It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
(female)

pharma_gal HB User
What do these results mean?

I just got my lab test results and I am worried. I dont have the exact numbers on me but this is wht I have:
My TSH level is 1.5 which seems to be in the normal range but my thyroid peroxidase and my antithyroglobulin antibodies are both unusually high..I dont no the exact numbers but both of them should be below 100 and my numbers are like 600 or something..I will go for thyroid scan later, but wht does this indicate?? thanks.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: What do these results mean?

It usually indicates Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the most common cause of hypothyroidism in industrialized countries.

I'm supposing this is all new to you... that you aren't in treatment for hypoT, and perhaps have some symptoms which caused you to get tested?

Welcome to the board. Let us know what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
(female)

pharma_gal HB User

Hi midwest..thanks..and yes u r right..this is all new to me..i just went for a regular check since I was having very severe constipation (sorry dont mean to sound gross)..but it is just very uncomfortable so the doctor suggested to do a bolood test and i just got the results in..i was searching on the web and its all so confusing..im glad i found this board..I will go for thyroid scan this week and meet the doc again sometime next week..

is this curable? im so worried..pls let me no..thanks.

Last edited by pharma_gal; 06-07-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hmmm interesting. Thyroid scan isn't usually one of the first tests done. Do you have an enlarged thyroid gland, aka "goiter" or thyroid nodules that the MD wants imaged?

Hashi's is an autoimmune disorder in which the body manufactures antibodies that attack the thyroid hormone process. The usual result is eventual total thyroid failure. It isn't curable, but it's pretty easily treated by supplying the missing hormone(s) in tablet form on a daily basis. I have Hashi's; now that my hormones are optimally regulated, it's really not a big deal for me anymore. I'm thankful that if I have to have a chronic disease, that this is the one. So try not to be worried. This can be fixed even if not cured.

The trick is finding a really good MD to treat it. The best way is not to monitor TSH, the way they're taught in med school, but to watch the free thyroid hormone levels instead.

Ideally, the best MD would be open to prescribing a T3 drug if it turns out to be needed. Most thyroid drugs are T4 replacements. T4 is supposed to be converted into T3 in quantities sufficient for the body's needs; but sometimes, the process is corrupted and additional exogenous T3 must be supplied. It's a mystery to me why so many MDs deny this possibility and adamantly refuse to prescribe T3. I'm mentioning this fact to you so you can file it away in your head now, in case it becomes relevant to you later.

The book we Boardies recommend to newbies is Thyroid for Dummies by Dr. Alan Rubin. It will teach you the basics in easy to understand language.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
(female)

pharma_gal HB User

Hi midwest...

thank u so much for taking the time to reply..I will post more details abt the test results whn i get home today since my husband picked them up for me and just quickly gave me the #'s. Im still a bit worried coz it looks like i might have to take some meds throughout my life...and we r also trying for baby..

The MD did mention tht one of sie of the glands seems to be a bit enlarged..so is tht why she wants to do a thyroid scan..Im not sure..

I will try to find the book you recommended..thanks again..

R.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
(female)

pharma_gal HB User

Ok these are my test results:

TSH 1.5
Thyroid peroxidase antibody 180
Thyroglobulin antibody 680

My antibodies are high yet my TSH is normal?? Can someone pls explain this to me?? Is it still Hashimoto's?? thanks.

R.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

You need to have your free thyroid hormones measured. TSH is a pituitary hormone which is an indirect indicator of what your thyroid is doing. (Most MDs will tell you it's the only surefire measure of what your thyroid is doing, but they're deluded, poor souls.)

If your free Ts (FT4/FT3) are at the bottom of their lab ranges, you don't have enough hormone to fill your body's needs and symptoms start to appear. This occurs independently of TSH, which can take months or years to reflect the damage that Hashi's is doing due to low thyroid levels. So-called "normal" TSH is no guarantee you have enough thyroid hormone circulating in your blood, entering your cells.

Low thyroid - from Hashi's or any other cause - is a frequent cause of infertility, miscarriage, and premature birth. If you are offered treatment, grab it and run. Don't think twice about it. It's insurance for a successful pregnancy outcome.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
(female)

pharma_gal HB User

Midwest,

thanks so much for taking the time to reply evrytime..I have a thyroid ultrasound scheduled for Monday, then I will go and see the doc..I will keep u posted...thanks again...

R.

Closed Thread