It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

meisha HB User
re-occurring symptoms

Hey there...I've been having some reoccurring symptoms that I wonder if they are thyroid related?? If anyone knows please respond.

First, I'm having problems with my blood sugar lately (I've been monitoring it thinking it may be related to the alternating fatigue and jittteriness in the am). Lately, whenever I eat carbs--even whole grains or sugar.. it goes pretty high and I wind up falling asleep. It doesn't drop below 70 and will usually go back to normal after a few hours, but I feel pretty wiped out and have no energy. I've notice in the past that I get drowsy after carb meals, but nothing like this. I've been excessivley fatigued, irritable and sleeping whenever I'm not working!!

Second my eyes have felt particularly irritated and students have commented on them being red. My left eye tears in the outer corner pretty often, which makes it feel more irritated. I've already been tested for allergies so it's not that.

My next Dr. Appt is on 6/27 and frankly I am sick of feeling like there is always something wrong. So, I called my PCP and I am heading in tomorrow to try and get some help again and if he brings up "depression" again I'm, going to tell him I AM NOT DEPRESSED..I JUST DON"T FEEL WELL AND IF ANYTHING I AM DEPRESSED ABOUT THAT AND THATS IT !!! The AD increase he made did nothing except make me less likely to cry about how I feel, but hasn't change the symptoms. I don't know what to ask for beyond those statements. I had bloodwork completed back in February with normal TSH and FT4 in the lower range. I also did home antibody testing that was inconclusive so I doubt I should even mention it. Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated.

BJM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: re-occurring symptoms

Read this board awhile and you'll learn "normal" isn't really always normal for you.

It would help people comment on that if you would post those lab results. Be sure to include the lab range for the FT4. Labs use different ranges.

So, your symptoms are red and irritated eyes, low blood sugar, fatigue and weakness in the morning? I can say that I had trouble with watering eyes and my left eye seemed to get tired and achey easily. That all started happening about 18 years ago and finally seems to have stopped when I get closer to a TSH of 1. Fatigue and weakness are classic symptoms of thyroid disorder, of course. I don't know about low blood sugar or if I have ever had that.

The symptoms can vary. Thyroid hormone or lack of it affects every cell in the body. We find, not only can the symptoms be many and varied, but they keep changing. You need the labs plus the symptoms to diagnose.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
(female)

Jamie2703 HB User

I've been having the drowsiness after I eat too....I was wondering if it had to do with blood sugar or the Hypo. I get really sleepy and its like no one can wake me up....I'm going to have to buy me one of those meters and check mine. Are your levels getting really high when you get drowsy..or are they in high normal range? My family doc checked my sugar the last time I saw her and I mentioned the sleepiness after a meal and she told me it was normal. But she checked my sugar that morning about 10 am and it was 108. I hadn't ate or drank anything since the night before. But she told me that was normal. My lab paper said high. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one going through this, even though I hate knowing somone else is going through it too because its aweful.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
(male)

wdiguy HB User

I had the tiredness after meals symptom. What happened was if I eat anything with alot of carbs I get really tired and achey type fatigue. I did two GTT's for hypoglycemia which is low blood sugar and that was not it. I spoke to a girl on here that had the same symptoms as me. I told her I was just about to start Armour and would see how that was. I just started Armour two weeks ago and the symptoms disappeared. Actually all mine did. I can eat anything with alot of carbs like bread and be fine. The thyroid turns food into energy. If your thyroid is not working correctly then your gonna have problems wth food. I checked for candida, celiac since they are related to fatigue and food and that was negative. Please note that I was on synthroid when I felt like this. I just started Armour two weeks ago and it relieved it. I dont know if it was the synthroid or my thyroid. I am pushing to my thyroid. But from reading that the thyroid helps convert food into energy made me think that was the cause. Especially after it cleared up on Armour.

