in relieving the numbness and tingling. You might try it...there is no harm in supplementing B12 even if you are not deficient, so say many medical sites, and you will find out if there is an effect.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Wow! Thanks for the replies, all of you. It is frustrating to have these strange symptoms, and not know if it is hormonal or something serious, like a stroke.

I sometimes get numbness/tingling in my fingers when my Ca is low, and so I generally take two Caltrates - about 1200mg - and it goes away. Since my TT in August last year, I've taken the Caltrate every day. And, my Ca was checked by my doc - it is fine.

The B12 is interesting. I was taking a B-supplement, and ran out the other day, so haven't had the supplement for 4 or 5 days. And, right after that, the numbness came on... Maybe they are related. I'll get some more at the store and will let you know if the numbness goes away.

My doc wrote a script for some PT, and some water-therapy. I have such a problem with my muscles that I wonder, too, if it isn't just a muscle spasming somewhere that is pinching off the nerves.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I will let you know if I find anything out.

Ora

Old 05-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

As thyroid hormone levels become optimized, all sorts of body processes speed up, utilizing nutrients at a higher-than-previously-used rate. That applies to both vitamins & minerals. B12 is a miracle worker, and both B12 & Ca are necessary for life. Have you considered a trial of magnesium? Often helpful for muscle spasms & pain; it's a mineral many Americans are deficient in to start with, and one that's critical for numerous biochem reactions in the body.

I trust you are keeping an eye on your free thyroid hormone levels. I'd want to do that, esp. when suppl. on the high end.

Good to hear from you, OeL. Sounds like you're glimpsing a light at the end of this nasty dark tunnel you've been in for years.

Best wishes.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Ora- Hi! All the vitamin suggestions sound good. But, I have heard repeatedly from various sources that when there is tingling, numbness sensations on one side- let your dr. know immediately! What's the harm?
Good luck.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
Ora- Hi! All the vitamin suggestions sound good. But, I have heard repeatedly from various sources that when there is tingling, numbness sensations on one side- let your dr. know immediately! What's the harm?
Good luck.
I will second that...and it also occurred to me that the tingling and numbness on the lateral side could also be due to carpal tunnel...I am assuming that is why you were prescribed PT?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

elmhar - SO good to hear from you! Gosh, it has been so long time since I last posted, I'm just realizing how much I've missed everyone here. You, in particular, have always been so helpful.

It makes sense what you said about our bodies utilizing more nutrients. 5 years ago, my B12 level was very high. Ditto my Ca, folate, Mg. Now, when my doc tests me, I'm low normal on everything, even with supplementation. Sometimes I feel like my body has gone so long without enough thyroid hormone and now that I am finally getting some, my body is sucking everything up like a plant that hasn't seen water in weeks.

I had my free's done 6 weeks ago - and they were barely in mid-range. At the time, I was taking 300mg Armour, and my doc told me to increase to 360mg. to get up to the top of the range. I was so sure that at 300mg I would be way above normal, and was shocked that I was barely in mid-range. I can't imagine why such a high dose would not put me above normal range - unless it was because I had started smoking again. Or, I had a bad batch of Armour! Or, my body needs a lot of hormone.

I quit smoking again about a month ago - I had started up in December, and quit again in April. It was just a temporary insanity thing - I felt like "What does it matter, since I'm always so sick?" I'm even wondering if the numbness/tingling might be a weird reaction to my quitting smoking.

Even with the increased amount of Armour, I still have so many hypo symptoms - constipation, dry skin, fatigue, weight gain, muscle/joint pain, brain fog, water retention. It's so frustrating!!!

Osteoblast and bookishmamma - I soooo appreciate your kindness and concern! I love this board - it's as much like family as anything I've known away from cyberspace! Yes, the fact that the numbness was on one side was worrisome, so my friends talked me into going to the ER, which I did. They ruled out stroke, heart disease, and brain tumors, which makes me feel better. But now I'm stuck with a big ER bill, no answers, and still have the numbness.

That's one of the frustrating things, as most of us know, about thyroid disease. We sometimes end up in the ER, only to hear "can't find anything wrong." How does one ever learn to discern between what is life threatening, and what is just plain old thyroid disease? Add Chronic Fatigue/Fibromyalgia to that, and you get even MORE trips to the ER.

