It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

seiker0808 HB User
too much thyroid medicine, fainting, high heart rate?

I don't know what to do, I am starting to feel desperate. Back in January, I was put on synthyroid and gradually that dosage was increased until finally I was put on.112 once a day. I lost 60 pounds but continued to feel weak and faint. I never got energetic, as my doctor told me I would.

I live on the East coast but in 3 weeks I am supposed to fly to LA to have facial surgery for Bells Palsy. I wanted my weight to be as low as it was going to be for the surgery, so I started taking 2 of the thyroid pills a day for about a week and I did quickly lose 8 more pounds.

But my fainting has gotten so much worse that last Monday I quit taking my meds at all.

I had told my doctor, back in May, when I was taking my meds as directed, that I was fainting a lot, but I also told him I have been prone to fainting all of my life, which is true, but I told him this is much worse than usual and that I was worried about having the surgery with this fainting. He said his son faints a lot and that I'll be lying down for the surgery and not to worry.

Well this past week has been awful. I've had to sit in the shower to wash my hair. I couldn't walk around in the grocery store without sitting down several times (i'm fine sitting down; it's just when I'm standing up)...I went to the gym to work out on the exercise bike and just when I sat down, the bike counted my pulse as 154 I had just walked up the steps to get to the bike).

Today I went to the grocery store with my husband and I sat while he shopped. A few yards away from where I was sitting was one of those blood pressure machines. I took my blood pressure and it was 80/50. My pulse was 123, just from sitting! Then my husband said, this must be wrong, and he took his and it was 139/93 and his pulse rate was 85.

Anyway, I don't even know if this IS because of doubling up on the thyroid medicine or not and I DONT want to confess to the doctor that I did this for a week. And I don't see how I can have surgery in 3 weeks. Please tell me what to do!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User
Re: too much thyroid medicine, fainting, high heart rate?

Hi,

First off, never never double up on your meds like that, very dangerous. You caused yourself to go hyper. Very luck you didn't end up in the ER. Why was it so important to have your weight at it's lowest for your surgery? Is there not a doctor anywhere that is concerned or at least trying to find out why you continue to have fainting spells? I use to faint easily as a child and turned out I was anemic, iron pills solved it. I would have your iron and ferritin levels checked.

Have you ever had your adrenals tested? The continuing to be weak even after on thyroid meds can be a symptom. I think the fainting can be as well. I have adrenal fatigue and I also remained very weak even after treating the thyroid and that did not get better until I started treating the adrenals with cortisone. I would wash my hair and literally have to go to bed for awhile as it completely exhausted me.

Are you having any hypo symptoms yet since being off meds? Bad as I know you hate to but I think you really need to talk to your doc about what you have done and get his help in getting you lined back out. You need to be as stable as possible for your surgery. The only other option is wait until you feel hypo and then start back on meds, and it could be you will have to start at a lower dose and work your way back up, but I really really think you need to talk to your doc. With the surgery coming up it's really important your doc is aware of what is going on. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Hope you get to feeling better soon and I hope you surgery goes well.

Deb

Old 07-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

seiker0808 HB User

Thanks so much. I did request a test for anemia in March because I have had anemia before and it did result in fainting. But, at least in March I didn't have anemia.

I didn't realize this could have to do with my adrenal glands. Maybe this is more complex than I realized...

But if it DOES have to do with my doubling my dose temporarily, does anyone know how long it takes for the extra thyroid to get out of my body Thanks for your help...

Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
(female)

3sweeties2005 HB User

Another question for you was did the dr adjust your medication after you lost 60 lbs or did you lose the wt and your medication was then adjusted. Because a significant wt loss such as 60lbs would probably dramatically effect your thyroid dosage need. You really need to follow up with your dr.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Sorry, I didn't realize until now you had double-posted. Here is my reply from your other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBeth View Post
I'm sitting here wondering once again why anyone would think it is ok to change the dose of a prescription medicine for his or her self or even why anyone would take an OTC med outside of package directions. To my knowledge, we really only get one life here on this earth. I want as much time as I can get here to try to get it right, so it's very hard for me to understand why people do things deliberately which could cut theirs short.

I am glad you didn't lose your life overdosing on a thyroid med, but you very well could have. Please don't ever do that again, with any med.

And now you say you are afraid to tell the doctor what you did? You would rather take another chance with your life rather than admit you did a very foolish thing? I just don't get that.

You asked for suggestions, so here is mine ... tell your doctor exactly what you did and for how long. Your life may depend on being honest about this.

/walking away, shaking head, praying for you ....

Old 07-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
(female)

seiker0808 HB User

I admit that it was dumb...I have always had a rather cavalier attitude towards drugs, but I guess, no more....especially if this is what has caused my symptoms.

To answer another question someone asked, I have been dosed up all along, with the highest dose being given as I've lost the most weight. But the doctor has checked my blood levels to see that I actually need more medicine.

