It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Post am i over medicated on levothyroxine??

hi all heres some of the symtons im having the ones with the x is what im dealing with i called drigstore they told me it sounded like im overmedicated i called my dr he wants me to come in next friday is that too long my heart rate runs between 115-130 at times i know my heart is pounding like mad and i cant calm down even the xanax i take dont help ,
heres my symtons.
__x____ Elevated pulse and blood pressure
__x____ Anxiety, nervous energy, tremors, feeling jittery
______ Shaking hands, tremors
__x____ Feeling irritable, overemotional, aggressive, easily startled, or erratic
__x____ Difficult concentrating, mind is always racing, can't shut off thoughts
__x____ Difficulty sleeping, insomnia-----------the xanax helps with the sleeping
___x___ Fatigue, exhaustion
__x____ Perspiring, feeling overheated, especially when others are cold
__x____ Diarrhea or loose bowels
__x____ Heart palpitations, feeling like heart is skipping a beat, or racing
__x____ Depression
______ Weight loss with no change to diet/exercise, or sometimes, paradoxically, weight gain
______ Increase in food intake, with no weight gain
______ Craving and/or eating more carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta, sweets, fruits, sugary foods, etc.)
______ Unusual hunger pangs
__x____ Excessive thirst
___x___ Loss of appetite
__x____ Diarrhea, or frequent bowel movements
______ Hair loss
__x____ Changes to menstrual period (lighter, less frequent)
__x____ Enlarged, sensitive or tender neck
__x____ Dizziness, breathlessness
__x____ Achy or weak muscles and joints
______ Eyes are enlarging or looking "bug-eyed"
______ Dry, gritty, irritated, red eyes
__x____ Headache in eye area, pain behind the eyes-------------just headaches.
is this dangerous to wait till next friday i wasnt due for new labs till june 21st so the 15th will be only 6 days early alls i know is i feel like crap its the worst feeling .last lab was 1.5 im taking 75 mcgs and it must be too much for me ....
so does anyone know does this sound like overmedicated to you ? drugstore said yes and told me call dr asap should i go have them tested before the 15th or just wait and go then .cause im still taking the 75mcgs and its making me feel bad .....................vickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Re: am i over medicated on levothyroxine??

Hello Vicki,
That heart rate is really high - I would call the doc right away...did they ramp you up to 75 mcg? I had to ramp up slowly to keep from getting some of those symptoms - I started at 25 mcg....One time my pulse was 120 and my doc wouldn't let me leave the office until it calmed down (I was all anxious at the visit).....I don't know if this helps but I would call the doc....
Best wishes to you,
Kathy

Old 06-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathy,no i started on 25mcgs in jan took for 6 weeks my tsh in jan was 8.45 then 6 weeks later 6.28 so dr raised them to 50mcgs took for 6 more weeks tsh then was 7.11 put me on the 75mcgs took them so far 2 mos i think ok tsh went down to 1.54 that was on may 11th so now i go see dr friday june 15th and yes i feel very hyper my heart pounds nonstop the xanax dont even help much but he said id be fine till i see him friday i sure hope so i never felt like this ever and its horrible it feels like your racing so fast and cant stop and he should have known this cause i told him my symtons only i just had a few then but i had the arm pain and rapid heartrate high blood pressure and depression then boom it just kept getting worse .if i didnt have the xanax id be awake 24 hrs with no sleep well at least i know my thyriold is working i suppose .but its better then sleeping nonstop i hate both hypo and hyper ...
so will i be fine till next friday ? i do have some 25mcgs but i should let the dr do my dose you think i shouldnt do it myself...........vickie

Old 06-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Vickie,
I know what you are describing - I think my thyroid spurts out T4 every now and then and I have too much - but I would do exactly as your doc says - I'm not a doctor and wouldn't want to misadvise.....Sorry you are having this - hope you feel better soon....
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

I don't know enough about your situation to explain what is happening to you, but I would like to say that there is no need to wait for your dr and ride it out. If it gets to be too much for you, just call your dr and tell him you need to see him immediately, if he puts you off and you have the same symptoms, I would just go to the emergency dept and have them sort it out. Whether you are over medicated or not, or it is some intolerance to the T4, or seomthing else entirerly, you are putting yourself at risk. While you may be able to tell you have an elevated pulse, what you can't tell is if you are having an arrythmia only detectable by an EKG.

