It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
(female)

MOLLY6 HB User
Foods

I was just reading a previous post on lifestyle changes and what foods affect your thyroid. I would be interested to know how certain foods affect people and their thyroid. Also, the posts mentioned that their thyroid was "swollen" after eating certain foods. I notice certain days, my neck looks fine and other days in the front of my neck is quite swollen. Is this controlled by the foods we eat?

Thanks for any info.

Molly

Old 05-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

NoSugarShell HB User
Re: Foods

I have noticed that soy and broccoli really affect my thyroid and my neck will be swollen after eating those things. My body temp usually drops pretty low as well. The soy has been the hardest thing to track down as I have found it in my protein shakes, vitamins, and some other of my favorite foods. I will post as I find other things. I am experimenting with different foods and lifestyle changes.

One other thing I take my temp in the morning when I wake up and it is usually pretty low but after exercise it will go up and stay up for the rest of the day.

I do not take any hormone replacement at this time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Nothing seems to affect my thyroid that I am aware of............. when I drink any dairy products my stomach swells up and I gain weight fast if I drink milk........ I have drank soy and ate cabbage and broccoli frequently but never noticed anything........... So I only eat those or drink soy on occasion.....

Oleander

Old 05-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

I swell up from soy sauce. I do ok if it's an ingredient in granola bars etc. it's just soy sauce that does me that way. I seldom eat the cabbage family veggies and when I do it's only in moderation and cooked of course.

Like you I'm curious also what it is about certain foods that is the problem. Why are we supposed to stay away from cabbage family foods etc.???

Hope someone real knowledgable will respond to this thread and enlighten us.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 05-29-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User

I see a naturopathic doctor ("ND") in addition to my endo. The ND advised me that people who have Hashimoto's are less likely to be affected by the goitrogens in foods (like cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc.) and that 1/3 of the goitrogens are destroyed in the cooking process anyway.

I went through a 6 week period of avoiding all known goitrogenic foods. My ND assured me that consuming those goitrogenic foods would be ok if I vary my intake, make them a small part of my overall diet, and never consume large quantities of them. He told me people who have hypothyroid not caused by autoimmune disorder are most reactive to the goitrogenic foods. Goitrogenic foods tend to cause goiter swelling and symptom increases for those people. On the advice of my ND, I started adding back small amounts of some goitrogenic foods and so far I haven't had any trouble with them. Although I'm currently still avoiding soy. It's in so many things, in so many forms. Soy protein, soy flour, soy beans, tofu, soy lecithin, soya lecithin, tamari, hydrolyzed soy. By the way, if you see lecithin without soy in front of it, then it might be from eggs instead (per my ND). Some people do not tolerate soy in any form. Some find that that soy thiocyanates and isoflavones interfere with their thyroid hormone processes. I'm avoiding it because I feel noticeably better when I don't ingest soy.

Of course, if you have a food intolerance or food allergy, that would cause you to have bloated stomach and irritation from that food regardless of your thyroid condition. You won't know how it is affecting you until you go through a trial period of eliminating it from your diet (at least 1 month trial). A ND can run a blood test for food intolerance and tell you specifically what foods are troublesome for you.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-11-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User

Barbara_Ann - swelling up from soy sauce probably has everything to do with the massive amount of sodium in the soy sauce and nothing to do with your thyroid.

Oleander53 - swelling belly from dairy products probably means you are slightly lactose intolerant (milk sugar intolerant - not an allergy). I have it. I have had it very severely in the past. Try some lactose enzyme pills from your drug store or other store. They really work well for me.

NoSugarShell is probably highly reactive to the goitrogenic foods because she's not on any thyroid supplement.

Last edited by Clarissa234; 05-30-2007 at 08:06 AM. Reason: left out something I wanted to say

Old 05-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

I have made many connections to food over the last 7 years. I know what I can eat and what I SHOULD stay away from:

Raw AND cooked cruciferous veggies make me really tired for about 5 days

Peanuts make me tired and constipated(found out they are goitrogens years after having this problem over and over)

Seafood and iodized salt make my heart beat faster, can't sleep, and feel more lightheaded for about 5 days.

Soy milk(tried years ago) always made me feel immediately tired. Would quit then try months later again, with same reaction.

So, years into this, knowing what these food groups did to me, I could confidently say that these foods affect my thyroid, as these groups are KNOWN to affect thyroid. Any food that is a goitrogen definitely seems to make me hypo-feeling, and the usual suspects that trigger hyperthyroid seem to make me feel that way also. I guess you could say I have some type of "reactive" thyroid(like my wonderful reactive hypoglycemia). I have Hashimoto's and I KNOW these foods affect me, so I'm not sure that I agree with the ND's reference to goitrogens not affecting the Hashi thyroid. Of course, I may be an odd case-who knows!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User

Sue1234,

I think it's great that you are paying close attention to how foods affect you. And, what works for one may not work for another (i.e., my ND's advice works for me, but totally seems inappropriate for you). I'm curious, are you on thyroid Rx now?

I have a reaction to soy and dairy only. That's why I avoid soy like the plague. Dairy - I handle that with lactose enzyme, so that's ok. But this all changes when I gain/lose weight. Dairy bothers me much worse when I am closer to my ideal weight.

Our bodies are such interesting, complex things.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Clarissa-

No, I'm not on any replacement, as it sends me reeling into hyper oblivion. I also have lactose intolerance now, which I didn't have most of my life. I just drink Lactaid milk. But, yea, my body's weird, so no telling why it acts the way it does.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
(female)

boata HB User

I have some theories here - I avoid anything that is known to have hormones in it - milk, most meats, try to eat only organic veggies and fruits that haven't been sprayed. I only use olive oil or coconut oil (coconut oil is fairly expensive but really good for thyroid). I only use the better sea salts as they have all of the minerals that regular salt strips out. I eat lots of whole grain bread - nothing with less than 4grams of fiber, so this is the hearty stuff. I do know that these changes have made me a healthier person - not sure if they are guidelines only for thyroid folks. The milk is a BIG deal - it's really scary what is put into regular milk these days - go organic. Also, fast food meat is the absolute worst for added hormones. Read the book Fast Food Nation and I guarantee you will never eat at a McDonalds again... I choose eggs that are Omega 3 eggs, usually farm grown. The Omega fats are important for us thyroid folks.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User

I'm with you there Boata. I eat only organic. I use only olive or sunflower oil. I make my own whole grain bread. I threw out everything that I had containing high fructose corn syrup, and I mostly avoid anything with sugar added instead of naturally occurring.

I take Omega 3's every a day, and they are certified pure. I buy from the health center where my nutritionist works, instead of buying from a warehouse store or super center.

I also stopped using fluoride toothpaste and went to a natural plaque and tartar fighting alternative toothpaste, and I bought a whole house water filtration system to get the gunk and chlorine out of my water. (Bottled water is no good unless it is purified - and that just got to be too expensive for cooking, washing veggies, etc.) Besides, I don't want to ingest all that stuff, so why would I want it soaking into my skin?

I can't begin to express how much better the nutritional changes have made me feel. They started to make me feel better even when I had only been on 25 mcg of thyroid medication for 4 days. I know it was the nutrition and not the medication that was initially helping me.

My goal is to get to the point where I don't need the thyroid Rx. I believe that I can get there if I take care of myself and explore all alternative remedies. And, when I do get there, believe me, I'll be avoiding goitrogenic foods just like others here who are currently unmedicated.

Closed Thread