It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

KimberlyV HB User
Could this be over medicating?

I have FINALLY found a doctor who is helping me get my thyroid levels where they should be. As of my last appt, my TSH levels were getting closer to normal, but there was still room to wiggle. I was feeling so much better, but I could tell I wasn't quite there yet. However, I was finally beginning to lose weight. At that appt, my doctor went ahead and upped my Levoxyl from 100 mcg to 125 mcg, since I still didn't feel I was at my best yet. Since taking the 125 mcg, (which I have now been on for 5 1/2 weeks), my weight loss has hit a wall, and I have actually gained a bit. I also have noticed a bit more aching in my legs. Could this be that I have gone up a little too much on my meds? I would tend to think that the closer to HYPERthyroid level a person is, the easier it would be to lose weight, but I have also heard that too much medicine can cause weight gain. Any ideas?

Old 06-12-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Could this be over medicating?

There are sooooo many variables to weight gain and loss that it would be unwise to pin all your hopes to thyroid treatment. If you read the experiences of people here for as long as I have been, you'd find that - for the most part - those who lose have not done it just by taking the hormone. Some find that taking the hormone helps make loss possible, but not generally all by itself. Others find they can only lose by exerting greater effort than needed than before they became hypo.

Not everyone who's hypo gains weight, and not everyone who's hyper loses. Therefore, anything can happen when you step on that scale until your thyroid levels become stable and optimal for you.

The best way to find your optimal level is to keep a symptom log, including your dosage and your free thyroid levels at each stage - not just your TSH. Otherwise, you'll keep guessing about whether you've reached or passed your best level, just as you're doing now. If you can't get your MD to test at least your FT4, he may not be serving you as best he could.
Good luck!

Last edited by midwest1; 06-12-2007 at 07:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

KimberlyV HB User
Re: Could this be over medicating?

I have been on Weight Watchers for almost 3 years now, so I am definitely making the effort to lose. . .just seems like the last couple weeks has hit a wall. Mostly started a couple weeks after I started the 125 mcg. I will be getting another test of TSH and T4 in a couple weeks, so I'll see how it looks then. I am hoping I have just hit a bump in the weight loss road and will start losing again soon. Thanks for your reply.

Closed Thread