It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

Jenny C. HB User
Six Month checkup, after thyroid surgery, NOW another problem..

Hi All,

I haven't posted in a while, but just wanted to post, since another questioned has arised.
I had my surgery back in November, as many of you know...My voice was fine directly after my surgery, then a few weeks after my surgery, I had got sick, and lost my voice completely, well it has never come back fully, when I try to sing, or yell, it is very squeaky...and Laugh...LOL..
Went back to my Endro, for my 6 month check up, he noticed my voice, because it is hoarse...all the time...so he sent me to a ENT, and I went there yesterday, and they went down with the scope, and she found a single nodule on my vocal cord...she said, "Not to worry"..they also found alot of redness, meaning acid reflux, so she is now treating me for that..she said, in 4 weeks when I go back, we will talk about surgery...about taking out the nodule, on the vocal cord. She said, the only reason, she would recommend that, is because I just had the Hurthle cell on my thyroid, so with it being that close, to where the Hurthle cell was... then this nodule should probably come out...So my question is, has this happened to anybody else, who has gone through thyroid surgery?
I looked it up, and it said, vocal cord nodules are due to stress of the vocal cords, I thought maybe this is all from my surgery??? Or maybe it is from the acid reflux, who knows, but thought maybe you guys would know.
Also, has anybody, who have had Hurtle cells on their thyroids, has it spread back to the vocal cords, just a few questions??
Hope all is well with all of you.
Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
(female)

MATYA HB User
Re: Six Month checkup, after thyroid surgery, NOW another problem..

My experience is a long one and I won't go into the horrific details.

I will say that I had a TT Dec 2005 and I still cannot extend my voice or sing. In my case the nodule had grown over an approximately 10 year period My voice has been this way since the surgery. An EMG did show vocal cord paresis. This is a risk with Thyroid surgery when the thyroid is extremely large as mine was. I am choosing not to have additional surgery, because of the continued other Post op problems that I've experienced with my neck.
The entire thyroid had grown substernally and was removed.

Hope this helps.

I would get a second opinion.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I don't know much about it, but sorry for your troubles.

My daughter had vocal chord nodules, and they are from stress on the vocal chords (speaking improperly, or screaming or extending your voice too much). I believe they are almost always in that case, benign, and you can work with a speech therapist for it.

I think I recall you had a good surgeon??? I think in your case, I'd want to go to some sort of research hospital that specializes in thyroid cancer (even thought you don't have it!) (ie, columbia presbytarian, Johns Hopkins, Anderson) and get another opinion if you are worried about having the surgery.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Oh my gosh Jenny, your case is so similar to mine. I remember posting to each other right around the time of your surgery.

About 6 months after my surgery for a "suspicious" nodule, I also started to have trouble with my throat. I have a constant feeling of a lump in my throat. The ENT also did the scope down the nose thing to look around and diagnosed me with LPR, acid reflux like you. I know it is not reflux, and have become very convinced it has something to do with my thyroid. I spent almost a year on Nexium, 2X a day, the standard treatment for 'laryngopharyngeal reflux". It did nothing to relieve the discomfort, nor did any other standard reflux treatments such as raising my bed, no acidic foods/drinks, etc. I do get some relief though when my doctor tweeks my dosage of thryoid mediations. My doctors have not been able to find a solution for me, but just continue to diagnose it as reflux. I have had this for about 4 years now and have pretty much given up on a permanent solution, and just learned to live with it. Ultrasounds do not show anything (I have them regularly since the suspicious nodule issue), the scope down the throat doesn't show anything but some redness, and no additional nodule has been found anywhere.

Please keep me posted to your progress, any information you can give me might just help me too. Good Luck to you, I am hoping everything turns out fine for you.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
(female)

Jenny C. HB User

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your posts...
I am slow in responding, I haven't checked the boards in a few days, we went camping.