Yes, my doc is sending me for PT because she thinks it could be "Ulnar tunnel" - which is like carpal tunnel, but is more on the lateral side - or a pinched nerve in my back/neck/shoulder. Since I have pain all over, and muslce splasms all the time, that's a good possibility.

Anyway, I got some B-complex vitamins and took one. Might be a coincindence, but the numbness/tingling is better. Much better.

Thanks again, so much!

Love and Prayers,
Ora

Old 05-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookishmomma View Post
That kind of numbness and tingling can also be caused by a B12 deficiency...even a borderline deficiency can cause that. Both my mom and I have had good success with supplementing with the methylcobalamin form of B12 in relieving the numbness and tingling. You might try it...there is no harm in supplementing B12 even if you are not deficient, so say many medical sites, and you will find out if there is an effect.
Okay, just wanted to let you all know that I've been on the B-complex now for awhile, and the numbness has gone away!! Since the numbness/tingling seemed to come shortly after I quit taking a B-complex, and now that I'm back on a B-complex, it's probable that it was a deficiency.

Unfortunately, now my bottom burns!! Honestly, if feels like fire coming out when I have a BM There seems to be a link with the B-complex there, too, since that was one of the reasons that I quit taking the B in the first place! And, the burning stopped when I quit the B.

Should I try another brand? Any suggestions?

Thanks, and have a great weekend,

Ora

Old 05-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hello,

I am on 2 1/2 Grains of Armour.......it is not uncommon to see 4 Grains being given out and even sometimes up to 5 Grain. My brother is a retail Pharmacist and I asked him when they started moving me up on my Armour....and I do need to be moved upward.......

Tingling of the arms and numbness can be a neck or back problem and can be from a nerve in your arms/elbow area...........It can be from a lack of Calcium or B12 also......................

opps I just read the link below and it looks like you figured it out..........

Best of Luck. Oleander

Old 05-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
(female)

3sweeties2005 HB User

When my TSH bottomed out to 0.11 I was having sporadic pin/needle type sensations in a few of my fingers, it was weird the ends of my some of my fingers would blanch white and go numb. This was a symptom of hyper for me.

A.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:35 AM   #13
(male)

JAKE9364 HB User

Have you ever heard of Cubital Tunnel Syndrome? It is similar to carpal, but cubital effects the ring finger and little finger, as well as loss of strenght in your fingers and hand. Try to cross your index and middle finger on affected hand, if you cannot do this you may have cubital.
I have these symptons and had a MRI by my Chiropractor, she stated that it is bulging disks not cubital, however, my PCP says it is cubital! So my pcp is sending me to a pain Mgmt Dr. for testing. I am 99& sure that I have pinched nerves in my neck and the ulnar nerve in my left elbow that is the cause of Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. Just thought I pass this along.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraEtLabora View Post
Okay, just wanted to let you all know that I've been on the B-complex now for awhile, and the numbness has gone away!! Since the numbness/tingling seemed to come shortly after I quit taking a B-complex, and now that I'm back on a B-complex, it's probable that it was a deficiency.

Unfortunately, now my bottom burns!! Honestly, if feels like fire coming out when I have a BM There seems to be a link with the B-complex there, too, since that was one of the reasons that I quit taking the B in the first place! And, the burning stopped when I quit the B.

Should I try another brand? Any suggestions?

Thanks, and have a great weekend,

Ora
That's great! That is exactly what happened for my mom. (Except she didn't mention the buns of fire, so I don't know... ). Anyway, what I take is not a full B complex, it just has biotin, folate, and B6 in addition to the B12, but the form of B12 in it is the most active (methylcobalamin), that is immediately used by the nervous system. It's made by a company called Wonderlabs, and it's pretty cheap. I have not seen it in stores, just online. I don't have any digestive issues with it. But I don't know if you are wanting a more complete B vitamin...

Old 06-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
(male)

david45249 HB User

You might check to make sure you don't have MS. A lot of the symptoms are similar to hypo with the additon of the numbness and tingling.

Closed Thread