It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
Synthroid & Muscle Pains..my Endo Doesn't Believe It

I wrote about the terrible muscle pains I was getting from taking Synthroid. This went on for years. I had doctors tell me it was caused by Fibromyalgia. Well I decided to stop taking all meds and the pain had subsided. I started on Synthroid again and the pains came back. I insisted that my Endo give me Armour. He did, and after about two months of dose adjustments and me getting use to the Armour, I have been feeling as good as I did when I was in my 20's. Lets hope it lasts. Anyway my doc still refuses to believe Synthroid was the cause of my problems. I posted my problems with synthroid about 6 months ago and got about 10 responses from people who also had muscle and body pains from synthroid. I am asking you reply with your experiences again so I can print them out and show them to my doctor. I also want to write the FDA to tell them that muscle pains should be added to the list of side effects for synthroid. I don't want anyone else to go thru what I did. Pain for years thinking I had Fibro, arthritis or Neuropathy. Also the different doctors I went to to find the cause of my muscle and body aches that sometimes were so bad, I could not function. Please,. if you have had these symptoms from synthroid please reply to my post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to builder For This Useful Post:
stevo629 (06-21-2012), tatinicolson (06-12-2012)
Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Synthroid & Muscle Pains..my Endo Doesn't Believe It

Rstarre,

Did you ever have your free T3 level checked while you were on the Synthroid? When the fT3 is low, muscle aches are common. But checking it now while on the Armour wouldn't prove anything, as the Armour supplies T3 med.

Most docs are schooled to believe that an adequate free T4 level automatically confers an adequate T3 level, however there are cases where the expected does not occur, and free T3 remains low despite adequate free T4. Likely there is a glitch in the enzyme that converts the T4 into T3. Sometimes even having a high T4 level, alone, will set up a negative feedback loop to reduce conversion to T3 -- sort of a protective mechanism, perhaps.

I suppose it's also possible that your muscles could have been reacting to something else, like a filler in the Synthroid. Skin rash from the color in all but the 50 mcg. tabs is not uncommon.

I'm glad you're doing better with the Armour.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

When I was on Synthroid I had to take Advil daily (the last few years) for all kind of muscle aches and pains. It gradually got worse every year. I was on Synthroid for 25 years after my thyroid was destroyed by radiation therapy for Hodgkin's disease.

On Armour Thyroid (for 13 months so far), I rarely have any muscle aches and pains and also very few headaches.

Looking back at my lab reports my free T3 (every time it was tested, wich was seldom) was always at the bottom of the range; even when my Synthroid dose was so high that my TSH was very low and my free T4 was high the free T3 remained low. The doctors seemed to have ignored this.

I kept complaining over and over again (it's all right there is the doctors progress notes) how tired I was and kept gaining weight despite trying to lose. They just labeled me obese and kept testing the TSH and T4 and re-adjusting the Synthroid up or down. They told me I was getting old (in my 30's and told me not to eat so much). They never believed that I was not eating too much and was always trying to lose weight.

I didn't even bother complaining about muscle aches anymore; I took that as a "given" and took the Advil daily usually when I first got up and again in the afternoon.

I spent over 2 decades feeling lousy on Synthroid and blaming myself for how tired and fat I was. Most days were a struggle; I had to use the little bit of energy I had everyday very wisely. I am slowly getting my life back after the lousy medical "gold standard" treatment.

( REMOVED - PLEASE REVIEW THE POSTING POLICY ) I was trained to trust doctors. Not anymore.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-18-2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: peer sharing only

Old 07-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Wow your stories are very interesting and caught my eye... I have major muscle aches. My dr told me it was because I am now hypo due to radiation treatment for Graves. But I will say that they seem to get much worse whenever I increase my meds and they never go away no matter where my numbers are at. My dr does not test the FT3 levels either. But I am going to ask him next month to do so at my next appt...

I also really don't have any trust any longer for any dr's. I have seen so many of them in the past year and really have not received any solid answers as to why I feel so badly. And I have not felt any different or any better no matter what treatment they try either. I am on the medical merry go round as I like to call it.