I guess I have not been forceful enough with him about my fainting and lethargy.
He also has me on Neurontin, Topomax, Fiorinal, Zoloft, Zomig, Amitryptiline, and Allegra D, but I have been on those forever, so I guess it is none of those...

Anyway, does anyone know how long it takes for the extra thyroid to leave?

Finally, I would like to apologize for the double post.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The half-life of T4 is about 7 days, meaning half of what you took will still be present a week from now. In 3 weeks, you should be mostly back to normal (or low again, depending on how hypo you remained or didn't from the prescribed dose).

I won't be really hard on you, but you must tell your doctor what you did. You cannot go into surgery in a hyperthyroid state; too much thyroid hormone will directly affect the anesthesia requirement and can cause heart arrhythmia - clearly something you don't want to happen.

I can't help but see that you take a lot of other medications, and so I have to wonder how many of your other conditions might be directly linked to your hypothyroidism and therefore would resolve if your thyroid needs would be optimally met. Bell's palsy, for example, can have its roots directly planted in low thyroid levels. No expert about BP, but doesn't it usually resolve without as aggressive treatment as surgery?

I dunno... but I have my suspicions you've been hypothyroid for a lot longer than since January, and that if you waited it out long enough, some of your conditions would improve without such aggressive means.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
(female)

seiker0808 HB User

I appreciate your insights. I on the other meds for migraines...and the surgery isn't to correct Bells Palsy...It is to align my face so the BP is less noticeable.

I got BP once in 1998 and was left with a very droopy face (on the right side); then got it again last year on the other side and that side isn't too noticeable.

I agree, I can't get the surgery as I am today. I am just hoping I will be a lot better. My sister says they won't operate if my blood pressure is too low.

I guess I will go get some blood work done this week and see what it reveals. I am depressed; just when I was psyched to finally look human again.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

kmatthew HB User

If you do have adreanl problems, what you did could have a very damaging result. You need to tell your doctor what you did, and get it straight before you attempt to have a surgery.

I will pray for you as well.
KM

Old 07-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
(female)

seiker0808 HB User

Thanks,I will let you know what happens. I have also had another odd thing happen; I have been craving 13 or 14 candy bars a day. And usually I don't even like candy bars. And usually if I ate that much chocolate, my mouth would break out and I would feel sick. Not that I have ever eaten that much chocolate a day before! But I have wiped out the supplies near my house and have had to branch out to find more! It's a little embarrassing. I have no idea why I seem to NEED these. And my weight still stays down. I am otherwise eating normally (after that one week where I went all out and lost the 8 pounds)--it's just so weird. ANYHOW...Thanks to everyone for listening.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

I too have to say what you did was not at all a good thing! You can't just play with your thyroid meds. Thyroid meds are very powerful and affect so many functions in our body and mind. Never do this again.

I disagree with your doc about your fainting being ok when you have surgery because you will be laying down. After surgery, probably still under the effect of your anesthetic , you will get up and walk around. If your system is screwed up because of your playing with your meds , you could fall. Also , you may be given some pain meds later that could interact with your unbalanced system--also not good.

You have got to help yourself in a more adult , responsible fashion. Sure, everybody makes mistakes now and then, maybe like forgetting to take your daily meds, or can't find something etc. But playing with your meds to take some weight off is not a mistake it is a big lapse in judgment.

Come clean with your doc and get this situation completely straightened out before surgery! If you are looking forward to the improvement the surgery could make then don't do something to screw it up big time. I hope the best for you. Your thyroid meds are not diet pills. However did you get the idea just to use them like a diet pill???

About the candy bars-just stop doing excessive things. Get your thryoid meds right. Eat a properly balanced diet and hopefully you will feel better and won't be craving the candy.

Last edited by osteoblast; 07-16-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

What test did you have for anemia?
If it was hemeglobin, you should also have a ferritin level tested.

Hemeglobin is NOT the same thing as ferritin.
Optimal for ferritin is between 70 & 90.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

GCC-I don't know if you are asking me or someone else about the anemia test.As it applies to me, I'll respond. Maybe though you meant the question for someone else. I had the ferritin test several times. My first reading was 38 and I now have it up to 54. I am still working on it. I can't take too much iron because more that one pill a day rips up my stomach. So it will be slow progress about 6-8 points a month. 38 is not real low compared to some, but my doc wanted it up. I am aiming for the 70. Can't wait to be done with the iron, which has caused me to have to increase my thyroid meds.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
(female)

SPF5 HB User

Do you have a history of low blood pressure?

Like everyone else has said, you need to speak to your doctor about what you did and get updated labs ASAP.

Also speak to your doctor and pharmacist about the different medications you are on, their individual side effects, as well as how they may interact with each other. Sometimes drug interactions can create problems.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care,
SPF

Closed Thread