It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
(male)

Modularman HB User
All My Tests - Still Up And Down With Methimazole

Well everyone, and Helen, Here are my latest list of test results. As you can see I've been one way, then the other, then back the other way. Im now on 10 mg methimazole a day, once a day. I have not had too many good days since the first of the year. Always something. My face kinda tingles, I get pressure in my head, pulse is coming down again but blood pressure still up, aches in my muscles. I get pain in someof the muscles just below my collar bone and above the nipples. I have dull aches in my upper abdomen, can go up in to the center chest area, then gurgle gurgle at the upper abdomen and the pain is gone. Dizzy now and then. Got real bad pain in my knee for a while, could hardly walk and then went away after about a week. As you all probably know, I would give anything to feel good again, my house, my car, anything ! !Well best wishes to all of you. thanks Helen. I will keep you updated on whats happening. I feel like I was at the first of the year right now.

2/9 T4 2.2 0.8 - 1.8 ng/dl
TSH <0.19 0.350-5.500 uiu/ml

3/19 T4 .046 0.50 - 1.6 ng/dl
TSH 0.010 0.340 - 5.60 miu/ml

4/27 T4 0.5 0.8-1.8 ng/dl
TSH 11.880 0.350-5.50 uiu/ml

5/8 T4 0.7 0.8-1.8 ng/dl
TSH 2.12 0.350-5.50 uiu/ml

5/22 T4 1.4 0.8-1.8 ng/dl
TSH 0.020 0.350-5.50 uiu/ml

At this point he put me on 10 mg methimazole after being off of it for about a month. When I started he had me on 20 mg a day.

Last edited by Modularman; 06-07-2007 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to leave tests

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: All My Tests - Still Up And Down With Methimazole

I think a lot of us would do anything to feel good again. These thyroids can be awful nasty creatures. I don't think there's a person out there who has not experienced it who can possibly understand how horrible it can be at times and how much of our body and lives it affects. Aren't those good days great? It's kinda like being given the best present in the world when they happen.

I gather you've been on the 10mg tap for about 2 weeks? It takes a little longer than that to feel the effects. From looking at your labs, it is most likely that you are going to be better suited to 10mg but if you start heading hypo again, and they should keep a really close watch out for that at around the 4 or 6 week mark, the dose should be reduced to 5mg. A lot of people do quite well on 5 to 10mg. It's a balancing act that takes a little patience. I know, patience my a**. But that's what it takes to get there.

From what I've been experiencing lately, I'd suggest, if you haven't already, have a full age appropriate physical, including a good look at the heart and other organs to make sure that everything is a-ok. Once you know everything's all right, you can take off your pack and relax a little bit. Keep a close eye on things and everything should be ok cause it usually takes long term hyper to cause permanent damage.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

it sure sounds like you were over medicated at first, your labs actually look good now, but maybe you should be on 5 instead of 10,get labs again after being on this dosage for about 1 month to 6 weeks. My doc started me on only 2.5.Sept06) I did well until April then I asked him well let's give it another 6 weeks. I am still on the hyper side so he increased me to 5, my heart was skipping and stuff and he said that for my health and safety he'd have to up the dosage or get treatment somewhere else, he's been good about not over medicating me so of course I agreed. Some docs prescribe too much at first it seems. I have some shoulder pain but it's being controlled now with a drug called Mobic, which is like a glorified Motrin. I don't know if it's a side effect of the tap, but it might be, or it's from Graves, it seems like a lot of us have muscle or joint pain. Hope you get regulated soon, like I am hoping to be! be patient, it will happen.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
(male)

Modularman HB User

Thanks for you replies. Its the support you get on this board that gets you through some of the tough times. I wish you the best with your health and hope you get where you need to be also. Jim

Old 06-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
(male)

Modularman HB User

Well my latest blood test last week came out with a tsh of 6.2. They said to stop the 10mg of methimazole (again) for about one week and then start up again with 5 mg. I noticed lately (when I get more on the hypo side) my heart rate comes down and so did both numbers of my blood pressure. However, just three days off methimazole and I dont think that is long enough to make too much difference, my blood pressure is going back up again mostly with spikes. I thought it only did this with my hyper period? Well anyway thats the latest. How is everyone doing? Good I hope.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Well, I would think just stopping a dosage of 10mg to nothing must make you feel a little weird!I knew you were being over medicated, right Helen? I hope 5 does the trick, that's what I'm on now from 2.5 to 5, that's more like it, but 20 to 10 to 5,that's a big dosage change, I think. You probably should have started on 10, but doctors rush to get you in normal limits.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
(male)

Modularman HB User

Thanks for your comments Nana. Always welcome and appreciated.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello jim,

Hypos usually run lower bp's and pulses. They're kinda the opposite of us in that regard. 3 days off the tap is enough to make a difference. It's a very quickly metabolized drug and once you stop it, the body is able to start immediately making the thyroid hormones again. They only had me stop ptu for 4 days prior to a scan so they could get an accurate reading.

