It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

tonishere HB User
half a thyroid??? Meds??

I just got back from the surgeon and he suggests only taking half of the thyroid, I asked if that is better than taking all of it at one time instead of going back if it comes back cancer. He said that it is 80% that it will be non-cancerous, so he would rather do the half now. He said it was less risky for the laryg. nerve and all.
So my questions are if you have had this is it even easier than the whole out, or would I still need meds. (I have a normal functioning thyroid now).?? My surgery is scheduled for the 12th of July...keep me in your prayers..! ;0
thanks for listening.
tonishere

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
(female)

Jena50 HB User
Re: half a thyroid??? Meds??

I had thyroid surgery in 2004 and did very well. I had a 3.5 cm cyst removed that was non-cancerous . I do have a half of thyroid left that is functioning very well so far . I got back next year to the tyroid doctor to have a blood test . If any help you can call the Thyroid FoundiationOf America in Boston and they can help you with more questions . I cannot post there web site , but you can ****** it an find it on the web .

My right lobe is working normally also and I do not take meds now . Usually the doctor will not take the whole thyroid out if it is not cancouse they do not like to do that . You would have to take meds if they take the thryoid out .

May I was why are you having surgery ? Do you have a cyst on the thyroid now .?? If I can be of anymore please let me know . I wrote an article for there newletter about my surgery and was published .

I will keep you in my prayers on July 12th.

All the best

Jena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

I also had a partial thyroidectomy (right lobe) due to a suspicious nodule. The fine needle biopsy indicated that it contained 'type A' pre-cancerous cells and thus it had to come out. The full biopsy from the surgery confirmed that diagnosis, that it was suspicious but not yet malignant. My doctor explained it to me in full medical terms (which of course I didn't have a clue what he was talking about) and then broke it down in a simpler explanation that I could better grasp. He said that the lab results from the surgery indicated that many characteristics of malignancy were present, but not all characteristics to make it cancerous. He indicated that it most likely was in the "late stages" of pre-cancerous. Would it have turned malignant? or would it have always remained just "suspicious"? No one knows. At any rate, they did only a partial on me and I have had no problems with any kind of reoccurance in over 4 years. Based on my own experiences, and on the reseach I have done since then, I would guess you will be fine with a partial also. Usually they pause surgery for a short time to run a lab while you are out on the table, if there is any indication from the lab that there could be a cancerous situation, they take the whole thyroid. I'd follow my doctor's advice if I were you.

Best of luck to you. I was one of the fortunate ones that healed very quickly from my surgery and was back at work within a few days. Hope you are too!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

We have to remember that people are different.

Fall 05, I had one non-cancerous enlarged Thy lobe removed. My Endo was uncomfortable with the growth. Surgeon said its easier to get them out cleanly (no damage to vocal cords, etc) if its done sooner rather than wait for it to get bigger. (could only see slight puffiness in neck by then) I also have a small nodule in remaining lobe.

I take Thyroid meds also

Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
(female)

tonishere HB User

Jena,
I had a mass, cystic like. FNA said there was some possible follicular neoplasms. (?) then I had the scan and it was a cold area. So that is why they are taking the L area out. He (surgeon) is going to try it endoscopic so less scar, but he also said he really cannot feel the nodule so it may be behind or down near the collar bone.
They will send it out for biopsy and let me know if cancerous.
This is really kinda scarey though, I am calm about the cancer thing and most everything else. But the surgery itself is kinda making me wracked out. As you notice it is 1am EST and here I sit awake.
Well thats it, I am so glad that there is others that have done this it does give me comfort.
Thanks
toni

Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
(female)

tonishere HB User

I want to acknowledge Redmaple and Sue for writing some comments, they do help!!
I am trying to relax, but that is like even in normal case for me is very hard.
But thanks for your help!!!
toni

Closed Thread