It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
(female)

pwilson30662 HB User
Update...to all that replied to my previous post and any others that can offer info

Well, I saw the endocrinologist earlier this month. Although I am still left scratching my head not knowing the next step, I did find out some crucial information. First of all, it turns out that I was right in assuming I should discontinue the use of the tapazole previously prescribed by my regular MD. The endocrinologist said to stop it immediately. She said that looking at the scan and bloodwork my thyroid had shut down and she was very concerned with me taking the tapazole and was confused as to why it was prescribed in the first place. She had more bloodwork done and really couldn't tell me anything else. I got a letter in the mail a few days ago, and although they didn't send me the actual test results, she did say that my thyroid appears to be functioning normally. She wants me to have more bloodwork done in a few weeks because it is likely that it will become underactive again. I am confused though because my hair is falling out worse than ever, it is absolutely not able to be hidden anymore and everyday I'm losing HANDFULS. If my thyroid is functioning normally shouldn't the hair loss slow down? I am also having a lot of bad acne, and I have NEVER had a problem with this before. As far as the lymph node, she did notice that it was swollen (and it still is) but she didn't say anything about it.

I did get some of my old results on paper though. Here is what I have:
24hr uptake decreased at 1.3%
TSH 0.03
Free T4 2.17
Free T3 4.6
TRAB 1.7
TPO Ab 91
AntiTg Ab 228
I do not know what any of this means so if you can help me out please do so. Remember though that these are the old levels, the ones my regular MD had.

So I'm still confused, but I'm glad I had a professional agree with me about the tapazole. I guess it just goes to show that sometimes our instincts are correct.

Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User
Re: Update...to all that replied to my previous post and any others that can offer in

Pam,

How old are those labs? You didn't post the lab's normal ranges, so it's hard for an outsider to interpret labs for you.

Based on TPO Ab 91 and AntiTg Ab 228, I would guess that you have Hashimoto's disease.

These are the numbers my lab considers "NORMAL":

TSH: 0.40 - 5.50 if you are over 20 yrs age and not pregnant.
Free T4: 0.8 to 1.8 ng/dL
Free T3: 230 - 420 pg/dL

Your labs of
TSH 0.03 (seems LOW)
Free T4 2.17 (seems HIGH)
Free T3 4.6 (seems HIGH)

Seems like you have Hashimoto's, which sometimes fluctuates between hypo and hyper symptoms.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:31 AM   #3
(female)

pwilson30662 HB User
Re: Update...to all that replied to my previous post and any others that can offer in

You are right. At first I had just the TSH blood test done. She said those results were very abnormal so she sent me for the thyroid scan and uptake and had more bloodwork done. When all the results came back she said that I had hashimoto's. BUT she said my thyroid was actually overactive instead of underactive. The endocrinologist didn't say anything about hashimoto's, instead she said that it was postpartum thyroiditis. I think my regular MD was right on this one though. It all fits, Hashimoto's can start out as hyper, followed by a period of normal function, then eventually ending in hypo. So I went through the hyper, now I'm going through the normal period. The endocrinologist did order more bloodwork though for 4 weeks later to see where my levels are. I'm pretty sure I can expect them to show underactive thyroid function at that time.

Those labs were from 4/25/07. The TSH was done on 4/23/07.

Closed Thread