If you are on xanax, I am wondering if your dr has categorized you, as mine had, as 'crazy" and doesn't really hear you any more....thinking that all your complaints are exaggerated or psychosomatic. Even when I went to a new dor, the minute they saw "lexapro" on the chart, they became patronizing and couldn't wait to suggest that my symptoms were all in my head.

Listen to your body, don't wait for you dr if you can't

Old 06-09-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

spot on sparckles you took the words right out of me mouth , ye s i wouldnt have that ! sparkles my drs do itall the time as im on diazapam they cant deny that thyroid and anxiety go together or there fore are we all mad and its in our heads mmm i think notxxxxlove from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx i know that look to well when i walk into d r breezes officexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxrotlfolxxxxx xx

Old 06-09-2007, 04:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkles whats a arrythmia ? and i have had so mabny ekgs plus untrasound plus wore heart holter the stress test everything ,and no my dr is the 1 who put me on xanax but he dont know too much i dont guess cause around april my arms started hurting he had me on zocore he thought the meds were doing it so he stopped me ok my arms kept hurting i told him this plus i have severe depression thats all gone thank heavens .and you know sometimes i think he thought it was in my head my old dr i had thought i was suffering from depression so he sent me to a psychiatrist but glad he did cause hes the one who found my tsh at 8.45 ,this dr i have now never tests my t's or my free's well i have a list wrote down i gave him that loretta told me to have tested and if he dont test them im going out the door cause i found another dr hes not internal but hes in my town plus i see my endo in july .and your right if i feel worse monday im calling him and saying hey i need a earlier appt or im going to this new dr hes in town too the one im seeing now is 20 mins away the one in town 5 mins away but it all depends on how good the dr is sometimes i feel drs dont know anything my dr should have knew the symtons for over medicated but they can make mistakes too ..........well its 7am and i have to go find something to eat im straving .be back later and sparkles ask me anything sorry at times my mind is blank at times where i forget what im sayiong or doing going to eat be back later......vic darn someone please show me how to do them icons,,,,,,,,vic

Old 06-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

I misspelled Arrhythmia. It can refer to any disorder of heart rhythm. In your case, I was referring to an irregular heart beat.

The icons? just click them.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkles yes i have irregular heartbeat allways have if you mean like i skip beats cause i do allways have what im feeling is yuky feeling i just dont feel right and i called er they said i cant have tsh done unless dr orders it so guess i have to suffer but im not come monday im going to that new dr here in town if my other dr refuses to see me sooner cause i cant last a whole week with this iam thinking of changing drs a gp is just as good as a internal arent they ?and this dr is 5 mins away where my other one is 20 mins oh man i dont feel good at all monday seems like a lifetime away im going to see if i can go in earlier then 1:30.my arms hurt i am dizzy my head hurts my whole body hurts im hot i just dont feel good at all i hate this feeling and why does my dr want me to wait till friday hes prob thinking im being nuts because all theses symtons he thjought i needed inpatient thought i was bipolar.well i will be back when hubby gets home i may go to er and see if they will check my tsh cause this is a horrible feeling my heart never calms down and its beating so fast i cant even think stright.
be back soon....vic

Old 06-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ps i dont know how to get the icons im talking about the other ones not the ones on bottom of page

Old 06-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

I agree, if you feel you must, go to the ER. You have to understand that the ER usually has a lot of patients, so probably won't engourage you to come in if it is possible to postpone it till you can see your reg Dr. The ER won't diagnose or give real advice over the phone for liability reasons. If you just show up there, they will have to process you. Whether you get a TSH test or not is debatable, but if you need tests, they will give them, and maybe a TSH test to you, since you are on thyroxine. That would be protocol, I presume.
Just a reminder when deciding what to do, you have a theory that you are over medicated....it may or may not be the case. Could be some other cause. It is best to have that determined by a medical professional.

