It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
(male)

dunb440 HB User
Exclamation TSH 17, Doc says don't treat?? OPINIONS PLEASE!

I ust got a call from the internist, earlier
I heard from my endo at the same hospital.

The endo says I need to be back on meds to treat the TSH.
The internist says I probably had a toxicosis attack and that my T4 and T3 numbers are good, so if I treat it will cause the anxiety / panic to return.. He also said the High AntiThyroglobulin but normal TPO means the attack has subsided and will diminish.

They both said the high am cortisol and lower range testosterone will be better. The Endo thinks the meds will make it better cause I'll get balanced, The internist thinks they went off cause of the toxic attack and will fix themselves as the attack stops..

ANY IDEAS?

Here are my test results;
Testosterone free Direct 9.1 6.8-21.5
testosterone Serum 286 241-827
TSH HIGH 16.78 .35 - 5.5
Thyroxine T4 Free Direct .85 .61 1.76
Triiodothyronine T3 102 85 - 205
Triiodothyronine,Free, Serum 2.9 2.3 - 4.2

ACTH Plasma 44 6 - 48
Cortisol a.m. HIGH 25.8 4.3 - 22.4

tpo 30 0 - 34
AntiThyroglobulin HIGH 2363 0 - 40

TSI Antibodies **Will Follow**
Atinuclear Antibodies **Will Follow**
IgG Antibodies **Will Follow**
the internist wants to see these as well when they come in.
The endo says they don't matter...
UGH!

Last edited by dunb440; 06-06-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User
Re: TSH 17, Doc says don't treat?? OPINIONS PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunb440 View Post
I ust got a call from the internist, earlier
I heard from my endo at the same hospital.

The endo says I need to be back on meds to treat the TSH.
The internist says I probably had a toxicosis attack and that my T4 and T3 numbers are good, so if I treat it will cause the anxiety / panic to return.. He also said the High AntiThyroglobulin but normal TPO means the attack has subsided and will diminish.

They both said the high am cortisol and lower range testosterone will be better. The Endo thinks the meds will make it better cause I'll get balanced, The internist thinks they went off cause of the toxic attack and will fix themselves as the attack stops..
This is a bit out of my league. But even without being an 'expert', I can see that what is missing in this whole discussion and opinions of internist and d.o., is how to avoid the same thing from happening again.

Are either of these drs going to address your adrenals before resuming the T4?

I also have doubts about the internist's comments on the antibodies.

I think you need some senior veterans commenting here. I am bumping you up and hope you will get a senior vet's reply

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
(female)

froggyfog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunb440 View Post
I
TSI Antibodies **Will Follow**
Atinuclear Antibodies **Will Follow**
IgG Antibodies **Will Follow**
the internist wants to see these as well when they come in.
The endo says they don't matter...
UGH!
The only thing I know is if the Thyroid antibodies are high then it tells a person they have hashimotos. My endo said once you are DX you don't need to keep checking it...he said it will wax and wane but has no effect on treatment.

This comment will bump you up so maybe someone will answer who is more knowledgeable than me.

Froggyfog

Old 06-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
I have doubts that these statements are true. For one, your T4/T3 numbers aren't "good". They're low. Very low.
And two, I've seen several people here in treatment with only anti-Tgs... no TPOs. Hashi's occurs with either/or both Tg Abs or TPO Abs... and even with no discernable antibodies at all.

I still think you need thyroid treatment but can't tolerate it due to adrenal fatigue. I would say I'm surprised the endo can't see that, but nothing that endos neglect to do surprises me anymore.

Last edited by midwest1; 06-08-2007 at 09:19 AM.

Closed Thread