It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

MikkiesMum HB User
Unable to Swallow at night

Hi recently I went to a doctor about this problem I have had for about a year now.
When I am asleep I wake up in a panic as I am unable to swallow and have started to choke. I get out of bed and eventually it subsides, I go back to bed and some hours later it will happen again. This is now nearly every night.

During the day I feel like my throat is dry and constricted.

I thought perhaps I had a thyroid problem or an infection.

The doctor said "Oh perhaps you are waking up before your muscles in your neck are" I said "You can't be serious, are you telling me that you dont swallow in your sleep?" and he said he suposed so. But he didnt bother to look or examine me in anyway.

And that was that I left the surgery feeling rather bewildered at where he got his licence from and why I had to pay it.

So any help would be great - seeing as the Doctor is stupid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
(female)

Hoopa7p HB User
Re: Unable to Swallow at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiesMum View Post
Hi recently I went to a doctor about this problem I have had for about a year now.
When I am asleep I wake up in a panic as I am unable to swallow and have started to choke. I get out of bed and eventually it subsides, I go back to bed and some hours later it will happen again. This is now nearly every night.

During the day I feel like my throat is dry and constricted.

I thought perhaps I had a thyroid problem or an infection.

The doctor said "Oh perhaps you are waking up before your muscles in your neck are" I said "You can't be serious, are you telling me that you dont swallow in your sleep?" and he said he suposed so. But he didnt bother to look or examine me in anyway.

And that was that I left the surgery feeling rather bewildered at where he got his licence from and why I had to pay it.

So any help would be great - seeing as the Doctor is stupid.
What type of surgery did you have? What type of thyroid problem do you have? Are you on medication of any kind? This could be a side effect of any medications that you might be on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

A swollen thyroid could cause you to waken with a feeling of choking, and it could cause swallowing difficulty during the day. The doctor should at least have palpated your neck to see what's going on there.

Do you have any other of the dozens of symptoms that thyroid disorders can cause? Or is this the only one?

(Hoopa... "surgery" is the UK term for "doctor's office".)

Old 05-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

have you checked to see if you have a thyroid problem? cuz i started feeling that way even before i figured i had a thyroid problem. wat upsets me is that most of us have to go through a loop of doctors before finding that we have a problem. i mean, we go to the doctors to find out what's wrong with us and they make crazy comments that throws me off the wall. so i know what your talking about. it's not fun. i would check into finding another doctor, who will run some tests to see what's going on.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:13 AM   #5
(female)

MikkiesMum HB User

Hi Thanks and No not on any medication nor have i had any surgery. I am having some tests done at the moment to see whats up.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:17 AM   #6
(female)

MikkiesMum HB User

Hi this is the only symptom that i have, I don't really know about other symptoms however today I swa my Gynocologist and all is not well in that dpeartments and he is running a number of tests. I will know more is about a week. Thanks for the advice

Closed Thread