It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 01:34 AM   #1
(female)

Stacey43 HB User
Swollen Feet And Ankles.

I've been on synthyroid for about 2 weeks now, my feet and ankles swell. Anyone else taking synthyroid having this problem? I don't know if this is a side effect or not.
Thanks in advance!

Blessings,
Stacey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User
Re: Swollen Feet And Ankles.

Hi,

I'm not on Synthroid, I'm on armour but fluid retention is a hypo symptom. It could be your body is sensing the addtional thyroid hormone and has reduced the amount it is producing causing you to be more hypo.

I would call your doc and tell him what is going on. An increase would probably help but most docs won't do an increase at two weeks and prefer to wait four to six weeks. I would tend to think more that it is a hypo symptom instead of a reaction to Synthroid. Someone on Synthroid will like as not chime in and tell you more.

Hope you get it resolved, I've dealt with fluid retention during my thyroid journey and it is not very pleasant.

Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

I did that once while on synthroid but it wasn't the medication. It was from soy sauce. I have to stay away from anything with soy - really goes to my lower legs and feet and blows them up.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
(female)

Hoopa7p HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey43 View Post
I've been on synthyroid for about 2 weeks now, my feet and ankles swell. Anyone else taking synthyroid having this problem? I don't know if this is a side effect or not.
Thanks in advance!

Blessings,
Stacey

Before I was put on the Synthroid, I used to have swollen legs and ankles when I would wake up in the morning. It was to a point where I would have to put my legs up for a few minutes before starting to get dressed for work. Swollen legs and ankles are a symptom of hypothyroid problems. Talk to your doctor about this. It could be a side effect of the medication for you but usually this happens to people before they are put on Synthroid.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
(female)

Stacey43 HB User

Thank you for the replies. The swelling usually happens at night, I noticed. My left foot gets so puffy that I can barely put my sandal on.

I see my doctor on the 26th and he will decided then if we should up my dosage. I have hashimoto's so I could be due for a higher dosage.

I do thank you all for the info. Hope your weekend is enjoyable so far.

Blessings,
Stacey

Closed Thread