It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

debratheartist HB User
lab results ;normal', hair falling out

hi everyone,

my labs are in:

tsh: 2.60 (.35-5.50)
total t3: 105 (60-181)
free t4: 1.0 (.07-1.5)

i hear my levels are normal but my hair has been falling out steadily for a year and half at least and very intolerant to cold, etc. i had a scalp biopsy and multiple other tests and all are in normal limits. why won't the doctors treat me with a bit of thyroid considering my symptoms? help. . . .

Old 06-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
Re: lab results ;normal', hair falling out

I'm right there with you. My hair has been falling out steadily for almost 2 years. My thryoid tests are normal too. I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia 1 year ago, but can't get my iron stored elevated.

Did your doctor check your iron and ferritin levels?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

the DREADED normal - - Don't give up sweetie We patients are our OWN best ADVOCATES

Have you taken (and printed) the Thyroid test, to the <<~ LEFT in red? Do you happen to have or can get OLD tsh tests that show 2.6 is higher than NORMAL for you?

The problem as I see it, is there is OFTEN room for improvement WITHIN those normal ranges. But so many Doctors have trouble treating SUBchinical Hypo-thy. I would educate yourself. Look up 5 books to have on this site, get one or more and READ. Keep knocking on Doctors doors with the hopes that you'll find one in the KNOW or who'll LISTEN

**hugs** to you both ~Sue

Old 06-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

debratheartist HB User

iron is normal, ferritin was low end of normal. i have all those sx on that low thyroid list. perhaps i should show the doctor? they just act like i'm crazy going on about this when it tests 'normal.'

Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
(female)

bittygirl HB User

Hi,
I feel for you on this one. Im going through the same thing with hair loss. It stoped when I was first treated within 2 weeks and stoped for about 8 months, now my hair is shedding big time again and I dont have hardly any left. Im at my wits end. I noticed that when my TSH is below 1, the hair loss stoped but if it gets above that it goes back. This is strange. I would ask your doctor to get your TSH down a little and it might help. Ferritin is another thing to check. Have you also checked your estrogen? Apparently that can make hair fall out to. I think the hair loss is the hardest part.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kmatthew HB User

Your Tsh looks high. My doctor likes it at 1
You may also want your testosterone checked. Mine was triple of what it should have been and my hair would fall out like crazy if you touched it. It has stopped now.
KM

Old 06-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hello all this is anightmare for us girls oh by the way you are going to have hair loss and you will put weight on yikes!!!
i have ha d low iron and ferritin and low cortisne im looking into it and im at a tsh of 3.1 im tire d an d i reckon i need to get to a better number the brain fog and fatigue is hard i shall keep you poste d with the progress lots of love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 06-14-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
(female)

debratheartist HB User

yeah, it's all checked out but i just got back more results that say i have antibodies against the thyroid but even with that he doesn't want to do anything cuz the levels are 'perfectly normal and wouldn't want to cause any more side effects.' what do the antibodies mean?

Old 06-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
(female)

boata HB User

Antibodies mean you have Hashimoto's - thyroid dysfunction. Find a doctor who will treat you! Also, ferritin that is on the low end of normal can alone cause fatigue symptoms. My doctor told me I was crazy for three years while my TSH climbed and my symptoms were clearly hypo. Then when my TSH was finally over the range - amazingly I was then considered hypo. There are doctors out there that know how to treat Hashis - but they can be few and far between. You are not crazy. Find the energy to stand up for yourself. Use a search engine to find out all you can about Hasimoto thyroid. If your current doctor will not treat - kick him to the curb.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
(female)

debratheartist HB User

oh. . . and my cortisol level is at .5 (4.3-22.4) and he said that was normal, even low it's rock bottom and out of range for adrenal function. low thyroid and adrenals anyone?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
(female)

Linda in TX HB User

Hi there,
I had a complete thyroidectomy in Nov. 2005 & 1 parathyroid gland removed. My hair came out before the surgery but now it seems to be coming out really bad too. I also am plagued with some dark facial hair - don't know if this is due to my thyroid or hormones in general being out of whack. I know that the hair loss is horrible. I know exactly what you are going through. The last time I was at my Dr's office - I said my hair is falling out bad - what is causing it? He said it is usually your thyroid but you don't have a thyroid & then he left it at that. Don't know what I should do either - any suggestions?
Linda in TX

Old 06-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi yes i have hypo thyroid low cortisone and a low ferritin of 37 it is all bad thing is the iron meds make us more hypo and in turn make us have more hair loss a no win situ plus i have low cortisone and thats a terrible hair loss thing i hate it and i dont go out anymor e ive been having this from the age of 29 i have 3 kid s and maybe i need a wig but hey if i find nice one i will go out more as long a s my kids dont pull it off rotflol sorry thats not funny but it is hair extensions can help a bit annoying im a hairdresser who woul want to have hair done by me with screwed up hair xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 06-15-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #13
(female)

Linda in TX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursie View Post
hi yes i have hypo thyroid low cortisone and a low ferritin of 37 it is all bad thing is the iron meds make us more hypo and in turn make us have more hair loss a no win situ plus i have low cortisone and thats a terrible hair loss thing i hate it and i dont go out anymor e ive been having this from the age of 29 i have 3 kid s and maybe i need a wig but hey if i find nice one i will go out more as long a s my kids dont pull it off rotflol sorry thats not funny but it is hair extensions can help a bit annoying im a hairdresser who woul want to have hair done by me with screwed up hair xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey,
I went to the Dr today - he is doing bloodwork on me. I told him about my hair - he said it sounds like my synthyroid needs to be upped - so he is checking into all of that again. I am so tired of this. I know you must be too. Have you ever been plagued with facial hair during all of this? I have been dealing with that too - but I think that is due to my hormones being messed up too - I told him about all of that to. We will see what happens. I agree with you - I wouldn't want to wear a wig either - besides - my Dr said this morning - "it's too hot to wear a wig" - here it has been 92 & 94 degrees everyday. I used to do hair too - & now I hate even looking at mine. Keep thinking about cutting it but haven't. Is your hair long or short?

Linda in TX

Old 06-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #14
(female)

Jacinda HB User

Hi Debra,
I have a similar problem. My TSH is 3.4 (0.3-5.0) considered normal here, and I have high Thyroglobulin Antibodies 153 (<34). I also have a few symptoms like very low energy, constipation and hair loss for about two years now. But my doctor won't treat me until my TSH rises to at least 4.00. She said it's because if treated too early I could get heart palpitations. I'm having another blood test in a couple of months time hoping my TSH has risen to 4.00. It seems ridiculous that I'm hoping to get sicker doesn't it?!
I wish you luck.
Jacinda

Old 06-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

my hair has been falling out in the clumps since march. it's pretty depressing to read that many of you have been going thru this for years. all my ranges were withing "NORMAL" ranges too. but have they checked your antibody? the one that checks if u have hashis or graves? now that i'm on 100mcgs of synthroid since may, my numbers are a bit off, hope to get them corrected soon. but before i even started on any meds, i felt real sick and no one would help me. until i went to see an endo who noticed that my antibodies are real high, with all normal ranges, and thats when i was given synthroid. i do feel alot better, except for right now...which i might be a little overmedicated. but sometimes it might be another problem why your hair is falling out. i also have thallesemia and all my ferritin, b12 levels are normal, but my blood level is low. i also read online how to care for your hair. like don't comb hair when it's wet, dont use hairties, etc. just ways to lessen more hair loss. i know it's depressing, hope u find someone who'll hear u out soon. goodluck

Closed Thread