Yes an internist will be just fine. It all depends on how good an internest he/she is. You will find out when you go

Old 06-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi sparkles,kat,helen
well im changing drs i called him on his answering service and he does think im crazy he wants me to go to a inpatient hospital because he dont believe its my thyriolds so i have a new dr im seeing on monday at 1:30pm and im calling my old dr and telling him i wont be back im not crazy.im on too high a dose of levothyroxine so tomorrow imay just skip a pill till i see new dr and my brother is right some drs are only out for the money .i will be better off anyway cause the new dr is in my town and also i done saw a psychiatrist and she told me she thought it was my thyriolds causing all the trouble but that dr i was seeing cause im not going back thinks im bipolar and i allready had a asscement done and they said i wasnt bipolar oh he made me so mad and another thing anytime i call he gets mad and said you have to stop calling so much well he got his wish im making one last call and telling them how i feel ,i know my body and how i feel and i told him what the drugstore told me about my symtons and said they said it sounded like i was overmedicated but instead he thinks im crazy well if my thyriold hormones are messed up how else would you feel and he dont know how we feel as he dont have thyriold illness oh well i kind didnt like him much anyway so is a gp a ok dr till i find a internal medicine dr or are either one just as good.
vickie

Old 06-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

well went to er and the dr told me i might be taking too much calicum but they also tested me for my heart and also my tsh im to call back at 10 tonight and get my tsh level and the calium and the heart thing i fell to the floor when i went in too so i still have that awlfull panic that i so wish would go away but iam changing drs and the dr in er i ask about the dr im going too and they said hes very good but i will see i thought my old dr was good too but he wasnt one bit helpfull to me im not going to a inpatient ward cause iam not crazy but he thinks iam ,,,,i will be back as soon as i get the results from hospital.cause allday my chest was hurting so bad i just wasnt feeling good at all so i had my husband take me to er.and they ran the tsh for me too.
vic

Old 06-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

Wow, i am sorry to hear about your trouble. You Dr was a jerk to suggest you go to inpatient.

Well, at least you got looked at in the ER. No wonder you are in a state, feeling like you have been. I am sure there is some physical basis for it. Hope your tests lead to some conclusion.

I'll check in later or tomorrow morning on your saga. Best wishes for a good night.

BTW, what are you taking calcium for and how much?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile Re: am i over medicated on levothyroxine??

well my tsh is the same 1.54 but heartrate was good it was 88 b/p was 127/69 i believe what happen was my panic i have severe panic disorder but i also have a appt with a endo june 28th i will keep this dr for now till i find a new one cause i will need my meds . i dont know whats going on i was just sitting here doing nothing and i start feeling bad my stomach starts hurting i get dizzy and my chests starts to hurt i should know the symtons by now but its not so easy i have the fear panic i never ever drive out of town alone i have zoloft so maybe i should start taking it they said it helps with panic also plus stress i did take them before for 3 mos and never had any side effects with them and believe me iam under alot of stress because i want my life back but i also started taking b-complex vit and as for the cal pills my sister is the 1 who told me to start taking them she said women need them so im dropping down to just 1 a day my mom was taking 3 and she had to drop down to 1 also too much cal can cause probs i never knew this .what i feel in the chest is right in between the breasts is a chilly like feeling and my left breasts hurts some but i did have my left ovary removed maybe thats why just the one hurts i didnt want to take a anti depressents but my brother takes them and so does my brother in law a sister and a few nieces so if it helps me guess i will start taking them tonight i will go to that psychiatrist assement not for inpatient though i will do the test like my dr wants and he will see im not bipolar it could be prei or even menopause after all i did lose 1 ovary and havent had a period since dec 2006 and it did stop me from wanting anything to do with my hubby but maybe that will change soon he understands he said he married me for better and for worse we been together 13 yrs so guess im not over medicated i really dont know even though my tsh is 1.54 doesnt mean im on the right dose does it? my sister is within range like me and shes on 100mcgs and im on 75mcgs i still feel like they are too high for me but my dr WONT listen to me he goes by my labs abnd hes a internal medicine dr with D.O by his name so he should be better hes good yes but the only trouble i have with him is if i call too much he gets mad and he wants me to be tested for bipolar which i could be since it does run in my family but i dont think thats what it is its either my thyriolds or menopause i did have a fsh test done and it said 47. something so not sure what that means ,i dont have the hotness i did have the crying and depression and thats why i went to the mental ward before but it could be my thyriolds if he'd just run the full scan but if not my endo is going to i go june 28th at 3pm .....so i am still confused but soon i will figure this out if im in menopause i wont take the hormone replacements the only thing i need is does anyone have any idea how to relieve the breast pain????
hugs to all vic

Closed Thread