It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

littlemama1016 HB User
Hives and Thyroid

I'm new here and looking for some help! My husband was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism after having SEVERE hives for almost 3 months. He has been taking levothyroxin (sp?) as well as Zyrtec, Allegra and Benadryl as needed. He is getting a biopsy at the end of June to see what the irregularity is on his thyroid. I'm curious if anyone out there has had experience with hives and if so, how long did the hives last before the thyroid was under control? What other symptoms could cause this length of hives? I'm open to any and all suggestions anyone can give me. Thanks!!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User
Re: Hives and Thyroid

Hi littlemama1016. I'm also new here. I don't have the exact experience with hives that you mentioned in your post, but I have had hives in the past and I know they are unpleasant. I think mine were partially stress and partially medicine induced - but that's not the point I was going to make. This story is going to seem kind of long, but bear with me, I have a point to make:

In January (before I found out about my Hashimoto's and hypothyroid condition) I had a minor surgery to remove a pilar cyst from my scalp. This involved three shots of local anesthetic (Lidocane with Epinephrine) to which I had an instant unpleasant response...heart racing, mind racing, felt like I was going to jump, fall or fly off the operating table. The hour long surgery went well and shortly afterward I started breaking out in an itchy rash (not big hives, like I've had in the past) all over my neck and chest. It went away shortly after that, but was unexpected, unpleasant and unexplained. The cyst removal was so painful and unpleasant. I was on Rx pain meds for 2 days because the acetaminophin wasn't enough. It was easily 3 weeks before I started feeling like I could resume normal activities without scalp pain and pressure.

Then in March, I found out I have Hashimoto's. My TSH was 13.78, my Tpo antibodies were greater than 1000. I started generic levothyroxine at 25 mcg and then went to Levoxyl at 75 mcg.

In May I went back for another surgery to remove a second pilar cyst from my scalp. Keep in mind I had been on thyroid med's for 38 days by this time. The second cyst was the same size as the first one, about an inch away from where the first cyst had been. I had the same surgeon, same nurse, same office, same operating room and the same anesthetic medication. This time I had no reaction to the three shots of Lidocane with Epi. The hour long surgery went well and I had no itchy rash afterward. I was easily healing after about 2 days. I never needed the pain medicine this time - not even the Tylenol, and I was completely back to my normal activities within 4 or 5 days. When I went back 2 weeks later to have the stitches removed, even the nurse remarked about how well this one was healing. It wasn't just that I had experienced it all before and knew what to expect. It was completely different, better and easier than the first surgery.

Based on my experience, I feel that when my thyroid hormone levels are "off", my entire system is unable to readily and easily heal itself from whatever is ailing it. I think the same may be true for your husband. And, if he has autoimmune thyroiditis, his allergies that are causing the hives might be abated with continued thyroid therapy.

Keep in mind, I'm not a doctor, not in the medical field at all. I'm just sharing my experiences and opinions here. Best wishes to both of you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

littlemama1016 HB User

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to hear about what you have gone through. We are just going down a new path and just waiting to hear after he gets his biopsy. Apparently, his thyroid is irregular, in the I guess it's supposed to be 1 piece and his is kind of broken up in multiple pieces. He is so nervous and does not handle stress well. The allergist we saw before the endo said his hives were definitely not caused by stress and that docs who diagnose hives due to stress are just lacking in their capabilites to look into them further. Oh well, to each his own, right? Good luck to you and keep me posted on your progress! Thanks again!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Uticaria (medical term for hives) is a less common symptom of hypothyroidism, but it is associated with thyroid disorders. I was diagnosed hypothyroid about 5 years ago. I had a nasty case of hives about 6 months prior to my thyroid diagnosis. I went to my regular doctor for the hives, he just put me on Zertec and said it would go away with time. A month later there was still no relief and I was so miserable that I went to my dermatologist. He put me on prednisone and gave me pills for the itching. He did not diagnose me as hypothyroid as he was looking at it from a dermalogical perspective, as I was too at the time. Both myself and my dermatologist thought it was just a bad allergic reaction. Since then, looking back, I am fairly certain it was from my thyroid problems that were not yet diagnosed. Fortunately the prednisone did the trick and the hives were relieved, they did not come back and I was soon on thyroid medication. I have not had a problem with hives since then. I guess I will never know what the hive problem really was, thyroid or allergy, but it sure seems to me that my thyroid played a role in my misery with hives.

Do a web search for "hives and thyroid disorders", there is not a lot of information out there, but I found some from doing a web search using the above words in the search field.

Good Luck, and hope hubby is better soon!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

TPO antibodies are a frequent, common cause of hives. They also cause autoimmune hypothyroidism, so that's apparently the basis of his hypoT.

