It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 04:06 AM   #1
(female)

Samspark HB User
Radioactive iodine ablation

My endocrinologist said that if the medication for my Graves fails to get me into remission we will have to do the radiation ablation. I told him I'd never consent to this and he said that with surgery there was nothing to ablate! What did he mean by that? Also, I've been reading the Thyroid Solution by Rida Arem and for some reason I thought he would be against radioactive iodine treatment, but apparently not. Am I missing something? Is there a competent, respected endocrinologist out there that I can quote to my doctor?

Old 06-01-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User
Re: Radioactive iodine ablation

Hello-

Unfortunitly you are running into endocrine "mentality"....It took me 3 endo's before I found one that agreed to letting me stay on methimazole for an extended period of time. You might have to do some serious dr. shopping. In fact I have found that my regular is even more understanding and workable then my endo. Primary Care Physicians are capable as well in treating your graves (if they are willing).....

Surgery is always an option too. I however wouldn't give up on the meds until you have tried for years.

Take Care- Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
(female)

Samspark HB User

Thanks....my GP is wonderful and has offered to refer me to another endocrinologist and if that doesn't work, then another until I found someone willing to work with me. When my Endo told me I had Graves and I asked what I could do to support my immune system, he responded, "Nothing!" I couldn't believe it!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
(female)

Bier HB User

My daughter was first diagnosed with Graves Disease when she was 11 years old. She is approaching her 24th birthday now. She took propylthiouracil until she was 16 and in remission. She was symptom free until last year. She was studying for her final year of college and the stress triggered a return of symptoms. She then took methimazole until this past April. She is okay so far. Her Endocrinologist told her that if symtoms return, she may have to consider the radioactive ablation. She is a singer. There is risk to the voice box and vocal chords whne the thyroid gland is removed surgically. Thus, she would probably opt for the ablation and be done with it, thus, joining me and her father in the World of Hypothyroidism.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
(female)

Samspark HB User

I can understand in your daughter's case why she might choose the radioactive iodine, but given my cousins experience with that treatment I personally would opt to face the risks to my vocal chords.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
(female)

Cheryl88 HB User

I wouldn't consent to the ria either! I am currently being treated for Grave's disease with 50mg of PTU (MMI worked for me last time and I went into remission for 3 years0 but I am trying to get pregnant and PTU has a longer success rate of not affecting babies

Old 06-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Elaine Mooreo wrote a book about her Graves called "Graves Disease a practical guide". She had RAI and stayed radioactive for weeks and weeks. She worked in a lab and was contaminating everything, they put an x through her pic at the lab to stay out till she registered not radioactive! She wrote a book about it after jumping into RAI before she even knew anything about Graves. She's regretted it ever since. She said don't make any big decisions when you have this, cause your brain is screwed up from it and you would tend to make rash decisions before you take meds, you're in a hyper state. Did you know if you have this your spouse has a big chance of going hypo from you! I chose no RAI either, even though my doc didn't bring it up till I did. He keeps patients on low doses of meds for years,if you go into remission, then go back hyper, you can take the anti-thyroid meds again, he said.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-09-2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Closed Thread