It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

maisy309 HB User
Expired Synthroid

Within the last month or so, I started having "issues" with my thyroid levels... anxiety, palpitations, fatigue,....We went on vacation at the end of May and I took a Synthroid sample pack with me to take while we were gone. After I got home I realized that the tablets had expired a year ago. Just wondering if this could have caused the symptoms I started having. I only took about 5 or so of them. Another question....about how long does it take for the synthroid to get in your system and you start feeling better after a dosage change?
Thanks!

Old 07-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User
Re: Expired Synthroid

i don't know about the expired meds but i do know that it usually takes 4-6 weeks for the system to actually start working on the meds. that's why my doctors always say come back within the 4-6 weeks to check levels. i know that most meds are still good after expiration dates, but i'm not sure how long after expiration. hope you find the answer. goodluck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I agree that most meds are still good for various amounts of time after expiration, but thyroxine is more unstable than most chemicals. I doubt that the tablets are still fully potent a year after the exp date. I suspect that's the major contributor to your problems.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User

Maisy,

I had a similar problem with ineffective medicine, that I took for 13 days. My endo and his nurse both told me that the medicine is generally considered effective for up to 6 months past the expiration date. It is, however, very susceptible to heat damage and should be stored between 68 and 77 degrees at all times. Minor increases or decreases in temp for short periods of time may be acceptable.

Thirteen days of ineffective medication is enough to set you back pretty far. I'm not sure if 5 days is all that bad. I had a major return of my symptoms and I've yet to fully recover. I'm 4 weeks into my unexpired pills.

My endo also told me it takes 1 week for the medicine to start working and 6 weeks to reach it's full potential. So, if you had any labs scheduled for 6 weeks away, I'd try to postpone for another week to allow for those 5 days of practically being unmedicated.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Closed Thread