It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

littlemama1016 HB User
Hashimoto's and Hives

I've posted before on another thread about my husband having hives for almost 4 months. He's been now diagnosed with Hashimoto's but his thyroid levels are supposedly normal. He's still taking Zyrtec, allegra, tagamet, vistaril, levothyroxin and now they just added zyflo. I'm wondering if his thryoid levels are normal, why is he still having hives so badly as well as episodes of angiodema. Any takers on this one? Am I wrong to think that once his thyroid medicine level gets to the "right" levels on mg that perhaps his hives will disappear? They upped his levothyroxin to 100 mg now. Is that accurate thinking or just wishfull thinking, anyone? Also, anyone have any experience with this Zyflo medicine?

I'm still trying to understand all of this thryoid stuff so I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks!!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User
Re: Hashimoto's and Hives

The Hashimoto's is what is causing the hives. There are other people on here who have posted about this. I have a friend who had Hashimoto's with borderline hypothyroid for years and she had hives every year during the Spring and Summer seasons for a number of years. Once she started levothyroxine, the yearly bout with hives stopped. I hope the same for your husband.

Things to consider:
Too many prescriptions - what are all those medicines doing to his immune system?

Daily sunshine - boosts Vitamin D and the immune system (natural Vitamin D from sunlight and nutrition is best).

A healthy way of eating and 30 minutes exercise per day - boosts the immune system. Staying away from chemicals and genetically modified ingredients is better for those of us with compromised immune systems (Hashimoto's).

I'm seeing an acupuncturist for immune system treatment including treating my Hashimoto's. She told me it takes a long time to treat, but that she can help boost my immune system. So far I've had 7 treatments. I no longer need my Allegra or Prilosec. In fact, I've been doing so well lately, that I'm not using my Flonase (nasal spray for allergies) every day.

I hope your husband's hives subside soon, but ask him to consider taking care of himself differently rather than just popping yet another pill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Having "normal levels" may not be enough to eliminate the hives with Hashi's. It's not uncommon to need the TSH to be suppressed to levels lower than normal, such as below 0.1, in order for the skin symptoms to abate. Of course, the free hormone levels (free T3 & free T4) must be monitored as well, to ensure that these do not go over the top of the normal range while working towards TSH suppression.

Thyroid antibodies have potential to bind to the mast cells in the skin. When this happens, the antibodies act like an allergen, causing the skin to release histamine, which makes hives.

There are a couple of ways to reduce thyroid antibody production, and lessen the hives. One way is to provide enough thyroid hormone by pill that the thryoid essentially is suppressed. Another way to reduce antibody production is by administering steroids -- but that is rarely done for hives.

The majority of medical practitioners utilize a rather simplistic flow chart for making decisions about thyroid meds. It doesn't account for individual variations. Your DH might consult with an MD who is board-certified in allergy & immunology, who might work with -- explain the mechanisms, wherefores, etc.-- to the doc Rxng your DH's thyroid meds.

A final thought -- it's not uncommon for folks to react to the dyes in T meds, or to some other excipient (inactive ingredient), in a way that promotes hives. The dye problem, especially, is a frequent offender. Most brands of T4 meds are dye-free at the 50 mcg. dose, which can be taken in needed multiples for the RXd dose. I got hives from the 75 mcg. Synthroid tablet which is dyed mauve. When I switched to Levoxyl, 1.5 tabs of dye-free 50 mcg., the hives disappeared.

Best wishes.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
(female)

pockets HB User
Lightbulb Re: Hashimoto's and Hives

Elmhar
Thank you so much for that informative post. I have been trying to understand what the docs are telling me about my thyroid causing the issue with my hives for 2 months solid and counting and no one has been able to make me understand. Not that I'm stupid, but it just didnt make sense until you put it all out there. So, thank you.

Pockets

Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
(female)

Mar28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemama1016 View Post
I've posted before on another thread about my husband having hives for almost 4 months. He's been now diagnosed with Hashimoto's but his thyroid levels are supposedly normal. He's still taking Zyrtec, allegra, tagamet, vistaril, levothyroxin and now they just added zyflo. I'm wondering if his thryoid levels are normal, why is he still having hives so badly as well as episodes of angiodema. Any takers on this one? Am I wrong to think that once his thyroid medicine level gets to the "right" levels on mg that perhaps his hives will disappear? They upped his levothyroxin to 100 mg now. Is that accurate thinking or just wishfull thinking, anyone? Also, anyone have any experience with this Zyflo medicine?