Red Maple...YOU ARE SOOO SIMILAR to me...that is SOOO WEIRD. That is good though, we can share with each other, our experiences, and maybe we can help each other figure out, what is going on.
Yes, I have been taking the NEXIUM, and still my voice is no better...I am worried about the nodule they had seen with the scope, but everyone says, Not to worry, so I am just hoping it wouldn't be another hurthle cell, I don't even know, if you can get Hurthle cells, on the vocal cords.
Well Thank You soo much for sharing your stories.
I will for sure keep you updated, and you do the same with me.

Thank You Red Maple, and everyone else..YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!
Have a great day!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
(female)

grandmaNP HB User

Have been reading the posts because our 24 yr. old daughter was just diagnosed with Hurthle cell Ca after her thyroid was removed for multiple nodules.

I don't know if you can get hurthle cells on your vocal cords, but what illness did you have? I had pneumonia in December and was hoarse for months. I was scoped by ENT who said I needed to quit coughing. He didn't find any nodules but said my vocal cords were extremely inflamed. I haven't coughed in ages, but still get hoarse occasionally - when I exercise, when the wind blows, etc.

Good luck - I hope it gets better; I know it can be annoying; I often sound sick and people are skeptical when I say I'm fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny C. View Post
Hi All,

I haven't posted in a while, but just wanted to post, since another questioned has arised.
I had my surgery back in November, as many of you know...My voice was fine directly after my surgery, then a few weeks after my surgery, I had got sick, and lost my voice completely, well it has never come back fully, when I try to sing, or yell, it is very squeaky...and Laugh...LOL..
Went back to my Endro, for my 6 month check up, he noticed my voice, because it is hoarse...all the time...so he sent me to a ENT, and I went there yesterday, and they went down with the scope, and she found a single nodule on my vocal cord...she said, "Not to worry"..they also found alot of redness, meaning acid reflux, so she is now treating me for that..she said, in 4 weeks when I go back, we will talk about surgery...about taking out the nodule, on the vocal cord. She said, the only reason, she would recommend that, is because I just had the Hurthle cell on my thyroid, so with it being that close, to where the Hurthle cell was... then this nodule should probably come out...So my question is, has this happened to anybody else, who has gone through thyroid surgery?
I looked it up, and it said, vocal cord nodules are due to stress of the vocal cords, I thought maybe this is all from my surgery??? Or maybe it is from the acid reflux, who knows, but thought maybe you guys would know.
Also, has anybody, who have had Hurtle cells on their thyroids, has it spread back to the vocal cords, just a few questions??
Hope all is well with all of you.
Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
(female)

Jenny C. HB User

Hi GranmaNP,

I am soo sorry, I am sooo slow in checking my posts. I have been REALLY busy, with the school year coming to an end. So I haven't been online hardly at all.
I am soo sorry, your daughter was just diagnosed with Hurthle cell cancer...I wish her the best of luck.
What kind of treatment are they giving her?? Did they say if it spread outside of the thyroid, they told me, all of my surrounding tissue was benign, meaning the blood vessels and surrounding tissue it didn't spread to. THANK GOD, so hopefully with her being young, they caught her's in time too, before it invaded anywhere else.
How is she doing, I hope she is doing good.
Thanks soo much for your post, and I just wanted to write really quick, and tell you I will keep your daughter in my prayers, and please keep me posted with her recovery.

Thanks!
Jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaNP View Post
Have been reading the posts because our 24 yr. old daughter was just diagnosed with Hurthle cell Ca after her thyroid was removed for multiple nodules.

I don't know if you can get hurthle cells on your vocal cords, but what illness did you have? I had pneumonia in December and was hoarse for months. I was scoped by ENT who said I needed to quit coughing. He didn't find any nodules but said my vocal cords were extremely inflamed. I haven't coughed in ages, but still get hoarse occasionally - when I exercise, when the wind blows, etc.

Good luck - I hope it gets better; I know it can be annoying; I often sound sick and people are skeptical when I say I'm fine.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
(female)

zindy HB User

hi -i have a nodule 5.2cm and having problems hoarseness and pain in neck and ear. the endo sent me to a ent she did the scope thing and said i have acid reflux, vocal red & inflamed. started me on meds so i'm waiting to see if it helps. hope everyone is doing well

Closed Thread