The other thing you've got to remember is you already had your underlying problem with the bp. That, in a way is a seperate issue and it makes the balancing act a little more difficult. I know it's hard not to worry about those bp spikes but if they aren't causing major symptoms and your cardiac workup was ok, a couple weeks of them while you level out isn't enough to cause long term damage.

It just seems to me that it's possible that your bp issue itself isn't totally under control with the meds you're taking for that. Have you talked to your doctor about that possibility? Maybe an adjustment in the bp meds is in order.

Been wondering about the boss from he!! too. Did he ever come around?

Take care,
Helen

Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
(male)

Modularman HB User

Yes your certainly right in what you say Helen. The Dr. did put me on another drug in addition to the atenolol. Its a long long name hydrochlorothiazide. Anyway I never started it because I was going on the hypo side again and my bp started to go down. For me 130/70-75 is low and great. So I held off on the new drug. I didnt want my bp to go down too low plus it lists a lot of side effects that I dont really want so I was hoping my thyroid would stabalize and so would the bp. Well Im not sure thats gonna happen yet. I will start taking the methimazole again tomorrow at 5 mg a day. Guess I will see what happens. Always great to hear from you and all the others helping each other. Thanks again. Hope your doing better.
Jim

Old 06-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

The med he prescribed is a diuretic. It may take care of those spikes. It's also a med you can take just temporarily to get you thru a high bp episode. I was put on it temporarily twice years ago. Just for a couple weeks each time. Just stay close to a restroom and you'll be ok.

It was confirmed yesterday that I have chronic kidney disease. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. I knew it was coming but it was kinda hard to finally see it on paper if you know what I mean. Oh well, looks like there's something new to learn about. I hate not being busy.

Take care,
Helen

Old 07-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
(male)

Modularman HB User

Here are my latest tests as of 7/26/06

T-4 Free 0.8 0.8 - 1.8 ng/dl
TSH thyrotropin 4.940 0 .350 - 5.500 uIU

Dr. says Im taking 5mg a day now so take 5 mg Mon-Fri and skip Sat and Sun. Im wondering how that is going to work for me.

Current symptoms, some spikes in blood pressure and pulse, mostly bp, some dizzyness. My head feels full a lot lately. I dont know how to explain it. blotchy skin pink/white face and hands mostly. Plugged nose, ears sometimes. anxiety? who knows, methimazole, I dont know, thyroid numbers, I dont know.

How is everybody else doing? Thanks and good luck.
Jim

Old 07-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey jim

Looks like you're getting a little closer. It's very reasonable to play with the dosage like that. It might just ooch you right into the spot you need to be in. They had me doing all kinds of weird schedules with mine at one point.

You don't need to be able to describe the symptoms you have. I've known them well on several occassions. I don't know exactly what causes them either. I do know they are more an annoyance than anything else and they do go away.

I saw the pcp again this morn. Getting closer to pinpointing things. Got a lot going on but I'm a lot more optimistic about it. I'll be posting more about it later on a different thread. The boss is getting annoyed. I really should be working.

later,
Helen

Old 07-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #13
(male)

Modularman HB User

Thanks again Helen. Your always there. Have a good day. JIm

Old 07-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
(male)

Modularman HB User

Thanks for your response. I take methimazole 5mg a day at one time. I dont think I ever saw a T-3 on my test results. How would taking it twice a day effect me? Do you think it would be better as far as how I feel? at the beginning of this thread I think I have most of my tests and history kind of. Thanks and have a good day.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi jim,

mmztcass does have a point. Perhaps splitting that 5mg in half and taking it 12 hours apart might even things out some more. You'll still be getting the 5mg that the doc wants you on. It's sometimes worth experimenting with. Just don't go too far off course with any experimenting. It really ticks the docs off.

A free t3 at some point might help if things don't seem to even out after your free t4 is more back in line with what it should be. Usually people with toxic multi-nodular goiter don't have quite the incongruent t3/t4 ratio that's sometimes seen in graves. Free t3 can change so rapidly from day to day that it isn't always the best thing to use to follow the progress unless there appears to be a problem with conversion or the ratios. If you've got a doc that's open to suggestion and good insurance, it may be worth a shot but I got a feeling in your case, it's not going to tell you a whole bunch more. It's expensive and if you're under managed care, it may be refused. So far, all your symptoms have followed your tsh/ft4. I'd ask but wouldn't be devastated if it's balked at. Insist if things don't get better.

Keep us posted. It's always good to hear how you're doing. I'll be rooting for you cause it sure looks like you're getting closer to your goal.

Helen

Closed Thread