It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

amayajo HB User
blood sugar connected to hypothyroidism?

Dear all,

Here's my second question for the day:

Do you feel like you have low blood sugar related to your hypothyroidism? And do you have any knowledge of the connection?

I am about ten pounds overweight and have hypothyroidism. The #1 reason I have a difficult time going on even a very reasonable diet of any kind is that I start to feel like the core of me is so weak I can't stand it! The way I combat that bad feeling is to eat something that feels like it "grounds" me physically. Like a nice huge breakfast burrito. Eggs, cheese, tortilla, maybe some bacon. HEAVY foods. They make me feel solid and not weak, so I eat those. I wonder what all of this means.

Any thoughts?

One more from me: my mother is diagnosed with Hashimoto's and has the same bad reaction to dieting that I do. The one sister I have who does not have a thyroid problem and is a nurse tells me, "No, sister, I do not have that problem like you and Mom do. I think it's related to your thyroid, but I don't know why."

Help!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: blood sugar connected to hypothyroidism?

Hi, Blood sugar problems and thyroid problems do intertwine. I have been hypoglycemic for 10 years. Low blood sugar runs in my family. About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with Hashi's. My blood sugar problems before diagnosis with Hashi's became a lot worse. Even after diagnosis if my thyroid levels are off so is my blood sugar, if my thryoid levels are more stable my blood sugar levels are a lot more stable.
Many people find relief by following a hypoglycemic or low blood sugar diet. This means eating more whole grains, less processed foods, more veggies and staying away from sugar as much as possible. Caffine and alcohol also lower blood sugar so be careful with that.
A really good book to read is The Low Blood Sugar Handbook by Ed and Patricia Krimmel. This is a book written by a person with low blood sugar who did tons of research on it. It also lists foods to eat and foods to avoid.
Hope this helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
(female)

Liz1965 HB User

I have blood sugar issues (reactive hypogycemia) as well as low thyroid. My doctor says that my blood sugar should stabalize once the thyroid is under control. I've been taking Armour for about two months now, and I have been having fewer episodes of low blood sugar. I've also been monitoring my diet though, so it's hard to tell what causes what.

Liz

Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
(female)

amayajo HB User

Thanks for your replies! This is very helpful information. I will definitely check out the book and the diet too.

I was wondering if the sensation I was mentioning, the one of not having substantial enough food, is one that you have felt too. I distinguish it from just feeling shaky; I know when that kicks in that my blood sugar is low. This is less shakiness and more a need for fat. . .would that still be related to hypoglycemia, I wonder?

Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
(female)

amayajo HB User

Thanks for your replies! This is very helpful information. I will definitely check out the book and the diet too.

I was wondering if the sensation I was mentioning, the one of not having substantial enough food, is one that you have felt too. I distinguish it from just feeling shaky; I know when that kicks in that my blood sugar is low. This is less shakiness and more a need for fat. . .would that still be related to hypoglycemia, I wonder?
And have you felt this?

Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
(female)

amayajo HB User

And have you felt this?

Old 06-19-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

I recall that feeling. Its like you need a good substantial meal to make you feel good, just a snack doesn't do it.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
(female)

Liz1965 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayajo View Post

And have you felt this?

I too have had that feeling. I wonder if it's because fat slows the absorption of glucose into the blood stream. Maybe it's a conditioned response- the body knows that a high fat meal will even things out (stabalize blood sugar) or keep it from dropping for a longer period.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
(female)

amayajo HB User

Ok, it's great to know I'm not the only one who knows that feeling. Thanks for your replies.

I've started a food diary today to look at my patterns. . .I'm so heavy on carbs at the expense of other things sometimes. Time to look at that book. . .

Old 06-20-2007, 05:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Keeping a food diary and a diary of how you feel is a great idea.
Take care

Closed Thread