It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
low adrenal function & thyroid meds

I just got my thyroid prescription filled & the instructions are not to take if you have low adrenal function. Did you have your adrenals tested b/4 taking your meds for hypoT? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: low adrenal function & thyroid meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi2 View Post
I just got my thyroid prescription filled & the instructions are not to take if you have low adrenal function. Did you have your adrenals tested b/4 taking your meds for hypoT? Thanks.
Hi Sammi,

There are certain clinical hallmarks of low adrenal function that an astute doc will check for on physical exam. I have a number of those, so my doc did run a random cortisol along with a chem panel which includes sodium & potassium levels.

I had no trouble with T4 meds, however I later was found to need T3 as well. Taking a T3 med with low adrenal function is tricky, and in most cases not recommended. However, docs are slow to process the meaning of intermediate levels of adrenal function, as their flow charts are written only to take into account the life-threatening adrenal crisis scenario of Addison's Disease.

If you have any symptoms of Addison's disease or even adrenal fatigue, by all means ask your doc for testing. The most discriminating test would be a low-dose ACTH or Synacthen challenge. However, even an a.m. fasting cortisol can provide useful information.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

The notification on the medication instructions refer strictly to adrenal insufficiency, that is, Addisons.

I don't know that it is routine in any medical setting that I have encountered to inquire about one's adrenal status. My first dr put me on levothyroxine without any of my medical records, aside from the TSH test indicating I was hypo and never questioned me. Adrenals were not addressed by any other the other practitioners I saw.

I presume drs are looking for classical Addisons symptoms that may be evident upon physical examination. So, I also presume, if they don't see them, they are not going to pursue it further.

In any event, as you will learn from reading here, adrenal fatigue/exhaustion, can interfere with thyroid hormone treatment. And many people here have sought to investigate this avenue through the, best way apparently, 24 hour saliva test. In the event that there is adrenal fatigue, many practitioners who recognize this as a legitimate medical concern, will put patients on cortef.

However, adrenal fatigue is not widely accepted in mainstream medicine. So, if you talk to your dr, and if he/she is mainstream, and does not subscribe to the belief that adrenal fatigue is a legitimate medical concern, you may expect to get the appropriate response, that there is no concern with taking the thyroxine unless you have clinical addisons.

That is not to say that you should not at least bring it up with your dr to see what he/she says.

Just trying to give you the skinny on adrenals and thyroid hormone treatment and the contraindications you are referring to.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

m,m hi all elmhar would you are to elaborate on those hall marks of adrenal problems i have had a few very low boderline results and im really tired right now hey and hi do you remeber me katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx how ar e youxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

Hi,

This is the main low cortisol symptoms that I can come up with:

continuing hypo symptoms with a high free T3, or high amount of Armour
*shaky hands; shakiness
*diarrhea
*bad palps
*feeling of panic
*weakness
*inability to handle stress
*inability to handle interactions with others
*inability to focus
*rage or sudden angry outbursts
*emotionally hyper sensitive
*overreacting
*highly defensive
*feeling paranoid
*exacerbated reactions to daily stress
*no patience
*easily irritated
*mild to severe hypoglycemic episodes
*taking days to recover from even minor stress
*taking days to recover from a dental visit
*flu-like symptoms
*headache
*all over body ache
*super-sensitive skin
*extreme fatigue
*scalp ache
*hyper feeling
*jittery
*clumsy (drop things, bump into things)
*confusion
*suddenly feel extremely hungry
*low back pain
*dull
*cloud-filled head (happens when this patient is due for a next cortisol dose)
*jumpiness
*muscle weakness
*”air hunger”
*dizziness
*light headedness
*motion sickness
*coffee putting patient to sleep
*vomiting even running up the slightest incline
*almost passing out every time patient gets up
*dark circles under my eyes
*waking up in the middle of the night for several hours
*difficulty falling asleep
*frequent urination
*IBS symptoms
*worsening allergies

If suspecting low adrenal function I would DEFINITELY want a 24 hr saliva test before starting thyroid meds. On looking back, wish I knew what I know now, I had low adrenal function, was missed by docs even though I asked repeatedly about the possiblility, was put on armour and caused a complete blow out of what was left of my adrenals. Could have been completely avoided by treating my adrenals for a couple of weeks prior to starting the armour. Now because of that, I've spent the past two years trying to heal and revive my poor adrenals.

Deb

Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

deb you are a really appreciated memeber of this board and so says me and alot of others i bet what a diamond!!! xx
thanks i think i have a lot of theese ones but in different phases and not as bad but i id have my salive tests abck the morning ones were normal to hihg then the nite times one were both right at the bottom of the range i do get shakey i do have awfull plaps but i have just had to have inhalers and they make the levels go up now comin back down of them i have had horrible side affects like breathless shakey hungry ibs tired sleep so long and ont want to get out of be dint he morn and hyper feelings its horrid yet my results are so strange i thought they ,may have been the other way round and not so good in the morning?????? thanks deb i have nasty palps with chest pain a nd my hands go so cold and i feel so cold and tired yet the anxiety nd heart rate are through the roof dont know whats goin on but none of my drs will help with theese results its strange how theese are ok yet all the bloods i had were out of range in the morn or right at the bottom?????? love form katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 07-11-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Closed Thread