It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User
Question about CT Scan and Iodine Dye and MEDS???

I have a question....

1st off I tried calling endo's office yesterday for answer but they always seem to be able to escape out of their office at like noon of Friday's. lol..

I had to have abdominal CT scan yesterday with iodine. Now I know that the iodine can alter my blood level readings. But I am wondering if it is going to interfere with my meds I am currently on? ANd if I will end up too hyper?? I asked the guy doing the test but he didn't know too much about the thyroid relating to the iodine. He even told me that all extra iodine will be gone from my body within a day. But when I read my books they say it could alter blood results for up to 6 weeks or longer? YIKES.. I just don't know if I should continue taking my levo or not?

THis stuff is confusing! LOL

Old 06-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: Question about CT Scan and Iodine Dye and MEDS???

I don't know in your specific situation, but I can tell you what happened to me a year ago. I had to have a ct scan with iodine contrast to look at my adrenal glands. No problem. About a week later I was having a faster heartrate and increased, spiky b/p issues. Just lived with it. Three weeks after my test, I was in the ER for high b/p, 180/110, upon waking that morning. I have never had b/p go that high before. I felt like I was dying or something dreadful! They didn't diagnose me with anything(small town ER) and my TSH was 2.something. Of course my tsh would not have changed very fast, from what I've read. But a doctor later confirmed that with my Hashimoto's disease, I may have picked up that iodine and utilized it, causing a Hashitoxicosis. If you have no thyroid left, I'm not sure of your situation, the extra iodine shouldn't cause something like that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Hi katkatdd,

I had an abdominal ct with contrast yesterday morning too. I still have my whacky thyroid and didn't think much about it cause I had so much else going on and this was one of those rush thingys and I didn't get a chance to read up on it. I did tell the tech that I am hyperthyroid. My thyroid has enlarged enough since yesterday that the hubby mentioned it this morn. I am a little bit concerned too.

The one thing I did find out is that that iv contrast is a wonderful diuretic. It got rid of quite a bit of my excess water.

Now, if your thyroid is not present or has been destroyed (you did rai, didn't you?), like sue said, there is nothing to take up the iodine, so there should be no problem.

Helen

Old 06-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Ok! Yea I had the RAI treatment in Feb..

OMGosh I had to also drink a bottle of magnesium citrate the day before becuase they were doing the pelvic area also. Uggg... So I got extra sodium from that also. I was sooooo sick all that night and even yesterday all day my stomach was talking to me. LOL. I could literally carry on a conversation with my stomach it was making some strange sounds.. I had to eventually take anti-nausea medicine it was so bad. YUCK....

Well I won't worry about it messing with my thyroid too much. I will just let the endo know also so when he re-does my labs for my check up he will know before hand just incase there are any funny results that show up.

Closed Thread