I'm still trying to understand all of this thryoid stuff so I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks!!!!
I know what your husband is going through, because I have hives since August last year, and after so many tests, biopsy, and different doctors, the only thing that came up was Hashimoto Thyroiditis. The thyroid is working just fine, it's big, I am swollen all over, eyes, lips, hands, feet, and so far, nothing worked. It works when I start taking new prescription, but after one or two weeks, the hives come back again. I take Zyrtec, Atarax, Zantac, started Unythroid week ago, and the hives still here. It's frustating, I am taking Prozac to see if I can take my mind off of it.
The worse thing about going out, is when your face is swollen. Everybody look at you. The doctors say I can have this forever, or just like that, it can go away. We can go to the moon, but we don't have solution for hives from Hashimoto. Just crazy!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Mar, you've responded to a 7-month old thread, so the original poster is likely not going to see this.

However, there is something you can try for hives caused by the TPO antibodies which cause Hashimoto's. Exactly as Elmhar said, these antibodies are binding to your skin's mast cells and causing the allergic reaction. The key is to reduce the antibody count, and you can do that by taking enough thyroid hormone (such as Unithroid) to arrest the antibody activity. By gradually increasing the dose enough to shut off your gland's natural production of hormone, the antibodies will "think" there is no longer any thyroid tissue to attack.

Also, studies have proven that selenium supplementation can reduce TPO antibodies up to 40%. Taking 100-200 mcgs of selenium a day may be enough to improve the hives situation. Buy it in any health food or vitamin shop.

Don't expect conventional MDs to know any of this. That's why none of them has offered you much in the way of constructive help. As usual, they only know how to attempt to mask the symptoms. The most successfully treated thyroidies have learned to help themselves as much as possible.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
(female)

Mar28 HB User

Thanks midwest1

Sorry! I didn't pay attention to how old was the thread, I just saw somebody going to the same nightmare as I am, and I started answering. In some way, that helped me a lot. First, because you find out there are other people going to the same thing, and second because you talk to somebody that understand what is going on with you.
My endo dr gave me 0.05 mg daily of unithroid, and it's not working at all. I am going to call her today to let her know how I am.
I am getting very depressed because of the hives. The itching is horrible, I try not to scratch, but sometimes it's impossible, and when I do, the hive that started penny size, goes to a orange size, and itch even more.
I am going to try selenium and see what happens.
Thanks again, was nice of you.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
(female)

hyperitch5 HB User

Hi MAR28
I had a lengthy exchange yesterday with MG. In the "search" just enter hyperitch5 (my online name) and you can read about my daughter's itch and recent diagnosis of hyperthyroid.
Mom

Old 02-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Dito on Midwest's advice.

I have Hashi's and got some relief from my allergist and dermatologist. I have progesterone pills for when the flares get real bad. Normal 1 -2 days of 20 mg will cause things to get under control. Daily I use Metrogel for rosecea and Elidel for exyzma. Things did get a bit better when I added a Selenium containing multivit.. but my antibodies still climbed into over drive. My greatest relief came from just taking my starting dose of Synthroid 50 mcg. I am on 75 mcg of synthroid now and things are still improving.

MG

Hi, hyperitch!

Last edited by mkgbrook; 02-13-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
(female)

hyperitch5 HB User

Hi MG,
Her levels are going down but we are still having the bouts of itching. her skin gets red, but not necessarily hives. It is a head to toe itch. She takes Atarax 20 mg to control it. I am having the L Cartdine(sp) checked also by her Pediatrician. I will read over this thread more and see if I can get some other ideas for the Docs to check. it seems that the itch is aggravated by tomatoe products and strawberries - we have been staying away, but it is hard to turn away a pizza on occasion. But even when she avoids these for long periods it has not eliminated the tich that comes from nowhere. I also think that heat and even getting excited may provoke it. Does this make sense at all?

How are things with you?

Hyperitch5

Closed Thread