I just had endoscopy done yesterday due to major chest pains for the past year and stomach issues. Also had gallbladder removed this last Dec with extensive adhesions on the omentum and transverse colon. NOW they say I have Duodenitis according to the results yesterday. Sorry to get off subject and carry on but it is very frustrating these dr's! Uggg

Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
(female)

cybercat117 HB User

I also have had terrible joint and muscle pain for years...phantom pain- travelling from place to place...I also thought I had arthritis...I'm still on Synthroid but my dosage was increased 6 months ago and the pain has lessened quite a bit...due for another bloodwork up any time, so fine tuning the meds may be in order.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
(female)

baseballmom24 HB User

I just went to a horrible endo yesterday, first time. He told me that my aches and pains as well as feeling exhausted all the time are from the weight I've gained. I won't be seeing him again. Every question that I had printed and brought (that I got off these boards) with me he gave the wrong answer to. He was a complete jerk. Only uses Synthroid and tried to scare me about other meds. Told me the whole line about armour being from cows, why would I put something like that into my body etc, then told me that if I took it in five years I would need valves in my heart replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Armour is from pigs I believe, not cows. This doctor doesn't even know that?

Old 07-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
(female)

Ozlady HB User

Hi rstarre, Just looking at the medication info sheet on Oroxine (thyroxine sodium) which I believe is the same as Synthroid and it lists muscle weakness and cramps as a side effect.

Cheers
Pam

Old 07-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
(female)

baseballmom24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarre View Post
Armour is from pigs I believe, not cows. This doctor doesn't even know that?
Nope. That's what he said "It's made from cow thyroid" he was such an idiot.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Gosh no brains no pains so they say! lol.. It's a wonder how some of these dr's can even call themselves dr's or be licensed. I had a run in with my 1st endo which was kind of the same. Well this guy was just very arrogant and full of himself I thought. And come to find out my daughters 1st grade teacher also had a run in with this same dr. So it wasn't just me thinking he was rude!!!

He actually told her that she was wasting his time in front of her husband she said and also that he told her there were other people much sicker than she was. JERK!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

I too have muscle/joint aches and pains, especially my shoulders. I am currently taking synthroid for T4 with a bit of cytomel to supplement my T3. This combination seems to make me feel the best I have been in several years. In the past, I have taken synthroid alone, Armour, and other medications to relieve the lingering symptoms of hypothyroidism. In my case, my personal belief is not that the synthroid, or other medications are causing the aches and pains, but rather unresolved symptoms of hypothyroidism itself. Hypothyroidism causes muscle aches, and the lack of the right medication for each individual's needs allows the hypothyroid symptoms to continue. It seems like you have found the right medication for you in Armour to relieve your hypo symptoms including the aches and pains. Others do very well relieving symptoms including muscle/joint pain with synthroid, or other T4 only medications.

For me, Armour caused more unpleasant symptoms than just aches and pains, unfortunately it did not relieve those either. I tried other T4 only medications, and also no relief of the muscle aches. However, my current combination of synthroid and cytomel is good for the most part. I do however get muscle aches and pains when I overuse them, significantly more than I did when prior to my hypothyroidism. In fact, I am nursing my right shoulder right now--I foolishly moved a planter on my patio that was way to heavy for me. My impatience got the better of me to wait until my hubby got home to do it for me. I used to be able to move all my planters around without any muscle problems prior to being hypo.

By the way, the planter loooks terrific where I put it... eventhough I suffer with a sore shoulder, I'm delighted with my patio...

Good luck to you too as you find just what is right for you in relieving your hypo symptoms.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Hi Deb!

I agree the muscle/joint aches are likely caused by the thyroid disorder itself, unless a person has arthritis. I don't think the med is to blame either way.

I was hoping my remaining (minor) shoulder pain would be relieved with an optimal dose of Levothroid, but my TSH lab yesterday came back at .53 and I can't say the pain is 100 percent gone.

I'm still waiting to hear what he will say, thinking about what my response might be, especially if he wants to cut my dose.

I'm loving hearing about your gardening experiences, except for the part where you injured yourself. Cut that out, please.

Closed Thread