A simple blood test will determine if he has TPO antibodies. If he does, making sure that the diet includes at least 100 to 200 mcgs of selenium per day, through food and/or supplements, can reduce them by up to 40%.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
(female)

littlemama1016 HB User

He was in the ER while out of town when the hives started and was put on 2 separate doses of prednisone. Then a medrol dose pak. I told him to call the doc to go back on it, but the hives wound up coming back after all of that med and he doesn't want to go back on prednisone anyway. He's just buying his time until he goes back for the biopsy and updated blood test at the end of June. He really is going a bit nuts with the hives, but it's nice to know, unfortunately, that he is not alone. We are really banking on this being a thryoid issue and not something more serious. I have searched the web for these 2 topics and from what I gather, there is a possible relation to them. It's all now a pain in the butt waiting game.

Thank you all for your input! Much appreciated!

Old 05-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Sometimes suppressing the TSH significantly will help eliminate or reduce severe thyroid-related hives. But most docs balk at aiming for a TSH of 0.1 -- balanced of course by making sure that the free hormones are in range.

Suppressing TSH to that extent is usually done with thyroid hormone replacement -- and it may take both T3 & T4, or a med like Armour that contains both, to do the trick.

Best wishes.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

having hives/itchiness to my hands and my feet were the first signs of sending me to the doctor. doctor thought it was some minor thing and just prescribed me benedryl, went back because the symptoms just came back everynite. then he prescribed me claritin. tho i knew inside me that it wasn't allergies. and it was something deeper than that. then my heart palpitations surely did send me to a cardiologist who ran some lab and found that i do have an autoimmune disease. especially during high stressed moments is when i notice that i get more itchiness and big red blotchy skin. being itchy is stress in itself. i used to put ice packs on my hands and feet to make them go numb so i won't go crazy scratching my skin off. goodluck.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
(female)

littlemama1016 HB User

Now my husband is even worse between last night and this morning. I put a call into allergist as well as the endo. The allergist said for him to take Zantac for now and keep up all the other meds. He is so uncomfortable it's really sad. I don't know about your husbands, but men, in general are NOT good patients. He just feels like there is something else going on other than the thyroid. Once I talk to the endo, I"m hoping I'll feel better and so will he. Thank you again to all of you for your advice. I'm still not up on the techno terms for thyroid disease, but I'm learning.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

I think hives are related to hashis/hypo.. I have had a flare up twice and they are not fun at all...
1st round I was given zyrtec.. Let me tell you zyrtec was my miracle. Took about a week and half for the hives to clear up..
Second round I was given some sort of steroid cream to put on my body.. This took maybe 2 weeks to clear the hives up..
Tell your husband to hang in there.. Its going to get better.. Just take sometime.. ; )

Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #11
(female)

littlemama1016 HB User

Thanks! I think after 3 months of constant hives, he is really getting discouraged. He did a little better today, after getting put on Zantac with all the other meds he is on. Weird thing, his foot started to swell. Now the prob is that everything that is going on with him, we both can't help but wonder if it's thyroid related. The endo never called me back and I was pretty ******. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if we can get in earlier for the biopsy. Thanks again for all of the advice you have all shared. It truly does mean alot, especially when we don't really understand a lot of what is going on!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemama1016 View Post
Thanks! I think after 3 months of constant hives, he is really getting discouraged. He did a little better today, after getting put on Zantac with all the other meds he is on. Weird thing, his foot started to swell. Now the prob is that everything that is going on with him, we both can't help but wonder if it's thyroid related. The endo never called me back and I was pretty ******. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if we can get in earlier for the biopsy. Thanks again for all of the advice you have all shared. It truly does mean alot, especially when we don't really understand a lot of what is going on!
Could he be on a certain medication that could be causing hives?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Did you see the thread from the Mom that her son has gotten Anaphalxis allergic reaction..........you may want to share the hive symptoms with her.....she is looking for answers.......... Oleander

Old 05-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #14
(female)

littlemama1016 HB User

So not only does he still have thehives, but now his hands are swollen and so is the bottom of his lip. Now, I'm thinking allergic reaction, but I don't think that's been the case all along, just right now looking at him. Anyone familiar with swelling and thyroid? Putting in a page to the doc now.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #15
(female)

littlemama1016 HB User

We went to the allergist and he changed all of my husband's meds. He's still taking the levothyroxin, along with Tagamet, Atarax, Zyrtec and Benadryl, as needed. We go for his biopsy Fri. The allergist isn't sure if it's the thyroid but both my husband and I would rather them remove his thyroid and hopefully eliminate the hive problem, which the allergist said could go on for years. Boy, wasn't that encouraging!

Closed Thread