It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

RAINIE73 HB User
Red face Help with Ultrasound Results!!!

Hi Everyone! On June 29th, my doctor called me and gave me my results from my thyroid ultrasound and said that I had thick denisity of my thyroid suggesting a past goiter. He said he still didn't feel there was anything wrong with my thyroid.

Well I asked to have the report faxed to me and I just received it. On the report, under the radiologists Impression, he stated the following: "There are not focal nodules, however, the echogenicity of the thyroid is heterogeneous suggesting mild diffuse disease such as seen with a goiter."

Ummmmm...... does this not read that there is a problem??? I am kinda baffled now!

I did have an appointment with my cousin who is a neurologist last week. After looking at all of my bloodtest results, he didn't think there was a thyroid problem either, but did feel that something definately is not right. He suggested sending me to the Detroit Medical Center, which I have heard is a good place to go. Also, I have an appointment with the endocrinologist next week, so I am going to give him this report from my ultrasound. I now feel that I am armed with something! Am I?

Also, I went to the OBGYN and had an ultrasound for my ovaries and they found 3 large ovarian cysts (each a little larger than golf balls), so I am scheduled for Lap surgery and drainage on Aug 7th. Wish me luck!

Thanks so much Lorraine (Rain)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User
Re: Help with Ultrasound Results!!!

Hello, how about your thyroid blood work?

What did that show? Can you post those results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
(female)

RAINIE73 HB User

Hi! Here is the last bloodwork I had. The doctors all say its in the range, but you know doctors!

ALT (SGPT) 30 [10-50]
AM CORTISOL 17.4 [6.0-30.0]
AST (SGOT) 24 [15.40]
VIT B12 317 [>180]
SODIUM 134 [135-143]
POTASSIUM 4.5 [3.5-5.3]
CHLORIDE 99 [95-110]
CO2, TOTAL 26 [22-34]
ANION GAP 9 [5-20]
GLUCOSE 126 [70-100]
BUN 13 [7-21]
CREATININE 0.58 [.40-1.10]
GFR, NB 127 [>60]
CALCIUM 9.4 [8.7-10.2]
FSH 5.7
T4, FREE 0.75 [.60-1.50]
LUTEINIZING HORMONE 29.8
LIPIDS
CHOLESTEROL 349 [100-199]
TRIGLYCERIDES 748 [50-149]
HDL 26 [40-59]
CHOL/HDL RATIO 13.4 [4.0-6.0]
MYOGLOBIN 13 [14-66]
PROGESTERONE 0.8
PROLACTIN 15.2
T3, TOTAL 106 [87-190]
T3 UPTAKE 39 [33-45]
T4 7.2 [5.0-11.5]
CK, TOTAL 69 [25-180]
TESTOSTERONE 67 [14-76]
TSH 1.82 [0.34-5.00]
MICROALB URINE 17.7
ALB/CREAT RATIO 83.1 [<30]
DHEA-SULFATE 91 [35-430]
THYROID BINDING GLOB 18.2 [14.0-31.0]
THYROID ANTIBODIES
MICROSOMAL AB <10 REF RANGE <40
THYROGLOBULIN AB <20 REF RANGE <40
THYROGLOBULIN QUANT 17 REF RANGE 2-60

My doctor sent me for the ultrasound, even though he said my levels were fine, but I told him that when I had the goiter as a child, that my blood levels were fine. I have so many symptoms that fall under the underactive catagory. Its just getting a doctor who will listen! I do have a check up with my family doctor next week, so I am going to discuss my results with him. I also have an appointment with an endo next week, so I'll see what he says too.

Thanks so much Rain

Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
(female)

RAINIE73 HB User

Hi again! I was just wondering if the result from the ultrasound would be an indication of a thyroid disorder that could cause all sorts of symptoms. I know even though the doctors say my blood tests are in normal range, that they can still be on the lower or higher side. That was the reasoning on why my doctor did send me for the ultrasound because I told him that when I was a child, that my bloodwork was normal, but I had a goiter.

Thanks so much and take care!!! Rain

Old 07-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Rainie...............You need to see another doctor that knows what he is doing. Your Free T4 is at the very bottom of the range. He didn't test your Free T3, only your Total T3. It is at the lower end of range so your Free T3 would be even lower. You are hypothyroid and probably have Hashimoto's. Your antibodies are not over the range, but the fact that you have antibodies at all makes me think that you probably do.

Did he not even mention your glucose? It is high and you need to be checked for diabetes. Your cholestrol and triglycerides are dangerously high. Your HDL (good cholestrol is too low). Your cholestrol ratio is very high. I would be as concerned about all this as much as your thyroid.

Hypothyroidism can raise your cholestrol. You certainly need thyroid meds too. Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
(female)

RAINIE73 HB User

Hi Shmily,

Thanks so much! I am thinking of making an appointment with another doctor. I was looking at the list of doctors out of a pretty good hospital in my area and seen a doctor who specializes in thyroid. It seems like all the doctors I have seen lately look at everything besides thyroid. Well except for my family doctor who finally listened somewhat and did send me for the ultrasound. I have a check up with him on Monday. I am going to talk to him and see if he will agree to let me try a low dose of thyroid medicine. I also have an appointment with the endo dr next thursday. So I would like to see what he says. If not, I will try and find another doctor.

As far as my sugar and choles. go, I am diabetic and do take medicine on a regular basis. My fasting/ or morning reading is usually elevated. That result on the those blood test was even higher than it normally is. Most mornings it is 120-160, but I do check it at different times throughout the day and it is usually pretty good. I know that each time I tell the doctor that too, they usually check it right there and it is in an acceptable range. Since those results also, I have been trying to watch my diet even more and have managed to take off 20lbs. As far as my cholesterol goes, it has been very high for as long as I can remember(I'd say since maybe 18-20). I have tried many meds for that and each gives me pretty bad leg cramps. I am on omacor (fish oil) and it did drop my trig., in half. I keep telling the doctors that thyroid and cholesterol go hand in hand. I had one doctor get rude and ask- 'where did you hear that from?'. I no longer see her! You know, I read a pretty good article last week (of course I can not find it again now!) It stated that if your thyroid is not functioning right, that not only will you have a hard time controlling your cholesterol, that you will also have a hard time controlling your diabetes. This was the first time I read this. I need to try and find that again, so I can print it up and take it to the doctors.

I would have to say my diet is pretty good most of the time. (I am human and do go over on occassions, say once every few weeks) I stay to 45 carbs per meal and 30 per snack. But on the days I may go a little over, my blood sugar is not much different than a normal day.

I just need to keep searching for a good doctor and keep bugging my current family doctor. I really hope he will listen to me next week. I just think that with the report stating 'the echogenicity of the thyroid is heterogeneous suggesting mild diffuse disease such as seen with a goiter.' that it says I have an abnormal thyroid.

I wonder if there is something I should say to the doctor to convince him? Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for listening! Rain

Closed Thread