Last edited by wdiguy; 05-25-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
(female)

pigs4 HB User

what is armor?? i have been on synthroid for a year. feeling worse and worse as the time goes by.. i have the brain fog after lunch- well actually i wake up tired...cannot get by without napping as soon as i get home like i hit the door and run to the bed practically... i have night sweats also..does anyone???
i get tested after june 1st i can hardly make it that long...does synthorid affect blood sugar cause im startign to feel like im a diabetic or something. my daughter is type 1 diabetic..
i went off synthroid for about 2 weeks to see any difference and i noticed the sweats were worse so i went back on it...it seemed i didnt have the brain fog as bad........ yo know the doctors don't want yo to play around with the dosage unless they do it... but i had to try something........ any help?? i forgot my numbers but i was high and low........

Old 05-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

pigs4, it sounds like you just may be needing an increased dose. It will be interesting to see your new lab results.

How long since your last labs? What were the results and ranges of those? What dose are you on and when was your prescription increased last?

Old 05-27-2007, 06:19 AM   #7
(female)

meisha HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBeth View Post
Read this board awhile and you'll learn "normal" isn't really always normal for you.

It would help people comment on that if you would post those lab results. Be sure to include the lab range for the FT4. Labs use different ranges.

So, your symptoms are red and irritated eyes, low blood sugar, fatigue and weakness in the morning? I can say that I had trouble with watering eyes and my left eye seemed to get tired and achey easily. That all started happening about 18 years ago and finally seems to have stopped when I get closer to a TSH of 1. Fatigue and weakness are classic symptoms of thyroid disorder, of course. I don't know about low blood sugar or if I have ever had that.

The symptoms can vary. Thyroid hormone or lack of it affects every cell in the body. We find, not only can the symptoms be many and varied, but they keep changing. You need the labs plus the symptoms to diagnose.
Thanks ErinBeth, Here are the latest values:
2/27/07:
Cortisol Random..8.54
C-Peptide...1.54 (.8-3.1)
Insulin Fasting...3 (<17)
Prolactin...21 (1.9-25)
FreeT4...1.16 (.75-2.0)
Ultra Sen TSH....91 (.47-6.9)
Fasting Glucose...89 (70-110)
Glucose 1 hr....126
Glucose 2 hr...103
4/26/07: I ordered my own antibodies testing online.
TPO: <10 range: 0-34
Antithyroglobulin: <20 range: 0-40

I went back to my PCP earlier than scheduled..on May 25th and told him about the blood sugar problem. I also told him that I am NOT depressed, but only upset about not feeling well... The depression is a symptom..not a cause! I explained about the eyes, drowsiness and told him I think all the symptoms are from secondary hypo and that a pituitary problem would actually fit all my symptoms. By the way I really should add low body temp and blood pressure (90/55 to 60) to the symptom list as well.
See this post for the long story:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=497513&page=3&highlight =meisha[/url]

He reiterated that he didn't want to treat the lack of periods and menopausal issues. He said he would work on the constipation and fatigue/blood sugar. He also suggested I see an Endo, which I had already in February and will return once again in June <sigh>. Then he lowered my effexor to "fix" the fatigue and brain fog, told me to take the max dose on the prescription for constipation, said he didn't need to do FT3 since my last TSH was normal and stated there are no specific blood tests for pituitary problems. Oh yeah he also did blood work to measure my blood glucose over time: AC1?? and a cholesterol panel (which by the way was borderline high last time: 207). I left frustrated because I noticed that instead of checking off his usual depression on my paper he now checked general anxiety/panic disorder...grrr.

Thank you for all your help and yes, I will keep searching until I feel better.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
(female)

meisha HB User

Jamie 2703,
I thought 108 was a borderline high for a fasting glucose depending on what website you check. My problem is with carbs or sugar. My readings go up to 160-190 after cereal, pizza, or spaghetti. If I eat a small candybar it shoots up to 225! I still think it is a symptom of something else going on..not necessarily diabetes. Thanks for the comments :-)

Last edited by meisha; 05-27-2007 at 06:30 AM. Reason: add name

Closed Thread